PDA

View Full Version : Too much water flow?

chaoslite
12-14-2010, 12:22 AM
Hey guys,

I have a question please. I have a new 125g up and running. My Eheim 2217 is running, but is brand new and not cycled. The spray bar is aimed across the top of the tank. I also have two HOBs that are fully cycled and running on the tank. I am thinking the discus are not appreciating all of the water flow. All are eating, but seem to be hanging in between all the filters where the water flow isn't so fast, when they are in the flow they clamp their fins and swim quickly to get out of it. Any suggestions?

Mishka

Eddie
12-14-2010, 12:27 AM
Hey guys,

I have a question please. I have a new 125g up and running. My Eheim 2217 is running, but is brand new and not cycled. The spray bar is aimed across the top of the tank. I also have two HOBs that are fully cycled and running on the tank. I am thinking the discus are not appreciating all of the water flow. All are eating, but seem to be hanging in between all the filters where the water flow isn't so fast, when they are in the flow they clamp their fins and swim quickly to get out of it. Any suggestions?

Mishka

If there is no way to adjust the flow, you can actually drill more holes into the spraybar OR you can drill bigger holes where the existing holes are now. This will make much less current.

chaoslite
12-14-2010, 12:34 AM
Eddie you rock! Drilling more holes tomorrow.

Thanks,
Mishka

Eddie
12-14-2010, 12:36 AM
Eddie you rock! Drilling more holes tomorrow.

Thanks,
Mishka

Keep in mind that you will still have alot of flow but just not as strong a current.

3dees
12-14-2010, 11:18 AM
I think it's the hang on's and not the spray bar. I have a 120 gal which is 24" shorter than your tank. I run an Ehiem and a xp3 with spraybars pointed at each other and my fish swim all over the tank. my spray bars are pointed straight accross the top and not pointed down. you could also try blocking some of the flow from the hang on's.