PDA

View Full Version : Flake Foods: Do you have any problems?

Skip
11-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Ok.. soooooooooooooooo..
i have noticed.. that if i feed my fish flake food more then once a day.. i seem to get one fish that starts to head stand.. and is fighting to keep from floating to surface.. maybe cuz he is bloated or something... i feed beefheart flake, Prime Reef, & Mix (my lfs sells flake in bulk, so i picked up several varities)

Yesterday, i feed maybe 3 times flake.. but last nite, i noticed was a head stander.. i put in my epson salt treatment.. thats all i can do..

i also feed my larger fish tetra bits.. but i use to just feed them directly, until one got bloated (i read that the food can expand in their tummys..) so now i soak for a few minutes beforehand.. no more problems...

but question is.. has anybody ever noticed something like this?? could an ingredient in flake be doing this? the Flake Mix contains Earthworm, plankton, spirilina, omega one and a couple of other flakes..
can they jus be OVEREATING cuz they like it soo much?

i just don't get it?

any thoughts?

stanlee
11-29-2010, 10:26 AM
flakes tend to expand when in the stomach, so the fish usually take more than they should.
most likely overeating. starve the fish should make it horizontal again.
all the best.

William Palumbo
11-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Not sure Warlock. I feed a LOT of flakes, and I have not seen a problem because of it. Not saying it can't happen...you know Discus!...Bill

Skip
11-29-2010, 11:40 AM
Me Neither!! :flame:

DonMD
11-29-2010, 06:01 PM
I haven't had this "flake" problem with my discus, and they get flakes 4 times daily with an automatic feeder. But I have had this problem with ryuken goldfish. Not head standing, but bobbing on the surface like ping pong balls. Now we pre-soak the flakes so that they don't gulp air while eating, and we've gotten past that one issue . . . Their intestinal tracts are so wound up that any air can cause them problems, and they will feed from the surface. My discus do too, but not as much.

scottthomas
11-29-2010, 06:47 PM
I feed about 40% flakes and 60% my seafood/beef mix. A lot of flakes and only had bloat one or two times in several ye4ars. Always a young juvie that pigged out.

Frankr409
11-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Ok.. soooooooooooooooo..
i have noticed.. that if i feed my fish flake food more then once a day.. i seem to get one fish that starts to head stand.. and is fighting to keep from floating to surface.. maybe cuz he is bloated or something... i feed beefheart flake, Prime Reef, & Mix (my lfs sells flake in bulk, so i picked up several varities)

Yesterday, i feed maybe 3 times flake.. but last nite, i noticed was a head stander.. i put in my epson salt treatment.. thats all i can do..

i also feed my larger fish tetra bits.. but i use to just feed them directly, until one got bloated (i read that the food can expand in their tummys..) so now i soak for a few minutes beforehand.. no more problems...

but question is.. has anybody ever noticed something like this?? could an ingredient in flake be doing this? the Flake Mix contains Earthworm, plankton, spirilina, omega one and a couple of other flakes..
can they jus be OVEREATING cuz they like it soo much?

i just don't get it?

any thoughts?

Has more to do with ingredients that are not easily digested, like fish meal and binders for example. I would highly recommend something like New Life Spectrum pellets. Your fish will not bind up again.

William Palumbo
11-30-2010, 01:18 AM
Order yourself some flakes from Ed's Almost Natural Fish Food...absolutely NO binders, meals, or fillers in it. All food grade ingredients...Bill

pcsb23
11-30-2010, 07:12 AM
Only problem I have feeding flakes is that it gets pulled down into the sumps. Fixed that with some t pieces on the outlets. And I have never had a discus get bloat, no matter what I feed.

Jennie
11-30-2010, 09:38 AM
I only have this problem with juvies overstuffing themselves with Als blackworms. Closer observance shows them trying to stuff several worms in their face at one time. They seem to return to normal after 24 hours. I try to spread out more evenly and lightly.

CARY_GLdiscus
11-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Alittle but not anymore!

Try soaking Your flakes for 15 Min or So Worked for Me.
HTH
cary

Skip
11-30-2010, 02:08 PM
i will do soak the flakes.. i jus assumed that would not be an issue.. but it can't hurt!

Skip
12-01-2010, 06:10 PM
OK!! so.. is it possible for a fish to have bad guts? i noticed the same one was kind of head standing again.. keeping from floating up.. the others are fine.. and this is 2nd time this week he has done this.. SOOOOOOO!!

can a fish have CHRONIC BAD Insides..???

i think that is a pretty good question.. no??

fishorama
12-07-2010, 08:44 PM
From what I've read some strains DO have bloating issues, BDs? My crosses seem ok, but it could be an individual fish problem, some are piggier than others...