PDA

View Full Version : Are these fish ok to buy?

sidekick101
12-13-2010, 06:53 PM
Hello all. I have been doing alot of reading and want to get into discus. I have a 55gal planted that has been going for some time now. I was reading the "what not to buy" sticky and it kinda scared me haha. From what I can tell these are great looking fish, but i am still new so I could be wrong. Also what breed woudl these be classified as? Thanx all. I look forward to spending some time around these parts:)

Jason K.
12-13-2010, 06:56 PM
they look just fine to me... perhaps checker boards?

Eddie
12-13-2010, 07:09 PM
If those are pictures of the actual fish, then they look fine but I'd ask for more shots. Looks like an advert to me. They are Pigeon Blood type and the names vary on their pattern. Carnation, Maze, Checkerboard...whatever. Then some people even try to get creative with names as a selling tactic like nobody else has them. Names like Red Dragon or the funniest one I've read yet is Bold Red Universe, so funny. LOL

Discus_1
12-13-2010, 07:25 PM
those are really nice ;)

Arjunpun
12-13-2010, 08:01 PM
I wud buy them if the price is right.

Discus-Hans
12-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Hmmmmmmm think I've seen that picture before. One of the members here was breeding those if I remember well, if not, they look very much like them?????

Hans

sidekick101
12-13-2010, 08:58 PM
He is about 1.5hrs from me. I'm heading down wed to pick up 3. I was going to get 3 different kinds, but I just like the looks of those so much. But after reading all the information i have on here, i know know what to look for in discus. The gentilman selling them called then "red map/ red tiger pigeon". I didnt know how accuarte this was so i wanted to see. This site is awesome:) Thanx for all the fast replies everyone

sidekick101
12-13-2010, 09:03 PM
I wud buy them if the price is right. What would be a fair price for these in 4" fish and 5" fish?

Discus-Hans
12-13-2010, 09:06 PM
What would be a fair price for these in 4" fish and 5" fish?

$100.00 to $150.00 is fair, anything lesser = nice,

Hans

Eddie
12-13-2010, 09:07 PM
He is about 1.5hrs from me. I'm heading down wed to pick up 3. I was going to get 3 different kinds, but I just like the looks of those so much. But after reading all the information i have on here, i know know what to look for in discus. This site is awesome:) Thanx for all the fast replies everyone

Also, if you are going to see the fish before you buy them, here are some tips to look for. Check for:

Activeness of the fish, not lethargic
Open fins, displaying fully spread fins
All fins in good shape and even, symmetrical
Gill plates, smooth and close (tight) to the body, not flared, short or thick
Steady/not fast breathing
Eye size, color, shape and symmetry
Overall shape (round not oblong or arrow shaped)
Smooth transition from the mouth into the dorsal, no bumps
Good chin,not weak or beaky looking

Put your hands up to the tank, the fish should come to the front and beg for food.

If any of these are not good, leave. Don't be mystified by the colors or patterns as this is the least important aspect in selecting discus.

sidekick101
12-13-2010, 09:12 PM
I understand all of those but 2 eddie
1) if the fish are nervous and swim away, could I not condition them the be more used to people?
2) How can I tell the shape. I'm so new that they all look arrow shaped to me. Could i maybe get you to post 2 pics side by side of a great fist and a poor fish?

Discus-Hans
12-13-2010, 09:12 PM
Also, if you are going to see the fish before you buy them, here are some tips to look for. Check for:

Activeness of the fish, not lethargic
Open fins, displaying fully spread fins
All fins in good shape and even, symmetrical
Gill plates, smooth and close (tight) to the body, not flared, short or thick
Steady/not fast breathing
Eye size, color, shape and symmetry
Overall shape (round not oblong or arrow shaped)
Smooth transition from the mouth into the dorsal, no bumps
Good chin,not weak or beaky looking

Put your hands up to the tank, the fish should come to the front and beg for food.

If any of these are not good, leave.

Eddie,

are not over doing it now a little??? This guy is not looking for a Discus to travel the World from show to show and make money on them?? I think??

Sidekick, if you like them, buy them, Eddie is getting a little too serious lately lol lol lol
looks almost like you visit Texas??? lol lol lol

Hans

Eddie
12-13-2010, 09:14 PM
1) if the fish are nervous and swim away, could I not condition them the be more used to people? A nervous fish is a junk fish if its in the breeders tanks. They can be nervous or timid when they get into their new home but not in the home they are used to.
2) How can I tell the shape. I'm so new that they all look arrow shaoed to me. Could i maybe get you to post 2 pics side by side of a great fist and a poor fish? Easy, review the University section and find fish that scored well in the shape category or look at the recent winners in the international shows for good examples.

Eddie
12-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Eddie,

are not over doing it now a little??? This guy is not looking for a Discus to travel the World from show to show and make money on them?? I think??

Sidekick, if you like them, buy them, Eddie is getting a little too serious lately lol lol lol
looks almost like you visit Texas??? lol lol lol

Hans

LOL, is he buying the fish from you Hans?!!! Just Kidding

Not even close, the guy can buy a hyundai if he wants, but better to get the nicer car. I mean some people may want the average car but if you saved up the money to get quality, get quality.

Eddie
12-13-2010, 09:31 PM
The gentilman selling them called then "red map/ red tiger pigeon". I didnt know how accuarte this was so i wanted to see. This site is awesome:) Thanx for all the fast replies everyone

Like I mentioned, all sorts of crazy names. And about 100 each isn't too bad at around 5". Depends on how many you buy, maybe he'll give you a deal. Discus salesman are like car salesman except you ain't gettin no extended warranty. LOL

dadecountyalan
12-13-2010, 11:56 PM
$100.00 to $150.00 is fair, anything lesser = nice,

Hans

lol. then i get fish from some very nice people.