PDA

View Full Version : Can you say RED????

YSS
12-17-2010, 09:01 AM
Not sure anyone's seen this video, but my goodness, these are so red and nice. I want them really bad and I would pay a lot for them. Hans, Hudson?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZZSVluZdPE

Jennie
12-17-2010, 09:03 AM
These are wilds???

ZX10R
12-17-2010, 09:04 AM
I don't see any video link?

vera
12-17-2010, 09:19 AM
OMG !!! these are fab , wish to have a tank full of these!!!

Chad Adams
12-17-2010, 10:11 AM
Wow!!!!!

Eddie
12-17-2010, 10:24 AM
Seen this video before, they are very nice.

peterhql
12-17-2010, 12:06 PM
WOW, someone start selling these.

DiscusKev
12-17-2010, 12:10 PM
seen it too, those are definately really beautiful indeed.

kaceyo
12-17-2010, 03:46 PM
That doesn't look like a natural red color to me.

wendy9722
12-17-2010, 04:33 PM
Wow!!! They are totally stunning!!!! I would love to have a couple of those....
Good luck with them. Let me know if you are selling.
God bless,
Wendy

ZX10R
12-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Stupid work computer was blocking the video figured it out now. WOW those are amazing if they are wilds what kind are they?

Jaws
12-17-2010, 05:56 PM
Not sure anyone's seen this video, but my goodness, these are so red and nice. I want them really bad and I would pay a lot for them. Hans, Hudson?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZZSVluZdPE

I have one very similar to the one in the video.

peterhql
12-17-2010, 06:46 PM
those can't be wilds... can they....?

nc0gnet0
12-17-2010, 06:57 PM
They are stunners for sure, but I imagine the reason they are so brilliant red as they are in breeding mode and are somewhat duller anyother time.

hironobu
12-17-2010, 07:34 PM
those can't be wilds... can they....?

As noted in the video the male fish is an Alenquer North Cripura and the female is an Alenquer South Carananzal. Cuipura is famous of it's brilliant redness. This guy lives in Taiwan, average sale price for the fry is around $20. Not sure if he ships oversea though.

YSS
12-17-2010, 08:02 PM
As noted in the video the male fish is an Alenquer North Cripura and the female is an Alenquer South Carananzal. Cuipura is famous of it's brilliant redness. This guy lives in Taiwan, average sale price for the fry is around $20. Not sure if he ships oversea though.

I am not a grow-out kinda guy, but for these, I might actually think about setting up a grow out tank and grow them out. Only other exception is Dale's Solomons. Those, I would also think about growing out.

Jennie
12-17-2010, 08:40 PM
I've not seen wilds that red..I thought they were crossed with something domestic..

kent1963
12-17-2010, 09:04 PM
I saved this to my fav's the first time I saw it! Love those fish!

kaceyo
12-17-2010, 10:41 PM
They could be wilds with a bit of Carophyll Pink in their diet. It's the shade of red that makes me wonder, not just that they're solid red.

Jennie
12-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Yep, I wondered too the same thing.

Discus-Hans
12-18-2010, 12:02 AM
Here are some more Reds lol lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4KywiaNLCM

Hans

Jennie
12-18-2010, 12:13 AM
Hans, your thoughts? Color enhanced??

DiscusKev
12-18-2010, 12:26 AM
Their tail is almost transparent (clear) and I don't think it is HEAVILY colour enhanced (they still produce viable youngs). Just my opinion.

YSS
12-18-2010, 12:38 AM

Hans

Yes, I saw that one too. So, when is Hudson sending you red ones like these? I am in. :-)

Bosse
12-18-2010, 02:01 AM
I have got fish from Hudson three different times now. The fishes come from Cuipeuá and some of them look exactly like the ones on the pics shown here.
The discus on my Avatar is also wild without extra colourfood.

Discus-Hans
12-18-2010, 02:03 AM
Yes, I saw that one too. So, when is Hudson sending you red ones like these? I am in. :-)

CUIPEUA Tank 3 I've 3 left lol

Hans

Discus-Hans
12-18-2010, 02:04 AM
ha ha ha Bosse think we were typing at the same time lol lol

Hans

vera
12-18-2010, 06:04 AM

Hans

Hans , u have these from the video !!!??

Jennie
12-18-2010, 07:39 AM
Beautifu; Bosse, I never have thought them to be as red naturally..
I have got fish from Hudson three different times now. The fishes come from Cuipeuá and some of them look exactly like the ones on the pics shown here.
The discus on my Avatar is also wild without extra colourfood.

YSS
12-18-2010, 09:31 AM
ha ha ha Bosse think we were typing at the same time lol lol

Hans

Really? I don't remember seeing ones that red .... May be I need new glasses. :-)

nc0gnet0
12-18-2010, 02:55 PM
CUIPEUA Tank 3 I've 3 left lol

Hans

Hans,

I go to your store but can't find a CUIPEUA Tank 3....what am I missing?

Larry Bugg
12-18-2010, 04:24 PM
Not his store. His sponsor site here.

DiscusKev
12-18-2010, 04:58 PM
Hans,

Money and credit card :D

vera
12-18-2010, 05:47 PM
LOL

Discus-Hans
12-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Hans,

I didn't put them on the store yet, because I've 6 left and need to ship out 3, we always keep a few on hand for IF something goes wrong in shipping so I can replace if needed. After I took care of the 3 I've to ship out for the pre~order, the other 3 go up for sale.

Hans

YSS
12-18-2010, 11:38 PM
I didn't put them on the store yet, because I've 6 left and need to ship out 3, we always keep a few on hand for IF something goes wrong in shipping so I can replace if needed. After I took care of the 3 I've to ship out for the pre~order, the other 3 go up for sale.

Hans

Would they become that red?

Discus-Hans
12-19-2010, 03:55 AM
Would they become that red?

They are from the same area. You know with a lot of wilds you get them in and you think, crap what do I do with this?? A 3 months later you don't recognize that fish anymore.

If you use food like Sera pellets (or Tetra), food with axathantine (don't know 1, 2, 3 how to write it) will sure help to get them faster on color,

Hans

R1_Ridah
12-20-2010, 01:38 AM
Wow... very nice Reds. I really need a couple of intense RED like that in my tank.

Discus-Hans
12-20-2010, 02:12 AM
Wow... very nice Reds. I really need a couple of intense RED like that in my tank.

Joey, saw your movie, very,very nice tank. But I think 1 more Discus and the front of your tank will pop out lol lol

Hans

R1_Ridah
12-20-2010, 02:49 AM
Joey, saw your movie, very,very nice tank. But I think 1 more Discus and the front of your tank will pop out lol lol

Hans

lol...:p ... I was thinking I can still add like 2 more CUIPEUA's in there....

Old habits are just hard to break. It looks worst than what it is because they all swim to the face of the tank when I am near. But when you look at the sides, plenty of room :D

Prior to me getting into Discus I've kept a variety of PeacockBass specie. Had to take a break from the hobby about a year ago because of furlough at work. I'm barely getting my feet wet again back in the hobby. Before I fill up my fish room again, I always wanted a living room show tank. I figure what more beautiful than Discus. When I set up my 600 tank again it will be "ALL DISCUS" ... so i better start now with stocking...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2xbjACm7rU

Discus-Hans
12-20-2010, 03:07 AM
Joey, selling Discus is my job, but I think you are pushing the limits here.

It would scare me to sell you THE Discus that could be the drip in the famous bucket.

What kind of filter system do you have on your tank??

Hans

R1_Ridah
12-20-2010, 01:25 PM
Joey, selling Discus is my job, but I think you are pushing the limits here.

It would scare me to sell you THE Discus that could be the drip in the famous bucket.

What kind of filter system do you have on your tank??

Hans

My filtration consist of an FX5 and Eheim Pro Thermo canister filters. I'm a heavy believer in water turnover rate for my tanks. Anything less than 5 times turnover is un-acceptable to me. Is it overkill? perhaps but people wonder why my water is crystal clear. For media I use Biohome plus & ceramic rings. I just picked up a 35 gallon sump which I am going to incorporate into my set up. I'm planning on installing an autowater change system as I did for my 600. In addition, I have several sponge filters in the back of my background plugged into air pumps on an UPS system. Even if I loose power my air pumps will kick in with Bio already living in my sponge filters. In addition to the air stones I have in my tank. This would be the biggest threat to a heavily populated tank. Quick rise in ammonia/nitrate once power goes out and lack of O2. I also have a power generator just for my tank in case of a power lose for a lengthy period of time.

I'm accustomed to heavy bio-loads based on my experience with the previous fish's I've kept in the past. For anyone who's kept PBASS knows they produce heavy amounts of waste. Enough to quickly deteriorate water conditions if not kept properly. I understand my style of fish keeping is not for everyone nor would I suggest anyone to do the same. I'm new to Discus but not to the hobby. I'm open to criticism by anyone as I like to hear people's opinion. I don't expect everyone to like my tank nor the way I keep my fish.

The health and well being of my fish comes first. Now, people may say your tank is not big enough to house all those fish? .. No one in the hobby has a tank big enough to accommodate any fish once removed from the wild. Best thing we can do is care for them the best way we can. Provide water conditions the best way we can. Feed them the best variety of food the best way we can. If the fish are healthy and well taken care of why not? It comes down to filtration and how well established your bio is. Your bio has to be able to keep up with the amount of waste the fish produces in addition to whatever uneaten food may have been left over.

I know there are limits and know when enough is enough, I haven't reached enough yet, at least to my standards...=-P

Believe me, I've seen other hobbyists who has similar styles of fish keeping as I do and can't believe the kind of conditions the fish are in. When I reach the point of enough is when I simply upgrade to a bigger tank. Being in Los Angeles there are deals on big tanks all the time. So upgrading to a bigger tank is not an issue as it's quite accessible and affordable.

But as hobbyists we have to push the limit, think outside the box. Provided we don't jeopardize the health of our fish. There are several different types of fish keepers. Ones who live by test strips and chemicals to care for their fish and others who's old school and if the fish are swimming with great colors and eating, it's healthy. What works for me may not for you type of thing. Now, I'm far from being an expert nor as knowledgeable as you with Discus or a majority of the other great folks on this forum. But I'm the kind of person who likes to learn from life experience's rather than what you read in books (depends on which book). However, take in information from people who has more experience than I. Believe me the information you provide I take with great respect. One thing that irritates me however are people with no such experience giving advice of something they have no experience with what so ever. It's like the person who gives marriage advice but has never been married or advice on kids when they have non...lol

It's okay if you don't sell me fish based on your belief that I maybe jeopardizing the fish health. But I'm sure you've sold fish to people where conditions are probably far worst than what you may have seen in my set up. I could be mistaken but I'm sure from all your customers you haven't seen all their set ups and conditions they keep their fish in.

vera
12-20-2010, 02:16 PM

Hans

already told him to send me half LOL

Discus-Hans
12-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Hi Joey,

Your post, believe me, I 100% agree with you and NO I can't hold everybody's hand from the moment they buy a fish from me (and I'm not planning on lol lol lol)

But maybe you've noticed that I'm one of the few "Discus Pimps" here on the forum who not only come on the forum to sell my "stuff" but also try to give advice were needed, were I think it could be helpful and what time permits. Even if you never bought a Discus from me.

You, for sure got your tank "under control" and I like that. You NEVER can have to much filtration and it's never as much as the Amazon lol lol lol

Of course I want to sell Discus (that's my job lol) but if I see something nice as your tank and I think I've to say something, I will and even if I would loose a sale over it, I still will say what I think, some think it's arrogance, it's not, it's just because I care.

By the way, I see some open space in your tank, I think a 10 more would fill up those gaps lol lol (just kidding)

Again great looking tank and I think many would dream of a tank like that in their living room.

Hans

R1_Ridah
12-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Hi Joey,

Your post, believe me, I 100% agree with you and NO I can't hold everybody's hand from the moment they buy a fish from me (and I'm not planning on lol lol lol)

But maybe you've noticed that I'm one of the few "Discus Pimps" here on the forum who not only come on the forum to sell my "stuff" but also try to give advice were needed, were I think it could be helpful and what time permits. Even if you never bought a Discus from me.

You, for sure got your tank "under control" and I like that. You NEVER can have to much filtration and it's never as much as the Amazon lol lol lol

Of course I want to sell Discus (that's my job lol) but if I see something nice as your tank and I think I've to say something, I will and even if I would loose a sale over it, I still will say what I think, some think it's arrogance, it's not, it's just because I care.

By the way, I see some open space in your tank, I think a 10 more would fill up those gaps lol lol (just kidding)

Again great looking tank and I think many would dream of a tank like that in their living room.

Hans

Thanks Hans, and believe me I take criticism well as long as it's positive criticism with reasons to back it up. I just can't take people seriously who has no knowledge of what they preach. I'm a member on several forums and since getting into Discus I wanted to learn from people who actually keep and maintain Discus... reason I am here on the site. I want to read and learn and see what are people's thoughts on this side of the pond. Doesn't mean I will listen, but will consider....lol.... :p

I don't cry at sunsets so people can be open to say anything about my fish or set up as freely as they want. I wouldn't want anything less..

peterhql
12-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Thanks Hans, and believe me I take criticism well as long as it's positive criticism with reasons to back it up. I just can't take people seriously who has no knowledge of what they preach. I'm a member on several forums and since getting into Discus I wanted to learn from people who actually keep and maintain Discus... reason I am here on the site. I want to read and learn and see what are people's thoughts on this side of the pond. Doesn't mean I will listen, but will consider....lol.... :p

I don't cry at sunsets so people can be open to say anything about my fish or set up as freely as they want. I wouldn't want anything less..

Hi Joey, I stumbled upon your thread over at MFK last week and I couldn't help but think about how the people over here at Simply would react. I was wondering how many robots, I mean people, would just scream 1 per 10 gallons!!!!! I for one agree with you 100 percent. You are doing what you want and doing it the best you can. BTW, we are all jealous.

hekdiscus
12-21-2010, 09:48 AM
[
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuHldqJGW5c

YSS
12-21-2010, 10:49 AM
Hudson, you will have to send those to Hans quickly, especially the two in the front!

Larry Bugg
12-21-2010, 12:12 PM
Wow Hudson! I would definitely get in line and pay a premium for those!

R1_Ridah
12-22-2010, 02:26 PM
[

I've always had a thing for redheads..... I need more red in my tank.

R1_Ridah
12-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Hi Joey, I stumbled upon your thread over at MFK last week and I couldn't help but think about how the people over here at Simply would react. I was wondering how many robots, I mean people, would just scream 1 per 10 gallons!!!!! I for one agree with you 100 percent. You are doing what you want and doing it the best you can. BTW, we are all jealous.

Thanks.

Everyone's been great here at Simply. I've been greeted with open arms =-) I thought a lynch mob would be after me since posting pictures of my set up =-) ... If anyone's to be jealous it's me. So many folks around here has some out standing looking Discus and set ups. I've already got a few that I've booked mark that I'm following.

Speaking of being jealous. I had the opportunity of meeting a local hobbyist who owns a 1500+ gallon planted "WILD" Discus tank a couple of weekends ago. Talk about ENVY... my jaw just dropped to the floor. This hobbyist set up is by far the BEST, MOST INCREDIBLE, thought out HOME tank I have ever seen. Presumably better than many fresh water exhibits out there. He cut back on a few wilds so I had the opportunity to snatch a few up. i told him next time I visit I'll bring a sleeping bag so I can just camp out in front of his tank....lol...

Here's an old link a couple years back when it was published on Esquire 360 magazine's as top Aquaria... totally re-done from this picture... 100X better.

http://siite.com/esquirehouse360/index.html

click on Gallery > The Aquarium

hekdiscus
12-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Thanks.

Everyone's been great here at Simply. I've been greeted with open arms =-) I thought a lynch mob would be after me since posting pictures of my set up =-) ... If anyone's to be jealous it's me. So many folks around here has some out standing looking Discus and set ups. I've already got a few that I've booked mark that I'm following.

Speaking of being jealous. I had the opportunity of meeting a local hobbyist who owns a 1500+ gallon planted "WILD" Discus tank a couple of weekends ago. Talk about ENVY... my jaw just dropped to the floor. This hobbyist set up is by far the BEST, MOST INCREDIBLE, thought out HOME tank I have ever seen. Presumably better than many fresh water exhibits out there. He cut back on a few wilds so I had the opportunity to snatch a few up. i told him next time I visit I'll bring a sleeping bag so I can just camp out in front of his tank....lol...

Here's an old link a couple years back when it was published on Esquire 360 magazine's as top Aquaria... totally re-done from this picture... 100X better.

http://siite.com/esquirehouse360/index.html

click on Gallery > The Aquarium

Hi , i know this tank , i'm send the wilds to him in the last year , and i have a new order to send to him in January.
Mr Richard Sneider reserve 24 discus again.

Hudson

R1_Ridah
12-22-2010, 11:50 PM
Hi , i know this tank , i'm send the wilds to him in the last year , and i have a new order to send to him in January.
Mr Richard Sneider reserve 24 discus again.

Hudson

Mr.Hudson,

Yes, that is him =-) I bought a dozen Discus from him a few weekends ago. Probably making room for the new order.

His tank is amazing. It was an honor to be able to see this tank in person because of it's beauty. The combination of the live plants and fish inhabitants is unreal. Truly the amazon in his living room. I could not sleep for days just thinking of his tank...hahaha....

Heiko Bleher
12-24-2010, 08:42 PM
Hi guys,

Yes Richatrd came to me, before he started this aquarium and asked for my advice, and not only, he wanted to come with me on an Amazon expedition before and I took him.
and go to Rio Aracá - Brazil 2007
he is there under Riccardo, because Richard is actually from Mexico.

We had a great time together and he took my advice (and gave me all the credit in the Esquire 360° special issue), but at the end he placed "designer discus", as we call the colourful ones (Marlboro, Melon, etc.) until recently, when I visited him again last June and I told him that it will be much more beautiful with wilds and different decoration (including white sand according to their), which he than did and when he asked where to get the Discus I told to him, there is only one: Hudson and give him the address and contacted Hudson also to inform him. And he got them from Hudson. And actually asked me agiain a few weeks ago what to ad and told him, therefore Husdon is reserving those I told him, to ad... (Hudson forgot to mention that, where it all originates form – me...hahahaha).

So I am sure now it will really be nice. And I am happy people faollowing around the globe my advices also now in Discusbook01, everyone congratulates me and make their Wild Discus Aquarium accordingly and suddenly enjoy them 10-times more (and their fishes even more)...
Just have a look at some of their comments:

All the very best and again Merry Christmas to all of you,

always

Heiko

R1_Ridah
12-24-2010, 11:40 PM
Hello Mr.Bleher,

Yes, he showed me a few pictures of his trip when he visited you last. That was great advise for you to give him and to go with wilds. His tank is incredibly amazing with the wilds and the sand you suggested. The tank looks totally different than how it appeared in the 360 magazine. It's 100X better. The balance between plants and fish is just incredible.:thumbsup:

Discus-Hans
12-25-2010, 03:14 AM
Hi guys,

Yes Richard came to me, before he started this aquarium and asked for my advice, and not only, he wanted to come with me on an Amazon expedition before and I took him.
Heiko
www.aquapress-bleher.com

Heiko didn't you meet Richard for the first time in 2006 in Chicago????

Hans

Ed13
12-25-2010, 09:05 AM
[
If I had acces and resources for wilds like that, I'd dump all of my domestics and probably any other fish keeping.....

okay, that and some blue moon heckels....

maybe some wild fully spotted RSG :p

hekdiscus
12-26-2010, 11:54 AM
Hello friend Heiko.

Its is true, it was you that indicated me Richard.
and with certainty he liked the indication and of Discus, and now he will make the second request slant of Hans for His wonderful tank.
I am also suspicious to affirm, but a Tank with wilds is 10X more beautiful than with domestic discus, this is my opinion respecting all.
Actually it is More original

Best regards

Hudson

Heiko Bleher
12-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Hi Ridah, Hans and Hudson,

hope you all had a couple of nice days and the Christmas duck (what we eat) was as good as the one Natasha prepared and Amanda liked it also (with 5.5 month... becoming a wild carnivorous maid).

Yes Ridah, I agree with you and I am happy that you as me (and Hudson) is 100x better nature-like aquarium with wilds... thanks. And hope you liked also my biotopes in Discusbook01 (6 of them in detail of wilds and one tank breeds - still nature like).

Yes Hans you are correct, I meet him the first time at the Chicago ACA, thanks again for giving me space for the books... i hope you also had a great (European-like) Christmas. You know we still use real candles, with real light and real Christmas tree... No plastic allowed in the house.

Hudson hope you are getting sleep, thanks for the confirmation, I will place photos in volume 2 of Richards tank (he send me), with passed and present (your wilds).
Don't forget to send me your photos for Discusbook02.

You all have a great, or better fantastic, New Year, with lots of health and beautiful fishes...

always

Heiko
Some wishes to you all on my site.

Thankk

Discus-Hans
12-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Yes Richard came to me, before he started this aquarium and asked for my advice,
Heiko

Yes Hans you are correct, I meet him the first time at the Chicago ACA, thanks again for giving me space for the books...
Heiko

I was a little confused because you said you helped him with setting up that tank, but Richard came special to that show in 2006 to fill up the tank with Discus we had in the show. And you met him in the Discus room I had at the ACA in Chicago were I gave you a table to sell your books. At that moment the tank was ready for Discus already. I told (almost begged) Richard from the beginning to fill that tank with Wilds, even if I would have lost that sale. I'm glad he finally went to the "wild side"

Hans

BobB
12-30-2010, 03:10 PM
So my interest is about to explode!

A couple of questions

1 Where to buy wild discus
2 Best Selection
3 Tap or RO water (Mn. Concrete Ha)
4 Canister and sponge filter
5 3 ft by 18in by 24in Bigger tank in near future!

Larry Bugg
12-30-2010, 03:42 PM
1. Your best source is two of the sponsors here. Discus Hans or Snookin21.
2. Both have excellent selections if that is what you are asking.
3. Concrete - Probably RO. Tap is ideal here.
4. My preference is Sponge but it also depends on your setup.
5. A 40 Breeder is a little small. I thing a 55 is minimun but not ideal. Discus should be kept in groups. They are a very social fish. At least 5. The rule of thumb is 10 gallons for 1 adult so a group of 5 adults would require 50 gallons.