PDA

View Full Version : Plant water chemistry? (K-what? for my Hygrophila Corymbosa 'Siamensis' Melting)

ericatdallas
12-12-2010, 04:27 PM
I did some research and found that lack of potassium may be causing my Hygros to melt. So I figured I buy Potassium powder and came up with the following choices.

1) Potassium Gluconate
2) Potassium Bicarbonate
3) Potassium Chloride

Which one is best? Using my basic chemistry background and what I could find on the net, they all have some benefits (I could be wrong).

#1) It could remove metals from the water. I don't think I have a problem with metals though, but I might buy some anyway.

#2) It could add carbon dioxide to the water for plant growth?

#3) It could soften water, which discus prefer.

Are my conclusions wrong? Doing a search, apparently people use all of them. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Eric

Len
12-12-2010, 05:09 PM
I use Potassium Sulfate and sometimes mono potassium phosphate (to raise phosphate as well)

dbfzurowski
12-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Potassium phosphate is best i think as it doesnt react with chlorine in water causing an acid of some kind. It's been some time since i looked at a chem book. You can
Go on plantedtanks forum ans search there

ericatdallas
12-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Potassium phosphate is best i think as it doesnt react with chlorine in water causing an acid of some kind. It's been some time since i looked at a chem book. You can
Go on plantedtanks forum ans search there

Don't Discus prefer a slightly lower PH? I'm just worried about raising phosphate levels b/c of algae. But I guess that might not be a problem...

Len
12-12-2010, 09:50 PM
Your plants need small amounts of phosphate and if all pf the other nutrients are in balance then the plants will out-compete the algae for them and it should not be a problem. Some of the other things you should look at keeping in stock for a planted tank ate potassium nitrate, magnesium sulfate (epsom salts), and some form of trace elements to introduce iron and such. Keeping all of these things in balance can be done quite easily while also maintaining a good ph. A nice little tool to look for is Chuck's planted tank calculator. It will tell you the amounts of these chemicals to use to achieve the numbers you are looking for. If you look for it, and can't find it let me know because I'm pretty sure I have a copy here somewhere.