PDA

View Full Version : cheap aquarium supplies?

cobsterrr
11-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Hey guys,

I came across a few online aquarium suppliers but seem to have lost their links. I was wondering if anyone knows where i can get aquarium supplies for a reasonable/safe price online? Specifically im looking for an extra JAEGER heater and a auto-siphon that attaches to my sink...

thank you
:)

Skip
11-23-2010, 07:00 PM
Kensfish...he is a sponsor.. best prices.. hands down.. :)

brewmaster15
11-23-2010, 07:01 PM
http://kensfish.com

he's a sponsor and has great prices on Ebos and many other supplies...also check with Dan at EliteAquaria.com also a sponsor here.

hth,
al

cobsterrr
11-26-2010, 07:07 PM
kens fish is awesome! does anyone use an autosiphon here? I want to buy the 25' one which automatically siphons water out of the tank and returns water through a sink faucet. I seem to have an issue my sink is about 28' away when the tubing is only 25' long. I dont want to upgrade to the 50' (which is the next longest option) because i'm worried about a lack of pressure? or if it would even work? Has anyone come across this or use this product who can add some input?

snowflake311
11-27-2010, 03:20 AM
I buy most all fish stuff from water treatment, food, filters and much more from Big Als. They have the best price and ship fast. Also they are good about returnes. I have been buying from them for years. You can collect points too so you get discounts.

fishorama
11-27-2010, 01:57 PM
You can buy a 10ft extension

Jhhnn
11-28-2010, 01:11 PM
kens fish is awesome! does anyone use an autosiphon here? I want to buy the 25' one which automatically siphons water out of the tank and returns water through a sink faucet. I seem to have an issue my sink is about 28' away when the tubing is only 25' long. I dont want to upgrade to the 50' (which is the next longest option) because i'm worried about a lack of pressure? or if it would even work? Has anyone come across this or use this product who can add some input?

It's called a python, and they don't work nearly as well as they'd like you to think, at least not for draining. They also waste a lot of water in the process. Good for filling, though. 10' lengths of vinyl tubing and barbed splicers are available at most home centers, and a really good adjunct to a python is a powerhead safety siphon from Jehmco or something similar-

http://www.jehmco.com/html/safety_siphon_aquarium_drain.html

They're a good outfit, very good, but I deal with Kensfish when I can because he sponsors this site...

Drain downhill, if you can, into a tub or toilet...

cobsterrr
11-28-2010, 08:00 PM
It's called a python, and they don't work nearly as well as they'd like you to think, at least not for draining. They also waste a lot of water in the process. Good for filling, though. 10' lengths of vinyl tubing and barbed splicers are available at most home centers, and a really good adjunct to a python is a powerhead safety siphon from Jehmco or something similar-

http://www.jehmco.com/html/safety_siphon_aquarium_drain.html

They're a good outfit, very good, but I deal with Kensfish when I can because he sponsors this site...

Drain downhill, if you can, into a tub or toilet...

Thank you. I ordered the python with the 10' extension. I really hope it works, unfortunately i wont be draining downhill but into a bar sink at the same elevation but about 25' away as my tank would that be ok???

Jhhnn
11-28-2010, 09:30 PM
It'll work, but it's unlikely you'll be happy with it entirely for the reasons offered above. You'll want to be able to drain faster and not waste water doing so- the only answer in your circumstances is to use a pump for that. You'll see... honest. And it's not a big deal to get a suitable submersible pump or powerhead, put it on the tank end of the python hose- it just costs money.

cobsterrr
11-28-2010, 09:37 PM
It'll work, but it's unlikely you'll be happy with it entirely for the reasons offered above. You'll want to be able to drain faster and not waste water doing so- the only answer in your circumstances is to use a pump for that. You'll see... honest. And it's not a big deal to get a suitable submersible pump or powerhead, put it on the tank end of the python hose- it just costs money.

hmmm sounds interesting...what do you mean by pump? sorry for the questions I'm just tired of my back almost breaking!

Darrell Ward
11-29-2010, 05:35 PM
Pythons are junk! They have always been junk. They charge you way too much money for a bunch of tubing, bogus faucet pump, and cheap quality connectors. You could walk in to any home improvement center, and buy all that stuff to make your own for half the cost. Thousands of people still would argue that they are the greatest things ever. The truth is it ain't nothing compared to a good submersible water pump with a garden hose adapter attached.

Greenheinie
11-29-2010, 06:19 PM
+1 for Kens and the occasional Fosters/Smith buy.

I like the Python. I don't use it for draining cuz, as mentioned above, it wastes tons of water. Luckily I'm still young and don't mind hauling 5 gallon buckets to the sink (I consider it my workout :)). For somebody older with back problems/no strength, or somebody who is not so savvy with making your own makeshift Python, then it at least gets the job done.

cobsterrr
11-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Pythons are junk! They have always been junk. They charge you way too much money for a bunch of tubing, bogus faucet pump, and cheap quality connectors. You could walk in to any home improvement center, and buy all that stuff to make your own for half the cost. Thousands of people still would argue that they are the greatest things ever. The truth is it ain't nothing compared to a good submersible water pump with a garden hose adapter attached.

WHAT PUMPS AARE WE TALKING ABOUT HERE??? insight would be nice.

Darrell Ward
11-29-2010, 07:04 PM
Mag Drive, or Via Aqua, Rio, Eheim, Quiet One. Take your pick as to brand and size. It depends on how fast you want to drain water. I use a Via Aqua 1300 for smaller tanks, and a Via Aqua 2600 for my larger tanks, the 150 gal, 240 gal., and 300 gal. The 2600 pumps around 740 gph. I think the 1300 pumps around 190 gph or so. I use this brand only because a I got a great deal on several of them a few years ago. They work fine for draining and filling tanks.

Jhhnn
11-30-2010, 10:01 AM
I hesitated to reply wrt an appropriate pump for your purposes, cobsterrr, because of my limited experience with smaller & less expensive submersible pumps. For everybody who'll recommend a particular brand and size, there's somebody else who'll say they're junk. I'd say that an email to Kensfish or a phonecall to John at Jehmco would help you make a good choice, as they're a lot more familiar with their products. Tell them what you're trying to do and the equipment you're using so they can help you out.

gerrard00
11-30-2010, 11:55 AM
I don't mean to fork, but can someone explain to me how the python wastes tons of water? I have to run the faucet for about a minute while I start up the siphon, but then I turn off the water while the tank drains and the siphon takes over. The amount of water I use to start up the siphon is nothing compared to filling 1/2 of a 72 gallon tank. Am I missing something?

Jhhnn
11-30-2010, 08:14 PM
I don't mean to fork, but can someone explain to me how the python wastes tons of water? I have to run the faucet for about a minute while I start up the siphon, but then I turn off the water while the tank drains and the siphon takes over. The amount of water I use to start up the siphon is nothing compared to filling 1/2 of a 72 gallon tank. Am I missing something?

Lots of tanks aren't higher than the sink, so python users have to keep the sink water running to pull water uphill out of the tank...

Capische?

Darrell Ward
12-01-2010, 03:03 AM
Lots of tanks aren't higher than the sink, so python users have to keep the sink water running to pull water uphill out of the tank...

Capische?

They don't work very well either if you're not hooked up to public water mains. Most private sources of water using much smaller piping lack the higher water pressures needed to operate a faucet pump.

gerrard00
12-01-2010, 11:55 AM
Ah, that makes perfect sense. I hadn't thought of that.

As someone who has a sink that's a tiny bit higher than my tank and about 20 feet away, I have to say the python works perfectly for me and wastes very little water. I was very pleasantly surprised. I also have pretty low water pressure in my apartment vs. other places I've lived, but I understand it's probably still much stronger than someone who is drawing from a well or what have you.

BODYDUB
12-01-2010, 08:59 PM
The first I heard of Ken, I'm checking his site now.............

fishorama
12-01-2010, 09:30 PM
I start my Python at the sink then throw it in the tub. I reattach it to the kitchen sink to refill. This doesn't work for everyone, depends on your situation...

cobsterrr
12-02-2010, 02:47 PM
sounds interesting. I ordered my python and cleaning essentials from kensfish, he delivered promptly and they are in transit (UPS) with a tracking #. I hope the python works efficiently, I'm not into wasting water as i could just have that water flowing into my tank :) I'll see how it goes and update.

BODYDUB
12-02-2010, 07:24 PM
I start my Python at the sink then throw it in the tub. I reattach it to the kitchen sink to refill. This doesn't work for everyone, depends on your situation...

I tried this method today, and I already started to save on my water bill!!!!!!!!

David Rose
12-02-2010, 08:40 PM
IGO PRO is worth checking out at as well. Just weigh your options, especially, inclusive of the shipping costs and customer service.

nc0gnet0
12-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Personally I think a self priming inline pump is much easier to work with than a submersable. That way you only have to deal with the hose inside the tank.

cobsterrr
12-04-2010, 07:11 PM
just received my order from KensFish. The python works like a champ did a 30 gallon water change in less than 15 min on my first try. True it wastes a grip load of water I'm going to have to do something about that....

on the bright side he threw in some of his beefheart flake mix and my discus that NEVER eat flakes have been ALL over it!

Jennie
12-04-2010, 09:15 PM
YOU KNOW WHAT I DO. I don't drain via the faucet. I get the suction going and let it free drain into a shower, then drag the hose end to the faucet and hook it to the adapter to refill tank. Saves a ton of water

David Rose
12-05-2010, 08:58 AM
I stopped using the faucet attachment long ago given the wasted water and I had a problem with lower water pressure, so the suction was weak for vacuuming my tank. Of course it makes a difference on the height of your tank and the vacuum tube itself. My 140G is 32" high, which didn't help for water pressure.

My best recommendation is to use a Maxi-jet 1200 Power Jet that moves 500gph. I use that on the end of my Python hose now and use grippers to move it about controlling the intake nozzle. I vacuum for about five minutes this way to clean the bottom then just adjust the length of hose to maintain the position of the Maxi-jet at the level that I want the water to be drained then sit down or do other things. If you're not watching, the gurgling will act as an alarm to have you unplug the Maxi-jet. The other end of the hose goes outside to water garden islands near my front door. Really speeds up the water change routine to about 15-20 minutes to drain a 140 gallon tank.

Caution, may not be good if you have small fish like Tetras, but I found they stay away from the nozzle. I suppose you could still drain into the sink with the faucet attachment or other locations as suggested. I have a 50' hose, so I drain outside or down into a utility sink in my basement laundry room depending on weather or preference.

cobsterrr
12-05-2010, 02:22 PM
YOU KNOW WHAT I DO. I don't drain via the faucet. I get the suction going and let it free drain into a shower, then drag the hose end to the faucet and hook it to the adapter to refill tank. Saves a ton of water

how do you keep the suction going...from what i noticed suction only happens when the water is on, and even stronger when the drain is at full blast. If i turn off the faucet my python stops suctioning water...

fishorama
12-05-2010, 08:55 PM
You need to have the hose end lower than the tank, it speeds things up immensely. Either to a tub/shower or out a window. Just get the siphon going with the sink, then detach & go...downhill

cobsterrr
12-06-2010, 01:53 PM
gotcha thanks!