PDA

View Full Version : Egg eater ???

aussiefish
12-03-2010, 05:49 AM
Hi All
I have a pair that have spawned 4 times, all 98% of eggs go brown so i know they are fertilized, and i know which is male and female. Each time on the second night one of them eats all the eggs. The tank they are in has a glass removable divider in the middle, has anyone seperated both parents from the eggs before hatching. I can do this and still keep the parents in the same tank. Will this work ????? I would then remove the divider when the eggs hatch so parents can go look after them, I hope !!!

m.ingram
12-03-2010, 06:24 AM
Hey aussiefish make a protecter like in this link http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?81705-harchery-fries-raising-room-update .The parents can still fan the eggs but they wont be able to eat them .

m.ingram
12-03-2010, 06:26 AM
I should add the guard i was telling u about is in post number 15 first picture .Hope this helps you .Good luck.

KelDiscus
12-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Any type of protector that allows the pair to still see and fan their eggs will help(never know how a pair will react) you'll maybe want to add something to lower the amount of eggs that go off. Sometimes you can remove 1 eater and leave 1. You have to try both sometimes as you cannot always watch whose eating, when they decide it's in seconds sometimes. Also the Discus may learn on their own. I have seen professional breeders with metal nets over their discus eggs, it's quite common. Good luck and try what you can and give them time if you like. I had eaters for 10 or so different lays then firm parents that looked after their babies.