PDA

View Full Version : ARG.....why do they eat there eggs.

wadewc
11-21-2010, 11:56 PM
Well this is the fourth time they laid eggs. I don't understand why they eat their eggs. I put mesh around the eggs yesterday. They male was being aggresive towards the eggs and the female was knocking him away. Moved him into another tank. Watched the mother taking care of the eggs feeling a little, what ever, i took the mesh off this morning. She was doing fine then...she just got throught eating the eggs. Am I doing something wrong or is it they are just young?

Thanks,
Wade

William Palumbo
11-22-2010, 12:48 AM
Not sure how old your pair is. Most times it's the female that will eat the eggs. why did you remove the screen? It's there to protect the eggs. Leave it on until the fry go freeswimming...Bill

ockyra215
11-22-2010, 10:09 AM
I agree leave the screen on till they go free swimming.You may have a better chance!

Jason K.
11-22-2010, 10:30 AM
hey wade, I guess i'd also have to agree. I took the mesh off so they could remove the fungus, may have been a mistake because they ate the wrigglers. "if at first you don't succeed try.. try... again!!...."

wadewc
11-23-2010, 09:45 AM
Bill, The pair is approximatley 14 months old. It looked like the male was the one eating the eggs. So I moved him into another tank and then she ate the dang things. I just thought there was a reason or something they made them eate their eggs. I will leave the screen on the next time until they become free swimmers.

Thanks,
Wade

wadewc
11-23-2010, 09:46 AM
Thanks Dave! I will give it a try.

Wade

wadewc
11-23-2010, 09:51 AM
hey wade, I guess i'd also have to agree. I took the mesh off so they could remove the fungus, may have been a mistake because they ate the wrigglers. "if at first you don't succeed try.. try... again!!...."

Well I always prided my self on patience. [Three kids and five grand children lol] It is a little aggrivating to be so close but yet so far. I will show no pitty this time and I will leave the mesh on untill they become free swimmers. I wish you all the luck with yours Jay.

Have a great day,
Wade

John_Nicholson
11-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Also it is normally the females that eat the eggs.....

-john

DerekFF
11-25-2010, 12:37 PM
my male is the egg eater to.....he was a perfect dad the 1st spawn, and since has been a little egg snatcher. Not much i can do other than let them keep doing it till it happens right again lol

Rex82
11-26-2010, 04:50 AM
I have a male that eats eggs as they are laid. Very frustrating but I'm hoping he will get better

wadewc
11-26-2010, 09:29 AM
Sorry for the delay. I have been in the hospital for a few days getting some test ran. The thrills of getting older.
I am waiting for her to lay eggs again. It should be any day know. But, I was wondering why do they eat their eggs? Is it a nature thing, a habitat issue or is it the luck of the draw?

Thanks,
Wade

discuspaul
11-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Sorry for the delay. I have been in the hospital for a few days getting some test ran. The thrills of getting older.
I am waiting for her to lay eggs again. It should be any day know. But, I was wondering why do they eat their eggs? Is it a nature thing, a habitat issue or is it the luck of the draw?

Thanks,
Wade

You eat eggs too, don't you ? And I bet you like them too.
Many mammals & fish are the same way - particularly if they're hungry. LOL
Seriously, discus, like angels, eat their eggs if hungry, and/or young at the rearing game, and don't know any better.
One of the primary reasons however, is that it's nature's way for young parents to protect their eggs from harm's way. If young mating fish in particular sense any danger to their spawn, get scared & stressed in some way, they'll eat the eggs rather than having them exposed to other perceived dangers. (It's like - you won't get them, cause I will - you're out of luck.) Had a friend who bred angels many times - and after his young mated pair ate their eggs several times, he finally covered the tank with towelling all around & never bothered them at all - just surreptiously fed them daily- they never saw him for about 2 weeks every time they spawned, if I remember right. They never ate their spawn again after that - he maintained that same routine for a long time.

discuspaul
11-26-2010, 06:25 PM
An afterthought:
Some birds & mammals will do the same - eat their eggs or their young, if they sense another danger to their brood. It's instinct. Egyptian mouthbreeders are the same way . They take wigglers, eggs too I believe, into their mouths to 'protect' them from outside dangers - except they seem to know better than to swallow them - they spit them out when the danger is perceived to be gone.