PDA

View Full Version : NEED GLASS TOP

flyer1988
12-07-2010, 07:28 PM
I need a glass top for a Oceanic Illuminata 57 gallon tank.

I think that the 40 breeder tops will fit, but the thing is that since it is rimless the original glass top for it comes with additional clear stuff to keep it attached to the tank itself without noticing them.

I contacted Oceanic but to no avail they wont sell me the stuff on to distributers. The closes place here is around 160 miles. :( . Thing is I also dont want to pay too much for shipping.

Can anyone help me as to how I can get a hold of one. I tried a website pets-warehouse.com, but they never shipped my item and ended up reversing the transaction after not being shipped for over 8 days after payment. Thank you all..

fishorama
12-07-2010, 08:15 PM
I have a homemade 40g long tank that isn't quite standard dimensions. A local glass shop made 2 short braces front-to-back so a prefab glass top would work...for $5. You may want to ask a couple places nearby, they were interested & accommidating, talk is cheap LOL.

snowflake311
12-07-2010, 08:53 PM
I use a thick plexi glass as a cover for my 100gal. The lights sit on top of it and yes it will bend with the heat but not too bad so I just turn them over with every wc. It was $40 at homedepot ijust had to cut it.

Jennie
12-07-2010, 09:49 PM
in misc. section
http://www.glasscages.com/

acroken
12-08-2010, 09:25 AM
i would check with your local glass companies. They always have extra glass off cuts laying around.If they do not have to cut it they typically give or sell very cheap as it is only going to be thrown away. I would go buy a simple glass cutter and sanding block from a hardware store. I make all my own tops for next to nothing. I do use a grinder to break the edges after cutting but a sanding block and a little elbow grease and you will be in business. hth

Kenny

alan j t
12-09-2010, 01:44 PM
local galss shop does the trick. make sure you measure like 3 or 4 times and write it down. cost me 20 bucks.

flyer1988
12-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Thx guys for your tips. But how will the glass top that I purchase sit on the tank without the bracing?....I noticed that the original glass top for the Oceanic has like some plastic bracing...

Skip
12-09-2010, 05:55 PM
its a rimless tank... your glass would have to be longer or wider then the tank.. you could cover the back 2/3 of tank.. i guess..