PDA

View Full Version : discus growth

gautamhazare
12-14-2010, 06:46 AM
Hi All,

I got my discus stock couple of weeks back about 24 of different variety like red white, blue diamond, pigeon , ring and spotted, snake skin leopards from local breeder. blue diamond and red and white are showing colors but snake skin and ring and spotted leopards where not showing any colors (gray to slightly brownish as fry) when I bought them. they are all about 2 to 2.5 inches big now my guess is more than 2-3 months old.

Recently i noticed that snake skin leopards have started showing colors near the fins. I am a first timer with discus and a year old in fish keeping. Could you please tell me what size\age they need to grow to start showing full colors and when to expect that they show their full colors. I feed tetra bits week days and prawns tetra bits on weekends. WC weekly once or twice on the weekends when feeding prawn tetra bit mixture. tank size 90 G

flyer1988
12-14-2010, 07:00 AM
Well i aint no expert but, I would say they still need some more time to show thier colors. I have a group of 6 pigeon bloods at 3.5-4 inches big and I recall that they didnt have too much coloration when they were 2.5 inches.

I think that you should just give them more time, wait about another month or two. Im sure they start showing more color. As for the others who have already gotten some color each strain is different.

Eddie
12-14-2010, 08:14 AM
Some types take longer to develop color and pattern, like snakeskin types. Typically only very little color and pattern can be seen at around 3-4 months. The fish won't get good color/pattern until they are sub-adults (6-9 months) and even more once they reach full adulthood (10-15 months).

gautamhazare
12-15-2010, 12:38 AM
Thanks for your help.