PDA

View Full Version : Stocking Question

rphox2003
12-01-2010, 05:42 AM
I'm converting my 1 meter Anubias tank to discus and want to know how many of each of the following I can keep:

Discus
Blue Rams
Neon Tetras

The tank is 100cm x 43 x 53 - about 200 liters.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.

Jebo 3100 /Eheim 2226 /Assorted Malawis & Peacocks
Anubias 1 Meter /Rena XP3 /Assorted Malawis
Jebo 231 /Neolamprologus meeli

Jennie
12-01-2010, 07:54 AM
each number of species fish would depend the the number complimenting the other. Is this first time with discus, what size are you going with? START with determining your discus desires and their needs, all else is only fluff

rphox2003
12-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Yes, this is my first time with discus, but I have a lot of experience with Malawis and Tangs. I'm starting small - 4-6cm discus but want to leave room for growing out. So I would like to know how many adults my tank can support. The Tetras and Rams will be simple dither fish.

Jennie
12-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Then My advice would be to focus on growing out the juvies, add the others when juvies hit 4 inches SL, you'll be glad you did in the long run. Stay with BB for now, then add sand later. Also replace the neons with cardinals when time comes to add those.

Jhhnn
12-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Your tank can support 5 adult discus with proper maintenance, which is generally regarded as a minimum size school. I don't keep other fish with discus, so somebody else will have to pitch in on that.

Do yourself a big favor- save your money, buy the biggest discus you can reasonably afford, all one variety, all at the same time. Be prepared to feed juveniles and sub-adults very large amounts of food to get proper growth, and to change a lot of water.

rphox2003
12-02-2010, 02:07 AM
Then My advice would be to focus on growing out the juvies, add the others when juvies hit 4 inches SL, you'll be glad you did in the long run. Stay with BB for now, then add sand later. Also replace the neons with cardinals when time comes to add those.

Thanks, but what's SL and BB? Add sand? My tank has been stocked with Malawis for over a year. I did a good cleaning and took out the aquascape, but left the gravel and added "decorations" more inline for discus.

rphox2003
12-02-2010, 02:09 AM
all one variety

I've been told that I can safely mix different strains if I'm getting juvies.

Jennie
12-02-2010, 09:04 AM
SL = standard length. from tip of nose to peduncle, where the tail fin starts. BB is bare botton tank, no substrate.
It's also not nescessary to have one variety/strain of discus. If you like different strains then get them. A one strain tank is impressive however