PDA

View Full Version : Fluval 304 broke!!!!

spyder329
12-12-2010, 10:51 PM
I have a 55 gallon tank with a fluval 304 and an ATI Hydro Sponge 4. The fluval just stopped working.. My question in how long can I go with just the Sponge filter... I am going to replace the fluval, I am just wondering if it is super important to get the fluval replaced asap or do I have a week or so to get this done?

Thanks in advanced

spyder329
12-14-2010, 02:13 PM
Anyone know anything about this? Its now been 2 days since the fluval broke and I am curious to know....

Thanks again,

hironobu
12-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Which part of the 304 broke? Parts for Fluval can be easily obtained at a reasonable price (online or lfs). Unless the motor went out you should try to repair it. Just my 2 cents.

In terms of how long that sponge filter will last really depends on the bio load of the tank in my experience. (how many fish in the tank, how often you feed, planted or not, temperature of the tank... etc) With that said you should be ok given regular water change. Your tank will guide you; look for signs of stress.

DonMD
12-14-2010, 06:12 PM
Anyone know anything about this? Its now been 2 days since the fluval broke and I am curious to know....

Thanks again,

Your original post was dated 12/12. I read it a couple days ago, and decided not to reply as your bio filter would by then have probably died. Now I see you indicate your post was day before yesterday. I'm confused.

I would have recommended that you remove the bio filter rings in their baskets from the Fluval canister because leaving them in water, the bacteria would deplete the oxygen if no new water was entering. Keeping the media moist but oxygenated, they probably would survive a few days giving you time to put them in your new, or repaired, canister filter.

spyder329
12-14-2010, 07:43 PM
Which part of the 304 broke? Parts for Fluval can be easily obtained at a reasonable price (online or lfs). Unless the motor went out you should try to repair it. Just my 2 cents.

In terms of how long that sponge filter will last really depends on the bio load of the tank in my experience. (how many fish in the tank, how often you feed, planted or not, temperature of the tank... etc) With that said you should be ok given regular water change. Your tank will guide you; look for signs of stress.

Thanks for the reply, I am feeding them 4 times a day, the tank is at 84 degrees, no plants and there are 6 total fish in the tank. I am changing 30 gallons every 3 days.. It's been a few days now and the fish seem to be doing great (the same as they have been). I will try to get the Fluval fixed soon...

Your original post was dated 12/12. I read it a couple days ago, and decided not to reply as your bio filter would by then have probably died. Now I see you indicate your post was day before yesterday. I'm confused.

The post was started on the 12th I just updated it on the same day I started it, which was only 2 days ago as today is the 14th and the Fluval had broken that night

I would have recommended that you remove the bio filter rings in their baskets from the Fluval canister because leaving them in water, the bacteria would deplete the oxygen if no new water was entering. Keeping the media moist but oxygenated, they probably would survive a few days giving you time to put them in your new, or repaired, canister filter.

So if I do not remove the bio rings out of a filter that is not running the fish will survive only a few days? I do not understand.. The fluval is not passing water to the tank.. The only filtration that I have in the tank is the ATI Hydro Sponge 4 that says its good for tanks up to 80 gallons. My original question was how long will I be able to get by on just the Hydro Sponge?

gixeron1wheel
12-15-2010, 01:09 AM
I have a Fluval 304...I would say it's an ok filter. It's a pain to do any cleaning or maintenance as are my 405 filters. I kinda hate them all when I have to shut them down and try to restart them. I would scrap the Fluval and get an Aqua Clear hang on back filter. Just my opinion.

As far as the sponge filters, keep an eye on the water quality by testing. You need to get the sponge's bacteria established in order for it to be 100% effective.

William Palumbo
12-15-2010, 01:15 AM
It can EASILY run on just the sponge. With 6 fish, and proper wc's, the canister is a waste of electric...Bill

spyder329
12-15-2010, 10:40 AM
It can EASILY run on just the sponge. With 6 fish, and proper wc's, the canister is a waste of electric...Bill

Thats what I wanted to here... Thanks bill... I was even thinking of putting another sponge in JIC.....

Would I need to do more water changes or just keep my regular schedule?

William Palumbo
12-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Hey Nick...That's what I run, and it works for ME...For me, a 55g with just 6 fish, is not worth the space and electricity it costs to run. I run several sponges in all my tanks. Not sure what your wc schedule is. I like to run my tanks a bit overstocked, to get more bang for my buck. But that's just me. But the wc's is what keeps everything working/happy...Bill

spyder329
12-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Hey Nick...That's what I run, and it works for ME...For me, a 55g with just 6 fish, is not worth the space and electricity it costs to run. I run several sponges in all my tanks. Not sure what your wc schedule is. I like to run my tanks a bit overstocked, to get more bang for my buck. But that's just me. But the wc's is what keeps everything working/happy...Bill

Bill, Thank you for the valuable information.. Would you suggest that I put in another sponge or so you think that running the 4 is enough? I could add a 3 or another 4 if I have too..

My water change schedule is changing 30 gallons every 3 days... So thats what just over 50% every three days. Since the fluval broke I have not noticed any difference in the water, everything looks good. Come to think of it, I would think that adding another 4 would be good just in case something happens to the one thats already in the tank.. Kind of like an insurance policy..

Again thank you for taking the time...

William Palumbo
12-15-2010, 07:23 PM
Hey Nick...ALWAYS run more than one. Besides added aeration/filtration...it's very helpful when starting up another tank. If that amount works for your wc's then leave it. But yes, put in another sponge...Bill