PDA

View Full Version : This made me sick...........

BODYDUB
12-13-2010, 10:55 PM
If this is a repost sorry, and if the MODS need to move it then please do..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWMnPZKJWaE

Eddie
12-13-2010, 10:58 PM
Thats actually one of the sponsors videos. Why does it make you sick?

BODYDUB
12-13-2010, 10:59 PM
It's gotta be stressful on the fish..............

Eddie
12-13-2010, 11:01 PM
It's gotta be stressful on the fish..............

Not at all, healthy fish don't care one bit. If you notice, the fish actually swim into the current at times. They are not made of glass.

BODYDUB
12-13-2010, 11:03 PM
I'm pretty sure you just made me put my foot in my mouth Eddie.............

Eddie
12-13-2010, 11:07 PM
Its all good, it just shows how discus are not so fragile as many assume. They've grown in that type of condition and are very used to it. I do the same thing at my house, maybe even more extensive since I scrub my tanks down fast as the tank drains and knock all my fish around. Then when I fill the tank, I feed the fish and they are happy as hippos.

Greenheinie
12-14-2010, 11:03 AM
My fish love flopping around in an inch of water while blasted with high-pressure water too. It recreates the Amazon.

John_Nicholson
12-14-2010, 01:30 PM
This one has been on here before. The fish are fine. It is not a problem at all.

-john

John_Nicholson
12-14-2010, 01:30 PM
This one has been on here before. The fish are fine. It is not a problem at all.

-john

ockyra215
12-14-2010, 02:13 PM
I am actually jealous of these guys they have a crap load of discus and I wish I had a way to change water in that amount under an hour with that many tanks.
And they all look happy as pigs in .......
JMO

DiscusKev
12-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Yea reposted, this is Lawrence's (luckytropical) fish farm. Great setup.

Jason K.
12-14-2010, 02:26 PM
love that video... I do pull some floppers myself, but I wish I could just dump the water on the floor like they do

jimg
12-14-2010, 02:32 PM
All those tank wc's and no fish water in their mouths....amazing!!!!

truc_tuyen
12-14-2010, 02:33 PM
like others, i just wonder of where all the water went?

ShinShin
12-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Its an everday occurance for these fish. They were born into it. They think it is supposed to be this way.

Mat

BTW, there are no discus in the Amazon.

wendy9722
12-26-2010, 06:37 PM
I wish I had that many discus and that set up myself. I have them in my livingroom and bedroom so that wouldnt work out that well. I also treat my discus like they are antique glass that is super thin. But I guess I dont have to any more if they can tolerate that without any issues.
Thanks for the info.
God bless and Happy Holidays,
Wendy

danny2013
12-26-2010, 06:59 PM
Notice that the fishes stress bars dont show at all or very little. They seem fine to me. They dont look stressed.

SScharder
12-27-2010, 01:47 AM
If those fish can talk they would say Oh $hit not again!!

Arjunpun
12-27-2010, 03:04 AM
they wud be happy ohh fresh air again.lol

Ed13
12-27-2010, 09:18 AM
All those tank wc's and no fish water in their mouths....amazing!!!!
Your doing it wrong!!!;)lol

like others, i just wonder of where all the water went?
Floor:p When Lawrence shared the video with us he said "...water goes into the floor and to the outside drain in this building."

chupa cabra
12-27-2010, 09:35 AM
If those fish can talk they would say Oh $hit not again!!

I agree.
Try putting a jet of water like that one to your face or eyes and tell me if it feels good, and they are not swiming under the jet, they are being pull under the jet.

roundfishross
12-27-2010, 09:55 AM
when I dump old fish water on my floor it makes my carpet stink!!!!!! lol!!! hehehe!!!

William Palumbo
12-27-2010, 10:38 AM
That's done 2 or 3 times a day...and I'M supposed to worry about going "green?" I'm sure those Discus just tolerate it, and cannot possibly like it...Bill

fishy_dude
12-29-2010, 10:38 PM
wow, I guess it's not the worst thing that could happen to them but it's sure not the best looking thing that can happen to them either. It seems like the water going into the tanks could have bigger openings on the fittings so they would not spray soo hard?? The water flow would be the same with bigger holes but much softer.

John_Nicholson
12-29-2010, 11:16 PM
Does not hurt a thing. Hell of a lot nicer then having some other large fish in the Amazon eat you......

-john

hedut
12-29-2010, 11:42 PM
this crazy thread ever :);). is not big thing if you have fish farm they just think fastest way bro, they have so many tanks and they need to wc at least twice a day if follow your way when is gonna fish;), did you think this way? you should see your fish when you do wc and I'm sure they love new water:).

William Palumbo
12-30-2010, 02:04 AM
I love fresh air too...but I don't want an air-hose blowing in my face full blast!...Bill

SScharder
12-30-2010, 03:22 AM
How do you know does not hurt a thing? Let fire fighters use their big hose sprey on ur face and you'll know.

Does not hurt a thing. Hell of a lot nicer then having some other large fish in the Amazon eat you......

-john

Eddie
12-30-2010, 03:46 AM
How do you know does not hurt a thing? Let fire fighter use their big hose spey on ur face and you'll know.

LMAO, you must work for PETA.

Ed13
12-30-2010, 08:40 AM
How do you know does not hurt a thing? Let fire fighters use their big hose sprey on ur face and you'll know.

Because, once they have enough water to swim upright they start acting normal and a few moments later would go for food if available. I know I use to feed my juvenile discus after a 100% WC when the tank was refilled to about 8" and eagerly accepted it. You wouldn't go for a steak after being sprayed in the face with a fire fighters pressure hose?! lol
Fish are way tougher than many give them credit and although I agree that perhaps it's not wise to blast them with pressured water, its not because it'll cause major damage but rather because they are for sale and a few scales missing might cause trouble during shipping.

ockyra215
12-30-2010, 09:18 AM
PETA lol
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

mmorris
12-30-2010, 09:34 AM
They seem to get over it, but I wonder how old the fish are before they start this wc regiment. I wonder, too, if the breeding pairs get the same. The answers might tell us something about what the breeders think of the impact. Of course it stresses the fish; if they liked it, they would live in waters with turbulence.

Melissa
12-30-2010, 09:51 AM
when I dump old fish water on my floor it makes my carpet stink!!!!!! lol!!! hehehe!!!
Lol!!!! Don't you hate when that happens! :p

This whole thread kept me laughing, you guys are hilarious!!

mmorris
12-30-2010, 09:55 AM
LOL I remember! And that big 'ole stain that gets left behind!

Melissa
12-30-2010, 10:05 AM
Lol! The damn stains! Haha!

I'm much happier doing everything with hoses and pumps now... No more sloshy buckets for me! If only I had figured it out sooner and just bought a darn pump lol I was lugging 5 lb buckets of water for years! Even when I was pregnant!

I wonder why they have to spray the water so freaking hard in that video.... Geez....

John_Nicholson
12-30-2010, 10:28 AM
LOL. Come on people these are fish...they are not fragile creatures. These fish has been raised like that. They have brains the size of a pea but if they were able to have intelligent thoughts they would gladly trade twice a day water changes in a tank where they don't have to look for food or look out for predators. Those fish are on easy street compared to how they would live in the wild. We have people that want to raise fish with zero water changes, we have people mixing stock without quarantine, we have people on here everyday doing things to their fish that are 10,000 times worse then how these guys change water.......

-john

Melissa
12-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Well said John. I'd have to agree!

mmorris
12-30-2010, 10:55 AM
It doesn't matter what the fish would trade for if they could, or how tough other discus have it. The question is, firstly, does the wc regime stress the fish? Of course it does. Secondly, does it have a long-term impact? I don't know- I would think not - but it would be interesting to know if they do wc's on breeding pairs and fry the same way.

scottthomas
12-30-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm not sure we can make it a definitive statement "of course it does stress the fish". I routinely drain water till they are laying on their side and scrub the tank, pushing the fish to one side with my hand. I am not particularly gentel. As I refill the tank, they will fight for food even before they have room to swim upright. I personally see no signs of stress. Many of my fish will even cooperate and let me pick them up by hand when the tank is full. I don’t think the fish mind if the water is a little turbulent for a few minutes as long as they are healthy. They get very tame and used to people.

roundfishross
12-30-2010, 11:46 AM
lawrence stated originally (somewhere I havnt looked to find it ) that the breeders and small fry have to be done the old fashioned way! no way around it.

John_Nicholson
12-30-2010, 11:57 AM
"It doesn't matter what the fish would trade for if they could, or how tough other discus have it. The question is, firstly, does the wc regime stress the fish? Of course it does. Secondly, does it have a long-term impact? I don't know- I would think not - but it would be interesting to know if they do wc's on breeding pairs and fry the same way. "

Hate to tell you but you are not the all knowing and you cannot state that it has to stress the fish. You have no way of knowing that 100%. They are animals, not people. We need to quite trying to put human traits, feelings, and opinions on them.

-john

mmorris
12-30-2010, 12:20 PM
My fish always appear stressed when they are laying on their sides, flopping around. Yes, they seem to get over it quickly. Thanks for that info, Ross. That they use the old-fashioned method on fry and breeding pairs certainly tells me something. I think humans share quite a few traits and feelings with the other members of the animal kingdom. We've always disagreed on this, and that's OK.

John_Nicholson
12-30-2010, 12:29 PM
I see that the word "appear" has replaced "of course". I still say that unless you are the Incredible Mr. Limpet then you really don't know. The only thing these fish are concerned with is eating and reproducing. That stream of water does not appear to be extremely. If you could put your hand in ti without causing problems then it is not hurting the fish in any physical manner. I don't it causes any real stress but since no human really knows for sure I will say this....if it does stress them does it really matter? 5 minutes from now they will have no clue that it ever happened.

-john

P.S. Anyone smell blueberries?

roundfishross
12-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Mr Limpet is tha man!!!!

ockyra215
12-30-2010, 12:50 PM
I agree With John on this. Besides I think we are looking to deep into this!

William Palumbo
12-30-2010, 04:42 PM
I agree Dave...It got too serious. I posted "tongue" and "cheek", but that usually does not work with typed words. WOW...3 pages so far!...Bill

Discus-n00b
12-30-2010, 05:23 PM
They have brains the size of a pea

LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atMEnTUrufw&feature=related

Eddie
12-31-2010, 12:08 AM
Blueberries, definitely in the air. ;)

Eddie
12-31-2010, 08:21 AM
You wouldn't go for a steak after being sprayed in the face with a fire fighters pressure hose?! lol

Hilarious, literally ROTFLMAO!!!!

wendy9722
01-01-2011, 12:38 AM
Hilarious, literally ROTFLMAO!!!!

+1

White Worm
01-01-2011, 01:57 AM
I'd have to say that the only bad part would be the direct stream of water hitting a discus in the eyes or creating an injury. Just re-directing the incoming water would be a better idea. JMO.