PDA

View Full Version : do i need anything else for the tank?

bon243
12-19-2010, 07:10 PM
i have a 55 and im going to get:
2 filters
1 heater
decorations
food (see otehr thread)
medications
conditinors
aquariam top
seems like a short list, so am i forgeting anything?

Eddie
12-19-2010, 07:15 PM
Depends on what you plan to do with the tank. Is it a display tank? Why the decorations, the fish are the decorations. LOL

Don't you have a tank already? What makes you think you need anything different?

Oh and medications? For what?

bon243
12-19-2010, 07:34 PM
i meant like a potted plant
dont know disucs are sensitive (and yes i ahve 3 tanks up right now)
nothing just incase they catch something

Eddie
12-19-2010, 07:36 PM
You can wear a helmet too, just in case you fall. LOL Just kidding

vera
12-19-2010, 08:12 PM
You can wear a helmet too, just in case you fall. LOL Just kidding

LOL

fishorama
12-19-2010, 08:14 PM
I would skip the decorations too if you are growing out juvies. It's just another poo catching/hiding place you don't need. A gravel vac/Python is good, filtration is important, either hob or sponges or a combo.

Jhhnn
12-19-2010, 08:48 PM
Thermometer! I like the ATI stick-ons from Kensfish...

fishorama
12-19-2010, 09:14 PM
^good 1 Jhhnn!

wendy9722
12-20-2010, 04:56 AM
If you need to age your water dont for get the trash can or whatever plus a heater and air pump for circulation. If its not cycled dont be in a hurry to put discus in it. Try the fishless cycle or if daring enought to do it with fish dont forget the Prime. Its a lot safer and less heart breaking with out the fish. Imo a second heater is best to have. If one should fail or accidently get unplugged. Its happened to me very recent. Darn cats!!!! LOL

Jhhnn
12-20-2010, 09:49 AM
If you need to age your water dont for get the trash can or whatever plus a heater and air pump for circulation. If its not cycled dont be in a hurry to put discus in it. Try the fishless cycle or if daring enought to do it with fish dont forget the Prime. Its a lot safer and less heart breaking with out the fish. Imo a second heater is best to have. If one should fail or accidently get unplugged. Its happened to me very recent. Darn cats!!!! LOL

Cycling is mandatory, unless you have spare sponge filters running in a healthy tank. Aged water is good, although some seem to do OK w/o it. Some like 2 heaters, I use single Jagers plugged into controllers, except when I need more wattage. Having a *spare* heater, calibrated and ready to go, is always a good idea. Good ones, Jagers, are hard to find locally, particularly after hours, and fetch almost twice what I pay from Ken. Even though I've gone to a central air pump, I still have some small ones tucked away, just in case.

Just because something goes wrong doesn't mean it has to be a Chicken Little emergency. Stuff breaks, wears out- plan on it.

bon243
12-20-2010, 01:46 PM
hey guys i have all the sruff you just mentioned except a secind heater and a sponge filter...so why do you need a sponge filter? actually waht is that?

Eddie
12-20-2010, 01:52 PM
You don't need a sponge filter at all and with a good heater, you only need one.

Jhhnn
12-20-2010, 08:01 PM
You don't need a sponge filter at all and with a good heater, you only need one.

Eddie's right, of course.

Sponge filters look like this-

http://www.atisponge.com/Products/HydroSponge/tabid/77/Default.aspx

They're powered by an air pump. The bubble column draws water through the sponge, promoting the growth of beneficial bacteria. Widely used in hatcheries and by discus enthusiasts in BB tanks. One of the nice things about them is that they're good for seeding new tanks, if you have truly healthy tanks to borrow them from. Some don't believe in that, prefer to cycle new tanks w/o transferring filter media...

bon243
12-21-2010, 12:31 PM
ok thanks guys!

bon243
01-30-2011, 02:12 PM
ok, i have it all set up, but i only have 1 filter in it, would that be ok still? its for 100 gallon tanks, and i have a 55.

vera
01-30-2011, 02:21 PM
Is it a canister filter ?how many fish are u planning to put in

AngryBird
01-30-2011, 11:46 PM
"lot of your time"

ericatdallas
01-30-2011, 11:57 PM
i have a 55 and im going to get:
2 filters
1 heater
decorations
food (see otehr thread)
medications
conditinors
aquariam top
seems like a short list, so am i forgeting anything?

Just to cover all the bases, make sure you get the appropriate heater. For 55G you should go for a 250-300W heater. If you already own one and it's less than that you should go for a second. Depending on where you live and what your ambient temperature you could get away with less but the incremental cost in the upgrade is worth the piece of mind (IMHO).

And if we're being complete...

Nets (get at least two, one helps to herd the fish).
A gravel vacuum and other water changing stuff (buckets or python or both)
Water test kit
air pump
air stone
air tubes
Power strip, preferably with timer.
At least a light so you can see you fish - else, what's the point.

I also suggest a sponge filter. Once you have one aquarium you'll want to start another one and these help.

A quarantine tank (20G+) would be awesome too :)

champak
01-31-2011, 12:35 AM
And one of the most important thing you forgot *fishes* lol. see nobody suggested you this.

bon243
02-04-2011, 08:11 PM
its a canistar, and theres probablyy only going to be 6 discus plus 2 german rams
also, do i need all that air equipment?

William Palumbo
02-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Where you been bon?...Bill

ericatdallas
02-05-2011, 03:45 AM
its a canistar, and theres probablyy only going to be 6 discus plus 2 german rams
also, do i need all that air equipment?

Probably not... you could also position the output of your canister filter to agitate the surface of the water which will help with getting your fish air.

But why skimp? A cheap air pump with associated tubing/stones probably cost $10 and goes up depending on the output you want.

You also need it for your sponge filter if you decide to go that route.

bon243
02-05-2011, 01:15 PM
i havent been on for a little becuase i had enough info and i was just waiting for my tank to set up. How long till' the discus get to a good size?

bon243
02-05-2011, 01:15 PM
and yes. i will probably get a cheap air pump if i can find one

vera
02-05-2011, 02:08 PM
most of us keep a sponge filter or air stone together with canister filter to supply water with O2 and additional filtration
what size Discus are u getting

ericatdallas
02-05-2011, 03:13 PM
and yes. i will probably get a cheap air pump if i can find one

I bought mine on eBay. I was worried it would be loud but it wasn't.

I bought the MillionAir MA-600. It's rated for 60G+ but it supplies two 75G tanks for me. The reviews online (in other forums) say it's loud so I might be deaf. The brand name ones aren't too much more expensive.

bon243
02-05-2011, 08:12 PM
if i do find i cheap one, i might
Eddie said you dont need a sponge filter
im getting juvies