PDA

View Full Version : FOUND THE PROBLEM!! MY WATER. I WON'T KILL ANYMORE

discusmurderer
11-19-2010, 11:17 PM
hI TO ALL, I HAVE FINALLY FOUND THE PROBLEM!. I got some new fish and i decided to do alot of wc's to get max growth and i realised my fish started darting allover again, so i did what Eddie said and i even asked Dan and i did no meds and the more water i changed they would not stop sinning and darting, so i stopped the wc's and i added salt and i left them alone, and to my surprise they kept getting better every day. No scratching,flashing,or spinning. THEY ARE PERFECT! Could anyone tell me whats in my water thats making my fish freak out even though i am using prime and aging with an air stone overnight.This means i am being killed slowly with the water in my pipe.

William Palumbo
11-19-2010, 11:46 PM
Hey Picasso...You may want to pass your tapwater thru a GAC(Granular Activated Carbon) filter BEFORE it goes into your tank. At least until you know what the problem is. Prime, as good as it is...is not a miracle treatment...Bill

cp21506
11-20-2010, 03:09 AM
What's a good GAC filter I can get from Home Depot or Lowes?

kaceyo
11-20-2010, 02:46 PM
You'll want one that takes at least two or three cartridges so that you have alot of choices for filter media. 10" cartridges are best, with at least one pre-filter cartridge and one or two Carbon block cartridges.

discusmurderer
11-21-2010, 12:04 AM
Hey bill , i did pass it through a filter but it was one of those that i hooked up to a pipe that i fill my barrels
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad100/discusmurderer/DSCI1650.jpg I have a carbon cartridge in it . Is one not enough? i could set up three in a row.You can see the rust and the dirt in the filter.

discusmurderer
11-21-2010, 12:07 AM
You'll want one that takes at least two or three cartridges so that you have alot of choices for filter media. 10" cartridges are best, with at least one pre-filter cartridge and one or two Carbon block cartridges.

I will certainly use three because with this one only they were still being afected

William Palumbo
11-21-2010, 12:16 AM
That looks like a pleated micron(mechanical)filter. That's not a carbon one...Bill

discusmurderer
11-21-2010, 12:21 AM
That looks like a pleated micron(mechanical)filter. That's not a carbon one...Bill

I know. I took the carbon one out cause the water was comming brown and it messed it up, i washed it out but i dont feel like putting it back.

kaceyo
11-21-2010, 02:12 PM
You need to run the water through a mechanical filters first to remove dirt, rust etc, then run it through one or two carbon block filters to remove chemicals etc.

joanr
11-21-2010, 02:32 PM
Are you filtering your family drinking water as well?

Ed13
11-21-2010, 02:43 PM
You need to run the water through a mechanical filters first to remove dirt, rust etc, then run it through one or two carbon block filters to remove chemicals etc.

As Kacey mentions you need at least one sediment filter before the carbon blocks, otherwise the carbon will be rendered useless as it clogs up. I'd also recommend water treated for fish use, to employ 2 or more carbon blocks as one alone rarely removes everything, especially chlorine.

nc0gnet0
11-21-2010, 08:17 PM
sounds like he is aready aging in a barrel, why not recirculate the aged water through a carbon block during the process? However, that being said, go back and read his first post......I doubt a carbon block will do anything here........

discusmurderer
11-22-2010, 09:22 PM

Hi kaceyo, Good idea, i was trying to think of someway to do that like put some sponge to block the dirt and rust then pass it though the carbon filters but i just cant think of an easy way to do it.

discusmurderer
11-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Are you filtering your family drinking water as well?Hey joanr, iI am taking water to cook and drink from the very same tap. The reason i bought it is cause i told my wife it was for cooking until she caught on then she said ( "THAT WAS REALY FOR THE FISH " ) so she caught me. but its a good thing i did cause only when i did this i saw how dirty my water out of the tap is.

As Kacey mentions you need at least one sediment filter before the carbon blocks, otherwise the carbon will be rendered useless as it clogs up. I'd also recommend water treated for fish use, to employ 2 or more carbon blocks as one alone rarely removes everything, especially chlorine.I am thinking of doing that . that one in the pic cost 130 bucks which is 21 USD so three would be 63 bucks us ,all i have to do is hook them up in series and try to put some sort of sponge filter to take out the sediments.

sounds like he is aready aging in a barrel, why not recirculate the aged water through a carbon block during the process? However, that being said, go back and read his first post......I doubt a carbon block will do anything here........

Hi nc0gnet0,I am filtering the water over and over through a king 2 pond pump in the barrells but before i put the water into the barrells it filters through the carbon at the pipe in the photo. inside of the pond pump has a sponge and it is a very tight sponge, it does not have big holes in it. When i clean it it has a lot of dirt and rust in it . I am going to use the three in one filter and keep on circulating in the barrels cause the fish is not getting worse they are getting better as i clean the water more.So it wasnt wirling disease or a virus but my water company killing my fishes.

kaceyo
11-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Hi kaceyo, Good idea, i was trying to think of someway to do that like put some sponge to block the dirt and rust then pass it though the carbon filters but i just cant think of an easy way to do it.

Just get one or two more filter housings like the one you have and run them consecutively. Put a 10 micron prefilter cartridge in the first, then carbon block cartidge in the next.

discusmurderer
11-23-2010, 11:35 PM
Just get one or two more filter housings like the one you have and run them consecutively. Put a 10 micron prefilter cartridge in the first, then carbon block cartidge in the next.Ok Kacey, I am going to do that and i am sure there will be no problems again . Do u have the same set up at your place? . I did not think the water we have at the taps would be so bad. Is the us water bad also?

kaceyo
11-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Yes, I have a setup just like that. The water where I live is very good but it's not like that everywhere. Mine is mostly for removing chlorine, but it doesn't hurt to clean up what little contaminents there are in it anyways.

discusmurderer
11-24-2010, 10:40 PM
Yes, I have a setup just like that. The water where I live is very good but it's not like that everywhere. Mine is mostly for removing chlorine, but it doesn't hurt to clean up what little contaminents there are in it anyways.

That three in one filter system, does it remove chlorine? and there is one question! I remember reading a thread that carbon releases the toxins that it collects at any time and that it is not safe to use carbon so with all these 10 micron filters (3) in a row would'nt it be dangerous because we don't know the time line that it would release.

William Palumbo
11-24-2010, 11:17 PM
Unless you plan on putting the carbon in a blast furnace, or acid washing it...it will not leech anything that it adsorbed...Bill

kaceyo
11-24-2010, 11:53 PM
Unless you plan on putting the carbon in a blast furnace, or acid washing it...it will not leech anything that it adsorbed...Bill

That's right. It's a myth that carbon can release what it's collected back into the water.
It does remove chlorine.

discusmurderer
11-25-2010, 12:43 AM

Ok , that thing i read could have been on the net somewhere, i made a mistake saying it was on a thread.thanks for replying

discusmurderer
11-25-2010, 12:47 AM
That's right. It's a myth that carbon can release what it's collected back into the water.
It does remove chlorine.

Hey kacey, I am certainly going to set up one of those three in one systems. Can i use 10 microns in each one of the three?

Elite Aquaria
11-25-2010, 09:33 AM
This is what I would recommend. I would change your filters every 6 months and I would also move your system inside and keep it out of the sunlight.

This filter array includes:

1 - 10 micron heavy duty Poly Pro Sediment filter
1 - 5 micron acid washed Gem coconut carbon block filter
1 - 1 micron acid washed Gem coconut carbon block filter

Here are some photos, click on the photo to place your order...

3 Pack Filter Array - $19.99
http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv10/eliteaquaria/3PK.jpg (http://www.eliteaquaria.com/3_Pack_Filter_Array_p/i3pk.htm)

6 Pack Filter Array - $29.99
http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv10/eliteaquaria/six_pack.jpg (http://www.eliteaquaria.com/6_Pack_Filter_Array_p/i6pk.htm)

discusmurderer
11-25-2010, 11:47 PM
Wow dan that price is better than down here, i checked one of those out and its $55.00 that would be 165.00 my money and $28.00 USD . I am going to give u a pm

Elite Aquaria
11-25-2010, 11:51 PM
Wow that is expensive

discusmurderer
11-26-2010, 12:10 AM
Are you checking something Dan, First of all i thought it was whirling ,then i thought it was a virus and all the years i have been trying with discus its as simple as the water that comes out of my tap. Then i myself am drinking and cooking with poison. I saw in my news 4 days ago somewhere where a politician was caught with his sewer pipes flowing into the river that leads to the main reserviour( water treatment plant). Mabey that is why my fish are dying.

gautamhazare
02-19-2011, 03:08 PM
Hi Discusmurdere, So carbon filer saolved the problem you were facing? I have been experiancing same behaviour with my dicus, some of them will go crazy and would almost try to jump out of water, adding salt does show improvements in them.

Condor
02-19-2011, 04:55 PM
Maybe this info will help...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?76921-HMA-Filter&highlight=

wendy9722
02-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Man, if I was dealing with those issues I would have went out to buy spring water from the store and in the mean time take a water sample to a place to get it tested in more detail than our common fish test kits. Best of luck with the water issues getting resolved. BTW, your pic didnt show anything.

Wendy