PDA

View Full Version : Artificially Raising (eating each other?)

Tiesto
12-11-2010, 11:35 PM
Hi,

I am artificially raising my first batch of golden albino's and i noticed something interesting today...

They are about a week and half old and this morning i got up and i went to look at my albino fry, everything looked normal. I usually check for any dead ones or ones that are about to die from not getting enough feed but everything looked fine.

I was suppose to feed some BBS when i got up but my BBS were not ready, they hadn't hatched yet. anyway i went away for 20minutes or so and then came back to look at them. I noticed one of the smaller ones were dead. I was like hmmm maybe i didn't see a small weak one that was about to die, so i got my baster and removed it. I came back about a hour later to find another small one dead. I was kind of confused at this time but i thought maybe there was another small weak one that was about to die that i didn't see. also the BBS were still not ready at this time.

I went away for a bit more and when i came back. I seen another small fry dead. I was like hang on a minute, there is something wrong here. I had a closer look at the dead fry and i noticed one of the eyes were poked out, hanging on the side of it's head, then i realised that the bigger fry that were getting more feed were eating the smaller ones off.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal? should i remove the smaller looking fry to another container?

Thanks
Tiesto

goodoo
12-12-2010, 06:49 AM
silence of the lambs. Fish are nasty.

stanlee
12-12-2010, 10:54 AM
dog eat dog, fish eat fish :)

kaceyo
12-12-2010, 02:53 PM
I have never heard of fry activly killing and eating each other. If one dies, theothers will definitly pick at it and eat it.
I'd guess that they are either dieing from parasites (flukes) or injuries from the parents.
Never mind the Parents idea, since they are not parent raised that's probably unlikely.

guille2007
12-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Hi,

I am artificially raising my first batch of golden albino's and i noticed something interesting today...

They are about a week and half old and this morning i got up and i went to look at my albino fry, everything looked normal. I usually check for any dead ones or ones that are about to die from not getting enough feed but everything looked fine.

I was suppose to feed some BBS when i got up but my BBS were not ready, they hadn't hatched yet. anyway i went away for 20minutes or so and then came back to look at them. I noticed one of the smaller ones were dead. I was like hmmm maybe i didn't see a small weak one that was about to die, so i got my baster and removed it. I came back about a hour later to find another small one dead. I was kind of confused at this time but i thought maybe there was another small weak one that was about to die that i didn't see. also the BBS were still not ready at this time.

I went away for a bit more and when i came back. I seen another small fry dead. I was like hang on a minute, there is something wrong here. I had a closer look at the dead fry and i noticed one of the eyes were poked out, hanging on the side of it's head, then i realised that the bigger fry that were getting more feed were eating the smaller ones off.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal? should i remove the smaller looking fry to another container?

Thanks
Tiesto

I also have looked it with my own eyes, fry killing the smaller ones, attacking them, always under artificially way without parents, the same like you looked, if you are patient and keep observing them you also will look it, I still not sure why they do that because it is not for eating purposes since they leave them intact after killing, I have though if they do it to keep safe themselves from predators, leaving they food, it may be an ancestral reflex.