PDA

View Full Version : Where are your fish?

LizStreithorst
11-29-2010, 04:45 PM
I curious as to how many people have dedicatated fish rooms and how many of you keep them in your house.

Jennie
11-29-2010, 04:50 PM
Do you mean breeders only liz??
I have a family room where all my tanks are but nowhere else in my home, but I am no breeder.. I think garage would limit it to those who live in very warm states

Kingdom Come Discus
11-29-2010, 04:55 PM
I have a fish room, old garage, and three other rooms with tanks. If it were up to me every room in the house would have at least one tank in it, but I wouldn't be married.

2wheelsx2
11-29-2010, 04:58 PM
One tank in my bedroom, one in the living room and one in the basement den. But the bedroom one and the one in the living room are being consolidated into a single big square tank.

William Palumbo
11-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Mine are all in the basement fishroom. No tanks in my living area...Bill

pcsb23
11-29-2010, 05:58 PM
I have a fish room, old garage, and three other rooms with tanks. If it were up to me every room in the house would have at least one tank in it, but I wouldn't be married.I can relate to this :bandana: I have a small fishroom (converted garage) and one in the house :)

LizStreithorst
11-29-2010, 06:10 PM
Do you mean breeders only liz??
I have a family room where all my tanks are but nowhere else in my home, but I am no breeder.. I think garage would limit it to those who live in very warm states

No, I meant everyone. I'm curious to know where people keep their fish and whether they are satisfied with it. Personally, mine are in the house, but I would kill for a fish room.

BTW, a garage works great but it must be well insulated and ventilated correctly.

cyberhog05
11-29-2010, 06:17 PM
I think another option of "In your septic tank" should be added! I have a few in the 1200gal:( Hey....It happens to all of us!

mmorris
11-29-2010, 06:25 PM
Having a fish room is such a relief! I was so tired of having tanks everywhere, fish supplies everywhere, no room to move, constantly worrying about spills/floods.

Jennie
11-29-2010, 06:35 PM
yes Martha, fish tanks in the shower?? I'm sure you are relieved

Jennie
11-29-2010, 06:36 PM
yes heated would be awsome. My garage maybe today is at 32 by now! Anyway the fam. room is my space, man free, dog free etc..just me my fish and my flatscreen! Perfect setup, no??

John_Nicholson
11-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Liz since I built my fish their own house how do I vote?

-john

LizStreithorst
11-29-2010, 07:09 PM
You vote for the one that says something like "in the fish house with one or to in the human house".

nc0gnet0
11-29-2010, 07:09 PM
I am confused by the question, can't a dedicated fish room be in the house?

Harriett
11-29-2010, 07:20 PM
Mine are all in the basement fishroom. No tanks in my living area...Bill

Uh, Bill! No LIVE fish upstairs, but as far as I could see, there were fish in just about every room, LOL! Some really gorgeous ones, at that!
Best regards my friend,
Harriett

LizStreithorst
11-29-2010, 07:22 PM
My defination of a fish room is a place where you can flood with impunity. Whether it's in the human house or outside doesn't matter.

2wheelsx2
11-29-2010, 07:29 PM
Outside would be a fish house.....where you plumb,wire and heat the whole building for the fish. That's even more hard core than a fish room.

wendy9722
11-29-2010, 08:12 PM
I have a fish tank in every room in my home excluding the hallways and the bathroom. Just no room to do it or I would. LOL!!! I'm glad my hubby and kids back me up and want to learn with me on my hobby. They want to add more tanks but I'm totally full until I figuar out other ways to have the tanks arranged.
Wendy

Moon
11-29-2010, 08:25 PM
Mine are all in the fish room. No tanks in the house. I like it this way.

joanr
11-29-2010, 08:58 PM
I once put a 20gal hospital tank inside my fireplace for lack of room, but this isn't about the strangest place we have put tanks....

Jhhnn
11-29-2010, 09:10 PM
My tanks are in my study on the first floor of the house. I reinforced the floor from the crawlspace with a cross beam and jacking posts. I have an empty 125 stashed in a neighbor's garage... haven't quite figured out where to put it, though... My eyes were bigger than my fishroom... Wah!

It'd be nice to have a basement rather than a partial cellar, 'cause it'd become my fishroom/ study... really nice if it had a floor drain. My spouse won't move unless the house collapses or burns down, however...

Justice
11-29-2010, 09:10 PM
Garage, kitchen, living room i guess that is all in the house since the garage is attached

Jennie
11-29-2010, 09:16 PM
uhm, Joan, that IS the strangest place yet, and quite innovative, I might add! HUH, A living fireplace!
I once put a 20gal hospital tank inside my fireplace for lack of room, but this isn't about the strangest place we have put tanks....

Jennie
11-29-2010, 09:21 PM
Liz, my guess is unless this is a monetary living, for whatever that is worth, we provide ourselves with the enjoyment of keeping fish not just as a hobby but a means of escape from the daily stress of life, I'm not sure about you, but I want to enjoy them inside my home, where I am most comfortable. besides,I can't even get my car in the garage much less a fish tank.

Disgirl
11-29-2010, 09:42 PM
I have my 125 gal. of discus right in the living room, 75 gal angelfish tank in the dining room. I want to be able to see and enjoy all my fish all the time. All hardwood floors, no carpeting thank goodness, and plenty of old towels to mop up spills!
Barb

PAR23
11-29-2010, 10:14 PM
Interesting posts........I wish I had a fishroom but for now just a lot of fish in many rooms.......I have my 120G and 2 grow out tanks in my office on first floor.......Oscar/arowana tank in family room......Breeding tank (empty at this time) in hallway on second floor.....QT in master on second floor. WC can be a challenge sometimes.:)

hedut
11-29-2010, 10:33 PM
I wish I have fish room,I have 125 gln and 90 gln in living room and some breeding tank in my room :)

Jhhnn
11-30-2010, 09:26 AM
Interesting posts........I wish I had a fishroom but for now just a lot of fish in many rooms.......I have my 120G and 2 grow out tanks in my office on first floor.......Oscar/arowana tank in family room......Breeding tank (empty at this time) in hallway on second floor.....QT in master on second floor. WC can be a challenge sometimes.:)

I wouldn't have come back to fishkeeping at all, let alone Discus, if I hadn't seen my way clear to avoid those kinds of challenges. At 61, I still work a physically demanding job, and I'm not keen on lugging around buckets of water when I get home. I've done a lot of work to avoid that, it's true, but it's paid off.

For me, a fish room wouldn't be so much about flooding with impunity, but rather plumbing with impunity...

PAR23
11-30-2010, 09:51 AM
I wouldn't have come back to fishkeeping at all, let alone Discus, if I hadn't seen my way clear to avoid those kinds of challenges. At 61, I still work a physically demanding job, and I'm not keen on lugging around buckets of water when I get home. I've done a lot of work to avoid that, it's true, but it's paid off.

For me, a fish room wouldn't be so much about flooding with impunity, but rather plumbing with impunity...

LOL......Before seeking advice from everyone here, I use to carry buckets of water for my WC....I know have a set up that eliminates most of the work except for my breeding tank in hallway....Haven't quite figure that one out yet.

seanyuki
11-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Ha ha Liz.....when I read the title.....all my discus went to heaven cos of last year disaster.....12 empty tanks collecting dust now lol....need to get new discus soon.

MikeF
11-30-2010, 11:07 AM
All my tanks are in my basement. It never fails, I always over flow the buckets when my tanks are anywhere else other than the basement. So that is where I keep all my tanks now. Its kind of like my man cave. The basement is so messy ( with all my fish stuff) that my wife does not want to go down there, so I have it all to myself. Then, if Overfill the tanks, or a bucket or two, I never worry abouth it.

spyder329
11-30-2010, 11:32 AM
I have 2 tanks and they are both in the living room.. I enjoy being able to see them every night when I get home from a long day of work.. I like to sit back relax and watch them for an hour or so....

Second Hand Pat
11-30-2010, 12:35 PM
My defination of a fish room is a place where you can flood with impunity. Whether it's in the human house or outside doesn't matter.

I want a wash and wear house. Imagine taking your garden hose and hosing the entire house without harm to any contents...better yet a self cleaning house...or tank.

Jennie
11-30-2010, 12:47 PM
LOL, Ok Betty Rubble, we'll try real hard to find a cave you can hose down!!:)
I want a wash and wear house. Imagine taking your garden hose and hosing the entire house without harm to any contents...better yet a self cleaning house...or tank.

Second Hand Pat
11-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Caves are too cold...not fish friendly

BODYDUB
12-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Can't wait to have my own fish room with a home made ply-wood tank in the wall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gravjack
12-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Bottom level of our split level is divided into a family room and a utility/furnace room. Have a 135 in the family room side and three smaller tanks in the utility room. Wish I had a space available for a dedicated fish room, but had to stuff them into what there was. My spouse grumbled a little about water change occasional spills, however a couple of days ago we had a major septic tank malfunction which put it all in perspective, lol.

John

Jhhnn
12-02-2010, 08:55 PM
My spouse grumbled a little about water change occasional spills, however a couple of days ago we had a major septic tank malfunction which put it all in perspective, lol.

John

Ugh. Real disaster helps us keep our heads screwed on straight, that's for sure...