PDA

View Full Version : Discus Breeding in TRIO!

anhminh2802
11-21-2010, 01:47 PM
Dear all,
I have many adult discus in my community tank. And I put the cone in there to encourage them to breed. In 2 weeks, I always see 3 of them guarding the cone together and they are dominant half of the tank. Last 2 days, all 3 stuck with the cones and laid eggs together. What does it mean? Did this happen to anyone before ? They really pair up in TRIO like threesome?
Thank you for your all input :D

joanr
11-21-2010, 03:18 PM
Yes, they will. I have 4 females, 1 male and one undecided in a 75 gal. Everytime I change the water I have to add an extra cone as they will start to lay eggs and get territorial. Two or three females will surround one cone and protect the female who is laying eggs. They take turns. Last night I had three cones in the tank since they all wanted their own cone. The poor male in the tank has gone his rounds trying to pair up with one of the gals but they seem to ignore him. The youngest member of the crew, my PE, just goes around trying to eat all the eggs but has not made a pass at a cone unless to eat eggs. It's what happens when the sexes in the tank are so unevenly distributed. I guess if I wanted to breed I could pull the male and isolate him with one of the females but that's not in my plans right now.

anhminh2802
11-22-2010, 11:18 PM
may I put all 3 of them into the separate tank? Do you guys think it will be better to 3 discus raising the fry?

Altum Nut
11-23-2010, 12:25 AM
I had the same happen with a male and two females laying in the community tank which made it to wigglers and free swimmers. I took all three and put them in a 29g. They laid but one female was being pushed away so I removed her.
Turned out to be a great pair.

...Ralph