PDA

View Full Version : in need od a discus book

chupa cabra
12-14-2010, 09:38 PM
i have been keeping fish all my life but never discus and i just got 3 discus and i am in need of a good beginners book
what do you guys recomend? i have my discus in a 240g tank

Eddie
12-14-2010, 09:49 PM
3 discus in 240 is like a person being thrown into the middle of the atlantic ocean. At least 10 minimum for that size tank. A good beginners book, I suggest Success with Discus by Jim Quarles, its one of my favorites.

ockyra215
12-15-2010, 08:57 AM
I agree with Eddie Jims book is very informative or you could go with any one of the Bernd Degen books are also good!

seanyuki
12-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Andrew Soh's books are good too.....The Naked Truth & Discus Problems & Solutions

chupa cabra
12-15-2010, 12:33 PM
3 discus in 240 is like a person being thrown into the middle of the atlantic ocean. At least 10 minimum for that size tank. A good beginners book, I suggest Success with Discus by Jim Quarles, its one of my favorites.

thanks for the book info
3 discus in a 240 is like being in a beautiful mansion and nobody to harras you, all for yourself, do what ever they want
its like being in disney land

chupa cabra
12-15-2010, 12:33 PM
thanks guys ill check them books out

Larry Bugg
12-15-2010, 12:39 PM
thanks for the book info
3 discus in a 240 is like being in a beautiful mansion and nobody to harras you, all for yourself, do what ever they want
its like being in disney land

Lol, I like that.

After a couple of days of being alone I go a little stir crazy. Like us, discus are a very social fish and do better in larger groups.

chupa cabra
12-15-2010, 04:33 PM
im buying 3 more discus this weekend, im taking it slow, i want to make sure im taking care of them the right way. i dont want to go over my head.
little by little the tank will be full :)

Len
12-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Andrew Soh's books are good too.....The Naked Truth & Discus Problems & Solutions

These are fantastic books. I thought they were a bit pricey when I ordered them, but now feel they are well worth it. If you go searching for them, it is easiest to just order them directly from Andrew. He shipped mine from Singapore to Canada in short order. He is a member here and you can send him a PM for info. He answered mine quickly.

rickztahone
12-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Igopro also carries the sohs books. I have a copy of problems and solutions if you are interested. I need to find it first however.

Eddie
12-15-2010, 10:38 PM
im buying 3 more discus this weekend, im taking it slow, i want to make sure im taking care of them the right way. i dont want to go over my head.
little by little the tank will be full :)

Good luck with that.

Larry Bugg
12-16-2010, 12:04 AM
I'll piggyback on Andrew Soh's books. You can't go wrong getting both of them. Excellent!!

ShinShin
12-16-2010, 12:09 AM
There are aot of good books out there. Dick Au's "Back to Nature" Discus book is another one that you can't go wrong with.

Mat

chupa cabra
12-17-2010, 06:11 PM
I just got 4 blue saphire today for a total of 7 discus. 3 more to go. I was told 3 wasn't a good # (10 discus min for a 240g tank ;)

hedut
12-17-2010, 09:16 PM
Oh man 3 discus in 240? I feel bad for discus, you could put 25 - 35 discus in that tank ;). Both Andrew Soh books are good ;)

chupa cabra
12-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Oh man 3 discus in 240? I feel bad for discus, you could put 25 - 35 discus in that tank ;). Both Andrew Soh books are good ;)

i got seven so far.

goodoo
12-19-2010, 04:38 AM
It takes time to get a discus collection, if you not loaded, or bad with cash. Dont rush into it just to compleate a school.

Eddie
12-19-2010, 02:14 PM
It takes time to get a discus collection, if you not loaded, or bad with cash. Dont rush into it just to compleate a school.

The problem with not getting a school at one time, is having to quarantine each batch and this may be common practice for some, people tend to skip the whole process which eventually has them posting in the disease section. Its all too common.

puntific
01-13-2011, 11:27 AM
These are fantastic books. I thought they were a bit pricey when I ordered them, but now feel they are well worth it. If you go searching for them, it is easiest to just order them directly from Andrew. He shipped mine from Singapore to Canada in short order. He is a member here and you can send him a PM for info. He answered mine quickly.

OK, if I were getting just one of these books should I get the first one or does the second have most info that the first has? I'm new to this branch of the hobby too.

puntific

ps. Whoops, thought the title would end up here. 1) The Naked Truth 2) Discus Problems and Solutions.

seanyuki
01-13-2011, 12:54 PM
I got both books....

The Naked Truth.

Chapters consist of:

1/ selecting the best
2/ culture tank system
3/ breeding
4/ artemia culture
5/ sexing
6/ grooming champion
7/ discus genetics
8/ import quarantine procedure
9/ diseases and treatments
10/list of commonly used drugs and chemicals
11/ frequently asked question

I will give a brief description of each chapter and some random pictures taken from this book

1/Selecting the best
This chapter has many diagrams and pictures of the different body shape the discus comes in. It gives the reader knowledge in what to look out for when purchasing discus.

2/culture tank systems
The author describes the different type of tank set ups, it has advantages and disadvantages of 7 different types of set ups, dealing specifically with filtration and the changing of water.

3/Breeding
Breeding can be so simple but so hard! It covers how to set up a breeding tank, pairing of fish, feeding of fry as well as excellent photography of the whole breeding process from the egg to young fry.

4/Artemia culture
There is not much text in books which covers this area so well, this chapter is very impressive. Anyone can now hatch and grow brine shrimp at home!

5/Sexing
What to look for when determine the gender of your fish, after reading this chapter thoroughly the reader will be more accurate at sexing their precious discus!

6/Grooming a champion
How to pick the best discus, from an early age and goes through the finer points of culling and conditioning.

7/Discus genetics
Genetics is the science of inheritance. An excellent read on the laws of discus genetics, very detailed in information and is an excellent resource for both the beginner and the advanced hobbyist.

8/ Import and quarantine procedures
To put simply, prevention is better than cure, and curing discus is a nightmare!

9/Diseases and treatments
I have not read up to date, detailed information on this subject until I picked up this book.
Learn about the problem and the remedy

10/List of commonly used drugs and chemicals
Learn about the drug/chemical and the dose rate to use. From Antibiotics to Zeolite

11/ Frequently asked questions
If you had a problem and would like to solve it, no doubt it will be under this chapter!

Discus - Problems & Solutions by Andrew Soh

All about the problems encountered with discus from larval stages through to adulthood - and how to overcome the problems.

Follow up to the highly successful Discus - Naked truth, Andrew Soh, the author, has recognised the need for a guide to solving the problems encountered at all stages with Discus and written this near 200 page book. Complete with many photographs and diagrams, Andrew writes this in an easy to use, layman's terms language.
Contents

* Aknowledgements
* Preface
* Chapter One. . . . . . . . Breeding
* Chapter Two. . . . . . . . Inducing Discus to Spawn
* Chapter Three . . . . . . Faces of Discus. Changes in facial pattern and using it to describe the history of mutations.
* Chapter Four . . . . . . . Recipe. What are the essential ingredients to add into the discus diet, a post-mortem of all ingredients and presenting my personal beef-heart recipes for juveniles, adult and older.
* Chapter Five . . . . . . . .Pro-More
* Chapter Six . . . . . . . . .Pro-Growth
* Chapter Seven . . . . . .Fucin
* Chapter Eight . . . . . . .Diseases
* Chapter Nine . . . . . . . Genetics. The chapter on genetics is the largest chapter comprising more than 30 pages and much more advance than the first book.
* Chapter Ten . . . . . . . FAQ's

Just my opinion....get both books

jimg
01-13-2011, 01:06 PM
I like discus Health by Untergasser the best.

gsteve
01-13-2011, 10:53 PM
I just ordered .. discus for the perfectionist... was highly recc.

angel eyes
01-17-2011, 10:56 AM
IF your into breeding a great book that I found was Jack Wattley's Discus Breeding for Beginners.
Covers equipment needed, hatchin artificially, the right water, selecting good stock, etc.

ISBN 0-7938-3008-7
completely manufactured by T.F.H. Publications, Inc.

MostlyDiscus
01-17-2011, 12:52 PM
If your looking for a book that covers everything then go with Discus the naked truth. This is one of the best books I have read since Discus Health. Ed