PDA

View Full Version : Fighting the Green

foggy
12-06-2010, 03:14 PM
I just did testing on my water in hope of finding something that might help me out on my quest for clear water. I use the API test kit I also you Prime in every 5 gal bucket I tote. Here are my results nothing NO 2 0-ppm, NO3 0-ppm, AMMONIA clear no measurement. PH 8.4 to 8.8
My bed room tank I have silver dollar in it 29 gal. man I'm telling you it never greens up on me. It is under maintained it starts to show algie on the glass but not green water.
I don't like chems in the tank, like I said I use prime, and a small amount of stability by Seachem. I don't mind the water changes just the carrying the 5 gal buckets. I want a water stairliser) would that take the green out?
Thanks Linda

underwaterforest
12-06-2010, 03:54 PM
A properly sized UV with the correct low flow rate should help diminish the algae growth.

Is your aquarium near a window?

If so the sunlight maybe the culprit for the algae growth. UV sterlizer are great for getting rid of green water but are a little less effective for algae on the glass surfaces since they have to be in the water column for the UV to kill. There are algaecidal chemicals out there but I haven't had much luck with any of the commercially prepared ones. One product that has worked good for me in the past is the liquid CO2 nutrient by seachem called excel. You can take a syringe and dose the excel directly over the algae growth and it will die. The disadvantage of this is that if the algae is everywhere this method is absurd, but for spot treatment of problem algae in planted tanks it works like a dream. Also you can overdose with excel and cause death with fish inhabitants (but I have never seen that even with 2-4 times the recommended dose).

I'd say that a UV sterilizer would help your algae problem along with lots of manual removal till it stops spreading.

Good Luck,

Alex

foggy
12-15-2010, 02:50 PM
:)Finally after reading and more reading here at this forum the one article was The Nitrogen Cycle it kept resonating
To me and I thought it has to be the light. I took that timer and pushed in as much as my small finger could push, all around the day light cycle. YAHOO it’s cleared up. It’s crystal clear. I can’t hardly believe my eyes.
This is a beautiful sight. I knew I loved my tank and fish of course. But hauling them damn 5 gal buckets every day was getting old. My light is a T-5HO 48 inch 216 watt programmable sundial. Man I wanted this light for along time before I was able to get it. I have red somewhere that the blue light huts the Discus eyes. Has any one heard that?
Thanks,
Linda