PDA

View Full Version : Sick Fish!!

SNap0283
12-09-2010, 10:53 PM
OK im trying to get some pictures of my sick babies! Lets see heres the questionaire...

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

Just noticed it tonight! Little white spots. The fish are acting normal, eating fine, not shy or hiding. Nothing wrong with their behavoir at all.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

Of the 20 fish in the tank 5-6 have little white spots. Only maybe 2-5 spots per fish on fins/gills/body. It looks a lot like ich to me but id like some other opinions. Theres a small chance im overreacting since they are acting completely normal, but maybe i just caught whatever it is early?

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Nothing yet

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

40 gallon, had fish for 2 weeks. 20-2.5" fish

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

BB change 70% water daily, age, circulate and heat water 24hrs.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp 85
- ph 8.0
- ammonia reading 0
- nitrite reading 0
- nitrate reading < 5
- municipal water - small town water which is pumped directly from underground aquafer.

7. Any new fish/plants added recently
No all 20 fish were purchased together from a forum sponser. No other fish or animals at all in the house.

Im uploading some pictures now but my camera is not that great so im unsure itll pick up the dots since they are very very small.

SNap0283
12-09-2010, 11:49 PM
OK no pictures, it doesnt come out at all. But what else would be little white specs on discus? Ive never seen only a few little specs of ich before.... idk... someone help =(

Skip
12-10-2010, 12:10 AM
white spots usually equals ICK..

SNap0283
12-10-2010, 12:13 AM
Ive always used copper to treat ick... is that suggested with discus or should i go with medication because its faster acting?

Skip
12-10-2010, 12:20 AM
eddie says.. crank up the heat... like up to 90..

SNap0283
12-10-2010, 12:29 AM
ok. and no treatment just heat?

Skip
12-10-2010, 12:57 AM
ummm... maybe they might use salt also.. i am not sure.. but you could SEARCH it ..

SNap0283
12-10-2010, 01:05 AM
ich is too short of a word to search! but i did it the old fashion way... i guess ill try some quick cure and lights off starting tomorrow.

Jennie
12-10-2010, 06:37 AM
IF it's ich, salt and high temps can knock it out in many cases, but if you have other community fish that can't tolerate higher temps then go with rid ick or quick cure or something related is a choice.

Eddie
12-10-2010, 08:39 AM
You are OVER stocked. 20 ea 2.5" fish in a 40 gallon is way too much IMO. I'd move them to another tank like a 75 or larger. Or you can do 2 large water changes daily. As others mentioned, salt and high heat is not a bad idea. If it is ich and I don't think its ich, Quick Cure is a better option. If you decide on QC, bring the heat down and remove the salt, lights off and plenty of extra air as you are overstocked.

SNap0283
12-10-2010, 01:00 PM
how much salt and what temp would be suggested for the salt treatment?

Skip
12-10-2010, 01:03 PM
2tbp/10gals 88-90 F

SNap0283
12-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Ive added the salt and been slowly raising the temp... im at about 88 right now. Every so often they will turn sort of slightly to one side and shake for like 5 seconds. is that a sign of anything?

Eddie
12-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Ive added the salt and been slowly raising the temp... im at about 88 right now. Every so often they will turn sort of slightly to one side and shake for like 5 seconds. is that a sign of anything?

It's not a good sign IME. If you've only had the fish for 2 weeks, something isn't right. The overcrowding probably cause the problem. Make sure you have alot of air in the tank. Higher temps reduce o2 levels and you are overstocked.

SNap0283
12-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Im going to move them to a 75gal tomorrow. dont have enough aged water to make the move today. There is a LOT of water circulation and airation in the tank. To me at first it seemed like them establishing a pecking order since they arnt being shy and havnt lost an appitite so i dont know if im overracting or if its something to worry about.

Eddie
12-10-2010, 06:58 PM
Im going to move them to a 75gal tomorrow. dont have enough aged water to make the move today. There is a LOT of water circulation and airation in the tank. To me at first it seemed like them establishing a pecking order since they arnt being shy and havnt lost an appitite so i dont know if im overracting or if its something to worry about.

Get a video if you can.

SNap0283
12-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Heat and salt seem to be working.... theres maybe a few less spots and def not any new ones. How long should i leave the temp raised and salt in the tank?

PAR23
12-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Heat and salt seem to be working.... theres maybe a few less spots and def not any new ones. How long should i leave the temp raised and salt in the tank?

IF this is Ich, then 2 weeks is an acceptable time frame. It is the tomite stage which is most susceptible to treatment. Google Ich as understanding the life cycle gives insight into treatment recommendation.

SNap0283
12-14-2010, 07:42 PM
So far the ich has not spread so thats a good thing, but if i am unlucky enough to have a strain that is not going to be effected by the heat/salt treatment is using copper safe? I always used it with great success on other fish but im not sure if discus are sensitive to it, or if it along with the salt and heat would be an unsafe combo? Any input?

Eddie
12-14-2010, 11:13 PM
So far the ich has not spread so thats a good thing, but if i am unlucky enough to have a strain that is not going to be effected by the heat/salt treatment is using copper safe? I always used it with great success on other fish but im not sure if discus are sensitive to it, or if it along with the salt and heat would be an unsafe combo? Any input?

I wouldn't mix chemicals unless somebody instructs you to, and yes, salt is a chemical. The absolute best treatment for ich is Quick Cure, only 2-3 day treatment but you went with salt and high heat. Just finish out the salt treatment and if it returns, you'll want to go with Quick Cure. If you do end up getting QC, you will need to lower the temp and remove all the salt before using it. I'm just telling you this as a precaution so you don't rush out, get it and treat the tank. It happens all the time. :(

Eddie
12-14-2010, 11:15 PM

I wouldn't mix chemicals unless somebody instructs you to, and yes, salt is a chemical. The absolute best treatment for ich is Quick Cure, only 2-3 day treatment but you went with salt and high heat. Just finish out the salt treatment and if it returns, you'll want to go with Quick Cure. If you do end up getting QC, you will need to lower the temp and remove all the salt before using it. I'm just telling you this as a precaution so you don't rush out, get it and treat the tank. It happens all the time. :(

SNap0283
12-15-2010, 07:54 PM
Yeah, i picked the heat and temp treatment mostly because they are juvies and were showing no signs of lost appetite, and still havnt through the treatment. I was worried about possible side effects with appetite or other issues with adding a medication to the water. I just didnt want to end up with stunted fish!! So far so good and it looks to be clearing up a little bit today so im pretty happy thus far. The only bad thing is the 75g tank that i moved them to has a black bottom which makes for ugly pigeons but so be it! Their final home will be a 120 once they grow into it