PDA

View Full Version : Best Gravel Vacuum for pool sand

JaVia
11-21-2010, 02:03 PM
What is everyones opinion?

I have a pitiful generic vacuum, its not big enough. I want to upgrade. I want one that drains into the sink, I am not sure if I should make one or buy one.
I have the round type of vacuum, I am not sure what works better the round ones or the flat headed ones.

My tank is planted behind a retaining wall. The front is maybe 1/4 inch of sand so that is easy to clean..

Thanks for the opinions!

dr6run
11-22-2010, 03:55 PM
I've found the best way for me is to lightly stir it up, wait for it to settle, then vacuum off the top not actually touching the sand. this way keeps the sand aerated as well, (no risk of toxic buildup) but at 1/4 inch depth not much to clean...just skim the top

Yboat
11-22-2010, 04:21 PM
what I use to do is just vac it out and replace it. its cheap and if you do a little bit every time its no big deal.

JaVia
11-22-2010, 07:01 PM
The back half is planted so I can not just replace it often. It would be a hassle replanting everything. I skim the top usually but I do not like my vacuum. I am not sure which one to buy

Darrell Ward
11-22-2010, 07:06 PM
I prefer to make my own out of 1"pvc pipe, fittings, and 1/2" tubing from Lowes. I use an adapter (also from Lowes) on the end of the tubing that allows me to screw on a garden hose that allows me to drain water right out the door. I can use different lengths of pipe on the suction end for different tanks, as I have a couple of tanks that are 30" deep. I've found the 1" pipe makes for ideal suction.

JaVia
11-25-2010, 08:07 PM
The only issue I would have with PVC pipe is the color. I have accidently sucked up a small fish before ( i know it sounds horrible) and with a white tube I could never tell.... Unless PVC comes in clear too...

Darrell Ward
11-26-2010, 01:09 PM
Yes, you get clear pvc. You'll have to order it however, unless you have a Grainger store nearby. That is the only place I know that stocks it.

cyberhog05
11-27-2010, 12:37 AM
Almost any town will have a Plexi glass store of some kind. Get your clear pipe there. I myself use a mixture of home made and store bought python type cleaners. I also agree that a 1-1 1/4" pipe works best. The hose that comes with store bought cleaners imo is to small. I use the 1/2" id for filling but garden hose for draining. I have a 180 and I dont want wc's to take 5 hours. I also pieced together an adapter to fill straight from my tap(well water). Best money I ever spent. And here is a link to my diy faucet adapter.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212656

Oh! I know draining into your sink sounds oh so handy...Its not...unless you have a little tank. The rise from tank to sink really slows the drainage down. Out the door or near window really seems to speed things up for me.

Apistomaster
11-28-2010, 10:25 PM
I am able to drain my tanks out a door and into the yard so I have no need for any Venturi Effect driven water changing systems like the Python design. I also discourage anyone from allowing the sand which does get siphoned out from going down a drain as this can lead to an expensive plumber's house call or you own emergency home repairs list of unwanted projects.
I simply use a standard gravel siphon then extend it to a 25 ft length of black flexible plastic hose. I use a barbed connector to attach the basic siphon to the extension hose. I can vacuum debris from any sand in place by simply kinking the hose enough to exactly control the flow to that which is optimal for a given substrate. I kink the hose to completely stop the flow when moving to the next adjacent area of dirty substrate.
Completely removing the sand is unnecessary nor desirable in planted tanks. I can't think of any really good reasons why anyone would want to do so other than if replacing the sand with something different is your intention.

BABYJIZAY
11-28-2010, 10:40 PM
I live in an apartment, so I use a python on my 55 gallon tank. Easy as pie. Doesn't take long at all.... however, I just got a 125 gallon, and I tested it out for leaks. It took 27 minutes to fill, and twice as long to empty. I'd love to be able to empty it out my window but don't think the neighbors would enjoy that type of shower.

Yboat
11-28-2010, 11:51 PM
Drain it into the shower/ tub. there is enough of a drop in elevation to where it will flow just fine once its started. just get a bigger hose to increase the flow.

Apistomaster
11-29-2010, 11:25 AM
If you do siphon from the tanks to the bath tub rig something up so the water drains into a small bucket. That will separate any sand you accidentally removed and keep it from plugging the drain. Apartment managers are quick to blame plumbing problems like clogged drains on aquarium keeping tenants even when there is no evidence for it.
I have had that experience.
The managers I really made nervous were the one's living in the unit below me on the first floor and I was on the second. My new 125 gal I had back then made them very nervous. I worked for an engineering firm and one of the engineers gave me enough data to support my claim the floors would support the weight unless the apartment was not up to code. That shut them up.

Second Hand Pat
11-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Draining into a bucket will also save any fish should one get sucked into the gravel cleaner.