PDA

View Full Version : Simple start up questions

kuskus78
12-11-2010, 07:00 PM
I'm sure that most of these questions have been answered here, but would like to ask them. I have had cichlids for years and have had good luck with water and disease. I know that from reading discus can be challenging and difficult at times but would like to get into them. The question i have are basic and if links can be posted to different posts, that would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Tank: Thinking about a hexagon (18x22or24 inches tall) think its about 30-40 gals. What size do you recommend to be avg? Would like to have 2 different discus and three to four each of that type.

Filter: Not sure here i can buy a canister Magnum 350 or i have a wet/dry i can set-up?

Lights: White/Blue or just White? Dim or Bright? Watt per gallon?

Plants: Yes or No? If yes what types, something not over powering, I like the longer grass blade looking stuff? I'm very new to plants.

Drift Wood: Yes or No? Ideas?

Substrate: Gravel or Sand? How deep?

Water: How should my water test? PH,Temp, GH, KH, .....?

Thanks again.
John

Eddie
12-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Tank: Thinking about a hexagon (18x22or24 inches tall) think its about 30-40 gals. What size do you recommend to be avg? Would like to have 2 different discus and three to four each of that type. Skip the hex, it doesnt have a good footprint for discus. Discus prefer larger footprints to move about as a school.

Filter: Not sure here i can buy a canister Magnum 350 or i have a wet/dry i can set-up? You can get any filter you want from Kensfish.com. He is one of Simply's amazing sponsors.

Lights: White/Blue or just White? Dim or Bright? Watt per gallon? Depends on if you are going to have plants or not. If no, then .5-1 WPG is good and I find pink bulbs bring the fishes colors out best, such as the colormax bulbs.

Plants: Yes or No? If yes what types, something not over powering, I like the longer grass blade looking stuff? I'm very new to plants. If you are new to plants, get something thats easy to maintain like Anubias which will grow fine in low lighting.

Drift Wood: Yes or No? Ideas? Its up to you, if you have the tank capacity for it and the discus.

Substrate: Gravel or Sand? How deep? If anything, sand but even then, I'd skip any substrate bottom if this is your first discus tank. Also depends on the age of fish you plan to get.

Water: How should my water test? PH,Temp, GH, KH, .....? PH can range from 6-8.5, KH around 3-4, GH doesn't really matter IMO, temp between 82-86F.

I do prefer a high GH but some people prefer almost none, its a personal preference really.

kuskus78
12-12-2010, 03:02 PM
What range of watts should i be in for Anubias plant? Color bulbs? Why no Substrate?

dbfzurowski
12-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Bare bottom is easier to clean. The long grass plant is jungle val. Very easy to grow. Sand with fert tabs would do. Best tank to get is 75g. Just little thicker then a 55 but more room to play with. Bulbs should be 6700k and 10000k. Another awesome plant that i recommend is amazon frogbit, grows super fast in low tech tanks. Look into dosing water for better plant growth.

Eddie
12-13-2010, 07:05 PM
1-1.5 WPG would be adequate.