PDA

View Full Version : Decorating Advice

underwaterforest
12-03-2010, 10:34 PM
So I'm going on nearly a year without any real decorations in my 92 gallon corner tank other than two filter sponges. I went with the BB tank for the simplicity of cleaning but I'm tempted to turn it into a planted tank to give the fish a bit of nature back. But the planted notion hasn't gone very far since I have a sump on this system, and sumps and CO2 are no good. I possibly could do a low tech low co2 system with hardy plants or just decorate with some natural driftwood/rocks/etc.

So what do you think should I go toward a planted tank with a low tech setup no co2, full out high tech setup with co2 and lose or seal the sump, or just decorate and forget about the plants?

Any decorating advice is appreciated, I suck at it.

Here a picture of my bland tank.

Second Hand Pat
12-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Oh man, you could have such fun with this tank. First, can you move the sponge filters to the sump? Around the spillway you could build a whole tree base with roots out of DW. Careful to not block any flow. You might consider using plants which can be attached to DW as part of the look. Would not require CO2. Anyway, some ideas.

underwaterforest
12-03-2010, 11:28 PM
Oh man, you could have such fun with this tank. First, can you move the sponge filters to the sump? Around the spillway you could build a whole tree base with roots out of DW. Careful to not block any flow. You might consider using plants which can be attached to DW as part of the look. Would not require CO2. Anyway, some ideas.

I like the DW over the spillway idea, do you have any sources to get some nice pieces of DW? I do have the ocean nearby which has piles and piles of driftwood but I'm not sure what species they come from and how toxic to the aquarium they would be (I bet redwood is the majority).

Maybe some Christmas/java moss and java ferns tied to the DW to give the wood a nice planted look. Also I was thinking of trying to put the plants in pots to still allow me to clean easily.

I'm going to have to come up with a unique lighting setup for this tank with it weird corner construction, I have an extra 24" 4 bulb t5 setup and the existing 2 bulb 36" t5 should be plenty for a low tech setup.

Thanks again for the ideas Pat!

Second Hand Pat
12-03-2010, 11:47 PM
You are welcome, look at some tanks with pots and see if you like the look. Also there are other plants like anubias which can be grown on DW. Have fun with these but apply KISS.

Jennie
12-04-2010, 07:42 AM
1 or 2 Tall upright branchy driftwood pieces would look nice in a tall tank. pci(sponsor) or manzanita.com are good sources. Anubias are easy to maintain and a good start.

Second Hand Pat
12-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Thanks Jennie, I forget to mention the sponsors. PS. I have DW from both of the sources Jennie mentions and feel good recommending both.

aalbina
12-04-2010, 10:30 AM
I have some manzanita.com wood from Rich and it is terrific. Still soaking but it's a great source.

Adam

underwaterforest
12-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Thanks guys for the ideas and sources for the manzanita. Its too bad I have to buy it since neat my location is covered with manzanita and I'm sure I could steal some here and there, but I don't have a sand blaster to clean it up right. Maybe I could hand sand some if I get desperate.

I do have a decent amount of experience with planted tanks and I'm sure I could grow up a good or possibly great one. I been just doing the KISS BB tank so I could gain experience on the needs of discus foremost, it is my first time raising them. I think a low tech aquarium with Anubis and over low co2 plants would work well maybe some vals since they could give nice cover and soak up the nutes. I haven't tried any hygros in a low tech but they do have very nice formations. I also have some bacopa and lugwegias in another tank that I could put into it.

Alex

Jennie
12-04-2010, 05:04 PM
they have bulk specials at manzanita.com..pretty cheap

underwaterforest
12-04-2010, 05:11 PM
I was looking at them but I still find it hard to buy something that grows all over the place. But I will probably go with one of the bulk specials and start to aqua scape my tank.

I'm sure the fish will love it all, I just need a moonlight now and I can even watch the tank at night.

wendy9722
12-04-2010, 06:16 PM
I got some really nice clean driftwood off of ebay that is attached to slate. The person I got them from has is posted on there that you can make offers and I made offers much cheaper than what he had posted and he excepted them. If you want to check it out I can post the ad. Just a thought. I got 2 really nice pieces for less than 20.00
Wendy

discuspaul
12-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Alex,
Low tech - no co2 - fine - all the plants that you have on hand & mentioned above will do A-OK in a discus tank. Had them all & still have most of them in my planted tank with pool filter sand - I just use root tabs & occasional dosing with Excel & Comprehensive - does great - Have a quick look:
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/redrubys

underwaterforest
12-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Thanks Wendy and Paul.

I'm still trying to make this an easy to clean tank so I've been thinking of plants in pots but I like the look of substrate much better. Most of my discus are almost adults so I guess the overfeeding route isn't completely necessary anymore. I have to save up a little to get the aquarium wood and the extras but I soon think there will be another planted tank in my house. Thanks for everybody's help and motivation.

Nice Tank PAUL!

Alex