PDA

View Full Version : Netherlands

dpete9
12-15-2010, 09:45 AM
Hey all. I am originally from the U.S. - Minnesota. Now residing in Netherlands, Maastricht ( I miss the :sun: !! )
I just started with Discus again this last summer after about 5 yrs away from them (saltwater reef setup).I have 3 pair of Discus who are just learning the breeding game :p. Crossing my fingers XX

I think there are a few others on here who are also from the Netherlands.
Peace~
Pete

NanDiscus
12-15-2010, 12:30 PM
Congrats on your choice of country, Pete! ;)

Nandi

Discus-Hans
12-15-2010, 01:40 PM
I'm a run away boy, left Holland to go to the USA lol lol

Hans

Jennie
12-15-2010, 01:40 PM
now we're stuck with you

Discus-Hans
12-15-2010, 01:42 PM
now we're stuck with you

SORRYYYYYYYYYYYYY :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Jennie
12-15-2010, 01:49 PM
No your not! lol:)

Jennie
12-15-2010, 02:10 PM
don't worry Hans, you know we LOVES ya!

dpete9
12-15-2010, 03:21 PM
Well I'm honored to be in THE Discus Hans' home country.

hironobu
12-15-2010, 08:56 PM
Maastricht is an awesome town too. Studying?

dpete9
12-16-2010, 01:07 AM
Yes Limburg province in general is beautiful, but particularly Maastricht. Nope, here on work assignment.

hironobu
12-16-2010, 01:52 AM
Nice, I would love to work in Europe. As of now I'm way too attached to my discus I don't think I'll even move province/states. Good luck with your pairs. I have 3 new pairs myself and I'm having a hard time coping with white eggs on the 2nd day. Not cool. :(

dpete9
12-16-2010, 09:37 AM
Well my most prolific pair is back at it again today. The others aren't interested at all. just before they started laying eggs I did water changes added a couple drops of meth blue to the fresh water. I also did from one of the Cary Strong tips on the forum and added a few gallons of water from the prolific breeders to the others tanks. kind of showered them in the water. we'll see if any of those hormones in the water will get the others in the mood for love.. lol.
Fingers still crossed.
Pete

dpete9
08-28-2012, 03:32 PM
So I wanted to show everyone here "My home" for the past few years. This is Maastricht, these are actual images all from here and I have been to and seen all of this and so much more.. all within a short bike ride in any direction. Soon I will be leaving here and I will look back with fond memories of this place.. My HOME :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSSHyFRjuhY <--- be sure to view it full screen

Discus-Hans
08-28-2012, 07:33 PM
Pete, if there is still time I would advice you to take a "little" trip to the little village were I was born Ransdorp and the villages around it, Durgerdam, Holysloot, Zunderdorp, etc.

It's funny it's part of Amsterdam but it's in NO WAY Amsterdam. Whole Ransdorp is one street, a church, a school, a bar, if you go to the bar and say HI to the owner, her name is Yvonne, from Hans Koops van 't Jagt and tell you are a friend of mine, your drinks will probably for free. My father helped Yvonne's father to rebuild and change that bar think 2 times.

If you don't have time to go see this little place, at least eat a Hema worsie and a fricandel on me lol lol lol 2 of the things I miss the most (food wise) here in the USA. But that is because I found a place here in MI that imports Gerookte Aal and Zoute Haring lol lol

Hans

dpete9
08-28-2012, 07:40 PM
Oh Hans you truely are 100% Dutch Frikendel and Worsie.. My family from the US calls them FrankandDillans cracks me up. There's just too much here I will miss. although I don't eat them, there sure are a lot of people that munch on those Gerookte Aal (YACK) at the the vishandel in the maarkt in the city center on Fridays.. Gotta love Fridays here. I think I will take you up on checking out Ransdorp. I haven't even made it to the Frisian Islands yet though.

Discus-Hans
08-28-2012, 08:09 PM
Pete, did you even ever tried the smoked eel, a lot of Americans already say no by the idea, ohhhh now we started portie kibbeling on the market with knoflook saus ohhhhhh yeahhhhhhh.

I made it to 2 of the Islands Terschelling and Texel and only went there to PARTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY lol lol lol

If your in Ransdorp, right in front of the church no. 50 + 52 I was born and lived till I was 19 when I moved out, with my ex to Lelystad.

I wish every child in the world could have the youth I had in this little village. The amount of pikes (turned back) and Waleyes ~ snoekbaars (eat) and your loved ones, the eels I caught in the waters in and around Ransdorp, man I miss it.

Or a simple thing like walk out of the door and feed the bread left overs to the ducks ........... think I never saw a duck here in Baltimore lol lol lol

Heck I can't even remember seeing a "sloot" here lol

Hans

dpete9
08-28-2012, 08:19 PM
I know. You making this even harder on me now for the first year I could hardly wait to leave, 2nd year It felt like home 3rd year I'm really really going to miss this place.
I am working the night shift in Sittard my bus stop is called Lelystad/Kerk (Church next door) I am in the Vijverweg so there is this huge pond i can see out the window loaded with people fishing and ducks everywhere.. This year the pair of Black swans have been nesting she has 6 eggs in the nest. I never even knew black swans existed until I came here.

Hans this is an actual post I made on Facebook a few weeks ago:

If ever there was a modern day Utopia/ Garden of Eden I think I may be living there right now.Sadly the Dutch may not realize how magnificent their homeland is.
I walked for miles along a canal with just a small foot path along it. The water as glistening as a mirror in the sun, ducks with ducklings of all different colors just floating peacefully, purple Loostrife in bloom; (which btw is not an invasive species here), smell of flowers everywhere, no mosquitoes, wood-tics or other creepy crawlies. green pastures with sheep off in the distance, children riding horses, just meandering along the canal.
Anyways,, yup I think I found the Garden of Eden. Good Job on creating this paradise Dutchies, Kudos!

Discus-Hans
08-28-2012, 09:39 PM
I know. You making this even harder on me now for the first year I could hardly wait to leave, 2nd year It felt like home 3rd year I'm really really going to miss this place.
I am working the night shift in Sittard my bus stop is called Lelystad/Kerk (Church next door) I am in the Vijverweg so there is this huge pond i can see out the window loaded with people fishing and ducks everywhere.. This year the pair of Black swans have been nesting she has 6 eggs in the nest. I never even knew black swans existed until I came here.

Hans this is an actual post I made on Facebook a few weeks ago:

If ever there was a modern day Utopia/ Garden of Eden I think I may be living there right now.Sadly the Dutch may not realize how magnificent their homeland is.
I walked for miles along a canal with just a small foot path along it. The water as glistening as a mirror in the sun, ducks with ducklings of all different colors just floating peacefully, purple Loostrife in bloom; (which btw is not an invasive species here), smell of flowers everywhere, no mosquitoes, wood-tics or other creepy crawlies. green pastures with sheep off in the distance, children riding horses, just meandering along the canal.
Anyways,, yup I think I found the Garden of Eden. Good Job on creating this paradise Dutchies, Kudos!

Pete, believe me, with fishing when the sun goes down (when you catch eel) there are mosquitoes lol lol and a lot of them. Holland is a great country, Joanne and Jessie (my stephdaughter) loved it, old Amsterdam, the canals, Anna Frank House, Red light district, my daughter was 21 at that time, couldn't believe it, she had to walk up & down 2x to believe what she saw with the ladies in the windows lol lol

The tulips, flower fields, etc etc but also............... 19% sales tax to pay for the system they have there, gas prices ............ it made me sick......... but every were you go you got good and lesser good (or even bad lol)

Hans

strawberryblonde
08-29-2012, 04:38 AM
Shhhhhh Hans, there shall be no talk of bad things in the Netherlands! =)

Right now all I can think of is broodje frikandel and patat smothered in mayo. You guys are killing me! LOL

dpete9
08-29-2012, 06:18 AM
Wait there's one more thing you forgot .. IT RAINS ALL THE TIME!
but still love'n it here more then any other place I've been.

dpete9
08-29-2012, 07:51 AM
and I forgot I am originally from Minnesota so when I say "no mosquitoes " It's ll kind of relative.

Angel-Discus
12-13-2012, 07:06 AM
Hiyaa,

I am also residing in the Netherlands. Actually even in the same town as Pete lol Funny how small the world can be :) I am currently even breeding with his discus. I have acquired some amazing fish from him ,he sure knows how to pick them :)

Regards,
Sophia

Discus-Hans
12-14-2012, 12:59 AM
Ha................... an other Dutchy lol lol

Hans

MSD
12-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Only one Hans.

John_Nicholson
12-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Only one Hans.

That is a good thing...I mean could we really deal with more than one???????

LOL.

-john

MSD
12-14-2012, 07:50 PM
Hahaha, good point John.

Discus-Hans
12-15-2012, 03:16 AM
Only one Hans.

Thank you Mark, still waiting for that call !!!!!!!!!!!!

That is a good thing...I mean could we really deal with more than one???????

LOL.

-john

hmmmmm I know, I'm unique................ lol

ashleigh
05-26-2013, 06:25 PM
Wow I see the last reply was sometime ago, but i would just like to add that i also live in the Netherlands, in Den Haag, for about a year now, but i am actually Australian.
I just joined the forum, i used to be into keeping goldfish - properly, not just in a bowel and now my husband and i want to keep discus, he used to keep tropical fish (he is dutch).
Am i too late? Have the expats gone back home?

Btw, it's 21% tax now...

Fishwhispererpam
06-29-2013, 10:52 PM
Wow I see the last reply was sometime ago, but i would just like to add that i also live in the Netherlands, in Den Haag, for about a year now, but i am actually Australian.
I just joined the forum, i used to be into keeping goldfish - properly, not just in a bowel and now my husband and i want to keep discus, he used to keep tropical fish (he is dutch).
Am i too late? Have the expats gone back home?

Btw, it's 21% tax now...

My family is also Dutch and I have just returned from a 2 week visit there. Had a blast spending time with my sis! And best of all Koninginnedag. Holland now has a King!
Next year... Koning Dag.

dennis waage
06-30-2013, 03:47 AM
Yep, our new king and queen.
http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o731/denniswaage/koning-alexander-anp-1024_zps84f557b4.jpg (http://s1340.photobucket.com/user/denniswaage/media/koning-alexander-anp-1024_zps84f557b4.jpg.html)

DiscusLoverJeff
06-30-2013, 09:02 AM
Just to the left of the king, looks like a "George Bush" impersonator, Lol. Oh, For those from other countries, George Bush was a US President.

That is an amazing looking Queen for sure. Nice photo. Thanks for sharing.

dennis waage
06-30-2013, 09:11 AM
Thank you, I saw G.W to. Our queen is the the most beautiful queen in the world for sure. We all love her.

DiscusLoverJeff
06-30-2013, 09:14 AM
Our queen is the the most beautiful queen in the world for sure. We all love her.

+10000000 for sure!

timmyosgood
09-03-2014, 11:52 PM
hi sorry if this comes up in a wierd post but i contacted you yesterday about the endlers!! im tim was wondering if you could email a pic of them for me and how much$for how many fish? it would ship to danvers ma 01923 if you could im very interested my personal email is timmyosgood25@gmail.com thanks for your time hope to hear from you soon !!!