PDA

View Full Version : How many of you lost fish due to moving?

ockyra215
12-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Hello Simply folks I moved yesterday from my cousins house i was staying at dus to a divorice to a new house I just purchased and the day went good as far as moving went but First thing I had 1 sub adult reflection d jump out of the tank to its death so I found him like an hour later on the floor dead.So i chalked it up to my stupidity by leaving the top open.THen when it came time to move the tanks I had 10 5 gallon buckets i had 2 adults in each bucket then moved the tanks got the whole stand I have built for 4 55 gallon moved and set up got tanks filled back and when i went to acclimate all 20 sub adults and adults dead which is my fault it was chilly and I didnt take my time I was under the gun a bit so I lost in total the following discus
2 stendker blue diamonds I got from bobtools
3 albinos I got from Vlam
3 classic leopardds I got from Mike beals
6 reflection d I got from Dan espinosa
6 pigeon bloods from mike beals
So I guess the moral of this post is take care and pay attention when moving or else youll have bucket loads of disappointment !

Well I have been looking into getting new stock so after the holidays its on

roundfishross
12-03-2010, 11:38 AM
ouch that sucks!!

ockyra215
12-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Yep I am really bummed I had 3 unconfirmed pairs and now I have to start over.I sent you a pm
Thanks

mlov1022
12-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Oh man Dave, that really stinks. So sorry to hear.

acroken
12-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Dave,
sorry to hear this. moving is the most stressful time when dealing with fish. It is not easily pulled off. Shame you had so much trouble. You know i am local, could have called me and i would have gladly helped you out.

Take care pal

ockyra215
12-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Kenny,
I didnt even think about that hind sight is 20 -20 I should of I didnt even think!

Dudley Eirich
12-03-2010, 01:31 PM
Sorry to hear about your fish. REALLY SAD.

About 12 years ago I moved 6 adult discus from St. Louis to Cincinnati at the end of January. I put three discus in each of two ice-chests with about 5 inches of water and I purchased two battery-powered air pumps to provide plenty of oxygen. It was a 6 h drive with some additional time to take down and set up the 55 gallon tank at the either end. It was probably about 8 hours all together. This method seemed to work well, since they all survived and didn't seem to be adversely affected by the move. I'm sure people who ship discus have more efficient ways to move discus, but this method worked for me.

I know this isn't any consolation with your latest moving experience, but it may help with any future move you may make.

hedut
12-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Sorry for your loss, when I was move I use all boxes from Kenny's & Mike's and I loss only one fish cause I forgot to recheck them :)

ockyra215
12-03-2010, 02:20 PM
next time I move I will rent space at Kennys(ackroken) or Vans(vlam) put them up in style lol.
Thanks everyone It is my own stupidity that lost them all I guess it wasnt meant to be So Ill restock slowly this time and I dont plan on moving anytime soon!

SNap0283
12-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Maybe itll make you feel better to hear, a while back i had 7 beautiful Red Turks and 5 Blue diamonds from Cary. The place i lived at all my life and grew up raising fish doesnt add chlorine to the water. Then i moved, and was drip acclimating them without even thinking the new city used chlorine...... and i lost every one of my fish. Discus, angles, snakehead, frontosa, mbuna... All due to my absolute stupidity and chlorine. The worst part was by then Cary had more or less shut down his breeding and i couldnt even replace the fish!

Its a mistake you only make once trust me!

truc_tuyen
12-03-2010, 03:54 PM
you just lost yourself a lot of money

KelDiscus
12-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Moving fish is a pain. I moved a ton on my way from California to the East Coast. They made it far, but all ended up dying on the 6 day trip. I feel you

dbfzurowski
12-03-2010, 04:10 PM
How do you guys keep the water temp when transporting in buckets via automobile?

ZX10R
12-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Sorry to hear about all your problems that just hit you in the old back pocket $$$$$$$

Atleast you are thinking positive and looking at in a good way. You get to restock and maybe pick up some fish you have always wanted and never had room to get before.

Goodluck hope things improve for you.

ockyra215
12-03-2010, 05:10 PM
I just cranked the heat in the car and rolled the window down I never had trouble like this before but I cant dwell on it I just will take my time and get it together all over again.At least I know what happend to them and not a crazy viral break out in my tanks
THANKS To EVERYONE for your support!

alan j t
12-03-2010, 07:44 PM
i moved some discus in bucket too. i lost one. day 3 in the tank after the move and it was a no-go

LizStreithorst
12-03-2010, 08:04 PM
I had to move suddenly due to a breakup 2 years ago. I never lost a fish. The LFS that I used to deal with agreed to keep them for me. I agreed to put them up for sale and pick up the ones that didn't sell when I was set up at my digs. I waited until I knew that my water was right. He sold all the Albinos, which I let go for a song, right away to a guy who killed them in 1 week! I swear to God, in only one week. I got some others back, though.

I'm sorry for your loss. I know that it's a kick in the head to loose your fish. I've had to toss all my fish due to Cryptobia twice, yes twice(!) before this last thing, and start all over. If you have the passion you will lick your wounds and start anew.

(Tough Love)

ockyra215
12-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Liz,
I have the passion I am not giving up NO WAY lol a bit bummed but hey its not the end of the world. I am on the positive now.I can redo the stands and do it different this time!:D

goodoo
12-03-2010, 11:52 PM
I'm a bit confused as to what actually happened :) Did you first put the fish into buckets, then move the stand and tank to your new house, set it up, then return for your fish at your cousin's? How long were they in the buckets for and did they have aeration?

Elite Aquaria
12-04-2010, 08:18 AM
David, I am so sorry that you lost all your fish.

ockyra215
12-04-2010, 09:41 AM
no I loaded the fish into buckets and then took them to the new place then went back for the tanks and stands and i didnt have the buckets aerated then it took longer than i thought to break every thing down and get it set back up took a couple of hours so i would say between the temp drop and ammonia spike it killed them

Thanks Dan Ill be in touch with you after the holidays

ockyra215
12-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Well In good Faith Leo (roundfishross) is sending me some Juvies
So once again Thanks Leo
I am very Greatful !

fishorama
12-05-2010, 09:23 PM
This scares me! I may be doing a coast to coast move in the next year & I'm not sure moving my fish is a good idea...Good luck with your new fish!

goodoo
12-06-2010, 01:55 AM
how long were they in the bucket and what was the temp ?

Discus-Hans
12-06-2010, 04:04 AM
Dave, sorry to hear about your lost.
Don't understand, so many people here on the forum who could help you with some bags, you probably have some boxes, a bag budy, heat pack, pack them like you ship them and they are good for hours if not a day????

Hans

Melissa
12-06-2010, 07:37 AM
So awful, sorry for your loss!

Just terrible!!

ockyra215
12-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Well Hans you are right I should of would of could of but I dropped the ball and now I have a bunch of empty tanks .
I have no one to blame but myself and I feel like a JACKASS but like I said earlier hind sight is 20-20 and my dumb fault.
So after the holidays I will replenish my stock and get back to where I was.

Oh and one more thing on a side note everyone always says oh you are moving give me a call I will definetly give you a hand and on moving day no one answers thier cell phones etc etc etc :-)

roundfishross
12-06-2010, 09:13 AM
we re gonna work on that really soon!:D

ockyra215
12-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Leo I sent you a pm!

Disgirl
12-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Sorry about this big loss Dave. But you will be up and at it again before long I know. Live and learn, right? We have all done things we regret with our fish. Last night I was refilling my tank, in living room, and the hose fell out of the tank. You should have seen the water everywhere for awhile...
Barb

roundfishross
12-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Sorry about this big loss Dave. But you will be up and at it again before long I know. Live and learn, right? We have all done things we regret with our fish. Last night I was refilling my tank, in living room, and the hose fell out of the tank. You should have seen the water everywhere for awhile...
Barb

lol. I do this almost daily!

DiscusOnly
12-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Dave,

Sorry to hear that. You know you could always call me. Take your time and configure things the way you want to make it a better setup. Think positive! Set aside a tank to grow out some Penang frys next year. I am close to getting a big enough spawn to keep.

Van

2075turner
12-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Yeah moving sucks. Not only do you have to deal with the stress of the general items but then there's live stock. I lost quite a few (all my breeders and juvies) when I moved cause I was exhausted and when I was setting up my tanks downstairs I had thought I added prime to all of them, I didn't. I forgot the middle two rows....all dead within a couple of hours while I was getting my kids set up. It was my stupidity....I moved on. I was lucky with the fact I hadn't killed off everyone, a couple of months later I had two pair up, got me all excited and fuzzy again and here we are....

Don't feel bad, we have all done things to our fish we wish we could redo and rethought. **** happens then we move on. Think of all the great fish that are listed here every month by our sponsors I'm sure you will find something that will catch your eye.

ockyra215
12-08-2010, 04:47 PM
VAn I will be in touch with you ! Evelyn you are correct I have my eye somethings once the holidays come and go Ill get back into it full force!

BODYDUB
12-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Sorry dude, I feel for you..............

Eddie
12-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Wow, sorry to hear Dave. Those Reflection Ds from Dan were AMAZING. Good luck with the next bout.

Eddie

cyberhog05
12-11-2010, 11:05 PM
What a sore subject..I had to move out of an ex's at midnight and it was 40 below. I lost an entire salt water set up of at least 15k. All I had left was sand and the rock. Nothing lived

Jennie
12-12-2010, 01:10 AM
I'd like to know where my latest shipment of angels is??? they were to be here Friday but no one can find... so I lost fish to those reasons and that sux too!
Just start over is all you can do

CrazyAngels
12-12-2010, 03:15 AM
Dave,
you have the will and the spirit, you'll be back blazing and better than ever. Hang in there.

Hope your holidays get better.

Discus-Hans
12-12-2010, 03:32 AM
Well Hans you are right I should of would of could of but I dropped the ball and now I have a bunch of empty tanks .
I have no one to blame but myself and I feel like a JACKASS but like I said earlier hind sight is 20-20 and my dumb fault.
So after the holidays I will replenish my stock and get back to where I was.

Oh and one more thing on a side note everyone always says oh you are moving give me a call I will definetly give you a hand and on moving day no one answers thier cell phones etc etc etc :-)

I know but don't feel like a JACKASS we all make some times decisions and some times we're lucky and you think hmmmmmmmm now that was lucky next time............ and some times it goes wrong and you think: hmmmmmmm why didn't I.......
Life is live and learn (or is it live is life and learn)

For that second part........... I know lol

Hans

ockyra215
12-13-2010, 11:34 AM
So true Hans So true Live and Learn so is life!