PDA

View Full Version : 120 gallon planted showtank

Joander123
12-07-2010, 06:32 PM
Hey everyone! Most of you (well ok, probably all of you) wont know me. I was a member here a few years ago and I had a small tank (turns out a bit too small in the long run) with 5 discus in it. Anyways, eventually the tank went downhill due to many factors that I wont get into at the moment...

To make a long story short I switched over to the salt water reef keeping hobby, but now i'm seriously considering a return to discus. The main reason being it'll be cheaper, less complex, and move forward a bit quicker here. Plus I'm really just itching to get back into them as they are amazing fish.

So here's the plan, I've got a 120 gallon "reef ready" tank, that's currently still set up as a salt water system. My plan is to switch over the tank to a planted discus community tank, and most of the funds will come from selling the reef specialty equipment to fund the planted discus tank equipment and livestock.

The starting materials i have available to me are a beautiful practically brand new 120 gallon aquarium, a 40 gallon sump set-up, and a light plenty high powered enough to grow any plant i would ever desire (I may even run it at half or 3/4's strength to reduce electrical costs and possible algae growth)... of course the other components i would need to add are a freshwater canister filter(s), a new substrate, some plants, some driftwood/rocks, and of course some fish ;).

I figured that i would make this thread to ask questions (as i've never had a large discus/planted tank set-up like this) as well as document my progress.

Today i've got a few questions for future planning.. the first of which is what sort of filter or filters would be best? My prior knowledge around freshwater and discus tells me that canister filters and sponge filters are the best, but i seem to remember canister filters being much more prominent in planted tanks because they dont gas off as much co2 and because they dont need to take up real estate in the tank. I could use any sort of combination of these filters, as i suppose if sponge filters were still the way to go i could contain those in the sump of the tank. As far as canisters i'm obviously open to recommendations, but currently these are the two that i was looking at: The fluval FX5 and the Eheim pro III 2080. Any help here is greatly appreciated.

The second question pertains to substrate.. i'm looking for a simple, effective, natural/good looking substrate to grow plants in. My original thought was that seachem flourite stuff, but then i stumble upon this link :http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/library/52554-how-mineralized-soil-substrate-aaron-talbot.html and that seemed like a really solid idea as well. What are people's thoughts here?

Looking forward to some responses, thanks everyone!

discusjoe27
12-08-2010, 11:46 AM
eheim is well worth the money, but the fx5 will work... if you want to go even cheaper in substrate.. you can get turface soil master select from john deer. 50pounds is 18.99 just remember that the plants will do some filtering, and discus don't like high flow.

gw
12-08-2010, 01:49 PM
I might have missed something but why wouldn't you use sump set up as filtration?

Joander123
12-08-2010, 02:11 PM
I see a lot of people saying sumps are good for filtration, but how so, wet/dry?

discuspaul
12-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Hi joander,
Good luck with your new FW discus set-up, ----- but it's not too difficult & I'm sure you won't have any trouble making it look great. Canister filters are super & that's probably the way you will go, although you may want to proceed with that sump as an alternate.
Im my case, a 75 gal., I go with 2 A/C 110 HOB's 'cause I prefer the ease of handling & cleaning, & the variety of media I can use it it, alternating without fuss & saving time.
As for plants, as you say, you will have all the lighting you need, and may even have to reduce.
Many plants will do well in a discus tank, with ease, without requiring CO2, or even "plant-friendly" substrate materials for growth.
I use only white silica pool filter sand for the look, & because it makes the plant & fish colors pop - & I just use fert root tabs & occasional dosing with Flourish products - excel & comprehensive. Plants all do fine.
Have a look at my tank - may give you some ideas.
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/redrubys
Hope this is helpful.

Joander123
12-08-2010, 10:04 PM
tank looks great, thanks for sharing!

Maybe i'll go with a large canister and still use the sump? I had obviously planned on using it for heaters, added water volume, and whatever else i might need.... sorry for such a stupid question but i'm brand new to the idea of using a sump for freshwater filtration.. back when i was doing freshwater most everyone used HOB filters or Canisters... in the saltwater hobby nearly every successful tank has a sump (hence why i already have one), so i understand what to do with it from a saltwater standpoint, but i'm not quite sure what to do with it from a freshwater standpoint? Any help is appreciated..

For the substrate i think i'm going to use that mineralized top soil idea (unless anyone has a reason i shouldn't?) and then cover the top of it with white pool sand.. that way i get the best of both worlds, the nice white sandy bottom, along with a great plant root substrate..

discuspaul
12-08-2010, 10:47 PM
Sounds like a reasonably good plan. Go for it ! (and nothing you have asked is a stupid question.)

Joander123
12-08-2010, 11:27 PM
also just stumbled across a really good deal on a fluval G6.. how does this canister compare to the aforementioned two (fluval fx5 and eheim 2080)? Aside from the built in electronics which in my case may be unnecessary, anything to support the higher price tag?