PDA

View Full Version : How long do wild discus live for ?

goodoo
11-28-2010, 07:51 AM
Heiko maybe you can answer this one . Im not talking average but the odd discus must live for a long time So I suppose I wanna no about the top 2% im thinking 25 years maybe ?

kent1963
11-28-2010, 06:34 PM
I can't say about discus but I've had several large cichlids go past 14 years and I currently have a clown loach that I've had since march of 1990. I don't see any reason discus can't live into that range.

William Palumbo
11-28-2010, 08:09 PM
I don't see too much in the wild dying of old age. I think the captive ones would live longer...Bill

Apistomaster
11-28-2010, 09:06 PM
About 14 years in captivity including the time they were still in the wild.
My guess is that in the wild very few live to be 10 years. The many dry seasons and resulting increase in predation makes life in the wild hazardous to Discus.

kent1963
11-28-2010, 09:38 PM
I should have read closer, I was thinking in the tank NOT wild.I'd say that your less then 10 years statement is pretty accurate.

goodoo
11-29-2010, 03:28 AM
I'd like to know if there is any proof from collectors or scientists.

Heiko Bleher
11-29-2010, 01:35 PM
Hi,

no one could know how long they live in the wild, unless you tag them, which will hardly ever be done. But from my collectings and knowing pretty well the age of a discus looking at it (hardly ever missed), I can tell you than in nature Discus live hardly ever more than 5 years. Also because of the pressure of predatation where they live and in partucular in/during the dry season. And I would say that the average live-spawn of Discus in the wild is between 3-4 years.

Now in captivity Larry is correct, a 10-year live span of a Discus is possible, but also hardly more I would say. In my latest reserach with breeders around the globe I have some which start only breeding them after the 6th year - which would never happen in nature. I have seen discus with breders of 7-8 years of age, but I think never seen anyone who had them more than 10 years.

So I hope this answers the question. If anyone has a record of haveing for certain had a Discus for more than 10 years, let me know.

best regards

Heiko Bleher

goodoo
11-30-2010, 02:42 AM
Thanks Heiko. A guy on discus forums, username ILLUSN, Had a pigion blood for over 14 years. Its interesting To think That they live longer in captivity. I thought someone would of tagged a few discus by now. We have a freshwater fish here in Australia called the "Murray Cod". Have you heard of it ? They are beautifull fish When you see them out of the water. The oldest recorded Murray Cod was 48yrs although 70 yrs would be easy for these monsters. 113kg is the biggest recorded. I have caught them up to 30pounds And they are quite legendary in Aus. I suppose I was dreaming of a montster discus 3kgs and 25yrs old. Maybe I can come Tag some discus with you some day.

aequifasciatus
12-01-2010, 04:36 AM
Hi Heiko,

Can you remember when you visited Heinze Staude in Melbourne many years ago?
He had a tank full of Frontosa some of which were at least 25 years old then. I don't know what happened to them as I haven't been to his shop since last century (that sure makes me sound old):):):)
Can you remember where you left your autograph in his shop?:p:p:p
In Australia, we just lost a "Loggerhead" (I think) turtle that was 175 years old.

Aequifsciatus

Heiko Bleher
12-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Hi to both Australians,

Goodoo in the Capital City down under, I know very well your Murray Cod, also because a couple of years ago I was again on the Murray and it was very disappointing for the eroosion, introductions and white, muddy, waters... But anyhow, the record for a fish we have I wrote about it in NUTRAFIN AQUATIC NEWS (see under www.hagen.com issue 4) it was a carp and I think it was 232 years. But I thought the questions was Discus. And if a guy had one for 14 years, that is almost a Discus-Record. Maybe worth a Guinness (I mean the Book of Records, not the beer...). You can come anytime, Discus collecting is every year, once, twice, or sometimes even three times. Just book in advance...to my e-mail.

Symphysodon aequifasciatus, or should I say just Green Discus? I remember very, very well Heiny Staude, of several reasons, but mainly because it is the only place and time in my life that I had to sign - give my authograph - on the wall of a joint (toilette), I am sure you know.
So my carp beats your C. frontosa and even the Loggerhead....

All the very best to down under getting warm, while here it is getting cold, we had snow today in northern Italy.

But I hope both of you come to my confernences (3) in Brisbane next October, to the ANGFA National Convention, the most excited get totgether of fishy people down under (and one of the best in the world...).

Always
Heiko

kaj.p
12-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Not a wild one but this red turquise came from my first spawn 1989. From this big brood (11 pc;)) I had one untill he died in the beginnings of 2001. So I had him for almost 12 years. I dont know what caused his death to die, there was no sign of disease.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc195/kajpersson/Brilljant-Red-Tuquise-lekpar.jpg