PDA

View Full Version : What strain is this discus?

Thelocal
11-23-2010, 10:20 AM
Hello, firstly thanks for taking the time to read my post. I have recently gotten hooked onto the discus bandwagon and have purchased 3 discus from my LFS, all three juveniles, they have gone straight into my 50g tank which contains mainly community fish like tetras and some bottom dwellers. anyways i have had some trouble finding out what strain one of the discus is, oh btw it's only about 2-2.5 inches, so this is my question to you guys....

What strain is this discus?

http://www.munsterfishkeeping.com/images/IrishDiscus.jpg

This is not my fish but I'm sorta new and i don't know how to upload my own photos yet. my discus look almost identical apart from some small peppering on the nose and the tail is mostly black rather than clear as displayed in the image provided, but apart from that identical.

Thanks Thelocal.

hedut
11-23-2010, 10:32 AM
That fish is to small to tell what it is. Could be red melon and for sure pigeon base :)

Skip
11-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Welcome to the Addiction!!! Enjoy.. its how i started a few months ago.. if you have any questions. go to the search box in top right corner.. put in your keywords.. and TONS of Posts/Threads will come up.. i have found this to be invaluable.. esp. since any question i may have.. 10 others have already asked!! just a little FYI.. it will help you get information really fast!! when and if you need it..

scottthomas
11-23-2010, 07:47 PM
If your discus has a black tail and some slight peppering, you have a Pigeon Blood Strain of some type. Hard to tell what to call them as juvies. Maybe a marlboro pigeon? There are several varieties that are red or orange in color.

Thelocal
11-23-2010, 08:48 PM
whoa thanks for the quick as reply.

@Hedut and Scottthomas: OK yeah its still very small, and i also thought it might have some Pigeon Blood Strain.

@warlock4169: thanks for the advice, im still geting used to the website, i have read heaps (like a week now for about 3-4 hrs a day) and still i feel that i have only just brushed the surface to discus fish keeping.

Thanks everyone and will hope to grow big healthy discus.

cgronko
11-28-2010, 10:07 PM
a super red