PDA

View Full Version : looking to make the switch to discus

damtrees
12-17-2010, 12:56 PM
so i have a 150 gal running with 2 fx5 running on it with just bio meida in it now i can tell this will be way to much flow im just wondering if i could just get away with making lots of out takes spreading out the flow and is there anything i should be running in the filters other then bio and lots of water changes please and thanks as well same water and filters will be going in to a 240 if that makes a diffrince

Chad Hughes
12-17-2010, 01:13 PM
I would reduce the filtration to one FX5. That's a lot of flow for a 150. In the 240, use them both.

Bio media is all you need. Discus tanks are way too clean (frequent water changes) for the use of any other filter media.

If you are not using any type of air in the tank, position the returns from the FX5 such that they break the waters surface. You want surface agitation to promote gas exchange. Discus are huge O2 consumers.

I would recommend plumbing your FX5 in such a manner that you can use the filter to pump out the tank. That's a lot of water to change and there's nothing worse than waiting for a siphon to draw down 100+ gallons of water. An inline "T", a valve and a hose bib will make quick work of draining the tank. If you can hard plumb it to a drain, even better!

Hope that helps!

damtrees
12-20-2010, 04:33 PM
thanks i alreay have it set up with them both plumed to a drain for easy w/c i would like to keep using both as more is always better and would like to have them both ready to go and esablished when i finnish making the 240 tank on another note if there was going to be lots of movment in the water i would want it from one side or anothere curritly i have them set up with a intake in each corner and the two intakes on each side of the center brace flowing out the sides of the fx5 fittings but thining of swithching that and just have a really big spray/defuzer bar running on each side of the tank