PDA

View Full Version : YET ANOTHER BREW RANT....

brewmaster15
12-02-2010, 10:33 AM
I had to laugh this morning... I needed to run out and get a big box of matches so I can light my woodstove...So I go to my area Rite Aid drug store, Look all over for matches...no go....So I ask at the counter and they have them behind the counter... I go to pay for the matches and have to prove I am over the age 18!:confused::confused::confused::mad: Now mind you I didn't buy anything but a BIG BOX OF Matches...the strike on the box kind and some batteries. .So I figure the store was just mining for personal marketing data as they all do these days..

"Excuse me?" I politely ask the cashier.. and Her reply.. "matches are considered a tobacco product and we have to verify your age"

Unreal....simply unreal. I had not realized that Matches were a tobacco product...Learn something new every day.:(:confused::confused::confused::confused::con fused:

-al
ps...realize its a minor issue..but still....theres just something wrong with carding for matches.

Jennie
12-02-2010, 10:37 AM
You should be happy you get carded!

seanyuki
12-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Lol Al......perhaps the government raised the age limit(over 40) for buying tobacco products without letting us know .

ZX10R
12-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Here is what I don't undestand either. I was at walmart buying some paint for my tank stand and I was carded for buying paint. I asked the clerk why I was being carded and she replied you have to be over 18 to buy paint. K so I guess kids are sniffing paint these days but why does that matter with the age thing. I guess if you are a paint sniffer and over the age of 18 it is K to buy paint and get high. Makes no sense to me :confused::confused::confused:

Moon
12-02-2010, 02:04 PM
In Ontario tobacco products cannot be displayed. They are hidden behind a opaque window or in a seperate room.
I used to walk in pick my cigars. Now it is from a cigar catalouge. The clerk then goes and picks the cigars.

roclement
12-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Al you didn't know that matches are made out of tobbaco leaves!!! :) Shame on you!!! :) There is no law against selling matches, or lighters. Maybe just an overzealous clerk? I would be happy if I got carded!

Rodrigo

Darrell Ward
12-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Yeah, maybe the clerk thought you were hot, and wanted to know your name! :D

moik
12-02-2010, 03:00 PM
maybe ,she (the clerk) found you attractive and wanted to see your real age before making a pass..

brewmaster15
12-02-2010, 03:03 PM
Lol...somehow I doubt that was the motive......I'd be more prone to believing she worked for the TSA before taking a job at Rite Aid.;)

Jennie
12-02-2010, 03:59 PM
LOL, Al, You never know, with crazy women! It was a woman, right?

brewmaster15
12-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Yes she was .

-al

Jennie
12-02-2010, 04:29 PM
well, just makin sure. Equal opportunity.

You know I JK, I hope. Like to razz people sometimes

YSS
12-02-2010, 06:51 PM
So you get carded for buying some weird stuff. I wonder why I never get carded for buying condoms ... I know you have to be 18 to have sex in US (legally that is).

brewmaster15
12-02-2010, 07:14 PM
So you get carded for buying some weird stuff. I wonder why I never get carded for buying condoms ... I know you have to be 18 to have sex in US (legally that is).

Been a LONG LONG LONG time since I bought them;)....But I guess They'd card me now for that too should I Try.

Guess I should be flattered...I never thought I looked 18....guess I am a younger 42 than I feel .:)

-al

Jennie
12-02-2010, 07:18 PM
I don't know why they would do that, card for condoms. Prevents allot of unwanted teen pregnancies.

Discus-n00b
12-02-2010, 07:32 PM
I got carded at Walmart when i went to buy 4-5 cans of spray paint. Made me just sigh. What has the world come to.

Jennie
12-02-2010, 07:37 PM
You're aging well Al, no worries:)
Been a LONG LONG LONG time since I bought them;)....But I guess They'd card me now for that too should I Try.

Guess I should be flattered...I never thought I looked 18....guess I am a younger 42 than I feel .:)

-al

mmorris
12-02-2010, 07:52 PM
The last time someone carded me I thanked her profusely.

Alok
12-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Lol...somehow I doubt that was the motive......I'd be more prone to believing she worked for the TSA before taking a job at Rite Aid.;)

Haha, and may be she read your TSA pat down article here on Simply! :)

So you have to be over 18 to buy matches and paint? Ridiculous! :)

David Rose
12-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Pretty soon we'll probably all be required to have computer chips implanted beneath the skin and will be scanned for almost everything from paying for purchases to being tracked by GPS. Okay...maybe a little much, but sometimes this sort of thing just makes you want to build a cabin on a secluded mountain somewhere and retreat from all the craziness that is becoming normal today. Getting too old for bs, I guess.

Jennie
12-02-2010, 08:40 PM
They do that with criminals already. Yes??

MSD
12-02-2010, 09:32 PM
The last time someone carded me I thanked her profusely.

The last time someone carded you Abe Lincoln was president. :p

Jennie
12-02-2010, 11:29 PM
I'm thinking, Man, I so hope you and Martha friends, 'cause this can get real ugly.

William Palumbo
12-03-2010, 01:33 AM
I got carded at Walmart when i went to buy 4-5 cans of spray paint. Made me just sigh. What has the world come to.

They don't sell spray paint at all in Chicago...I have to go outside city limits to buy it. Been like that for sometime now. True. Very sad...Bill

Discus-n00b
12-03-2010, 02:00 AM
I told the woman that carded me that if I really wanted to get high I'd be using air duster or paint thinner. She gave me a weird look.

brewmaster15
12-03-2010, 04:33 AM
Out here in CT they use "whip its" to get high... basically food grade Co2 cartridges similar to those used in BB and pellet guns... stupidity at its best.:mad:

So I am thinking "how long before They realize theres a whole lotta more CO2 in a tank used by planted tank affionados".... Oh boy better start carding there too.

Which got me to thinking....we have a drinking age of 21 here in the states... but anyone can buy home brew kits and supplies on line or in stores with ease... Uh-oh... better card for those.... and wait me a minute...You know...if you buy some fruit...crush it up and pitch in some yeast.... you can make a mean alcoholic beverage...yep better card at the old fruit stand.... (same principal really as why they card for pseudofed--used to make crack on the streets)

al

roundfishross
12-03-2010, 11:04 AM
Al.. whippets are no2(laughing gas) filled to propel haevy cream into whipped cream... I think co2 would just make you pass out!

brewmaster15
12-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Lol...okay...shows what I know...better suited to "brewmaster" than "pastrymaster" :) Thanks for the clarification leo.....I guess the planted tank folk are safe...feel sorry for the bakers though! :)

-al

Ryan
12-03-2010, 01:52 PM
I get carded every time I attempt to buy paint or super glue at Walmart. But I despise Walmart, so I try to mostly get that stuff from Lowe's nowadays.

I wonder if the matches thing is actually more about arson than anything else, and they just don't tell you that? We have a lot of problems with minors vandalizing stuff and causing trouble in our city, and a lot of the stores here will not sell anything to minors that could be remotely problematic -- matches, lighters, paint, etc.

Alok
12-03-2010, 08:16 PM
I wonder if the matches thing is actually more about arson than anything else, and they just don't tell you that? We have a lot of problems with minors vandalizing stuff and causing trouble in our city, and a lot of the stores here will not sell anything to minors that could be remotely problematic -- matches, lighters, paint, etc.

Or start wildfires and forest fires...

MarcG
12-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Got carded for a little $1 bottle of fuel injector treatment. Ruined my night since I forgot my license.. couldn't bring it home and chug it! :p

MarcG
12-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Got carded for a little $1 bottle of fuel injector treatment. Ruined my night since I forgot my license.. couldn't bring it home and chug it! :p

I always laugh when they card someone clearly over 18. Age mistakes can be funny though. Pizza guy thought my grandma and dad were married!