PDA

View Full Version : PVC glues affect on fish

luckyfind
12-21-2010, 01:11 PM
I would like to add a line and valve in my storage tank so I can circulate the water with the in tank pump. My question is is it safe to cut and glue in a new T and use the water to fill tanks in the same day or does it have to cure for a certain length of time?

DerekFF
12-21-2010, 01:29 PM
pvc glue dries so fast its almost hard to use normally. Im pretty sure you give it an hour or 2 and itll be fine. Hairdryer speeds it up too.

Chad Hughes
12-21-2010, 01:31 PM
There is no affect of PVC glue on your water. Make sure the joint is free from water before you make the bond and wait about 15 minutes for the bond to become firm. I've done this a few hundred times. No problems!

Best wishes!

Dkarc@Aol.com
12-21-2010, 08:53 PM
There is no affect of PVC glue on your water. Make sure the joint is free from water before you make the bond and wait about 15 minutes for the bond to become firm. I've done this a few hundred times. No problems!

Best wishes!

Ditto. Biggest issue you will have is if you dont dry the areas to be joined properly, they will create a weak joint. Make sure the new fitting you are gluing in, as well as the pipe, is bone dry before gluing together.

-Ryan

luckyfind
12-21-2010, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have 3 tanks of Dale Jordans growouts here and did not want to mess up.
I will make the addition of valve and Tee after making sure the pieces to be glued are dry.
Seasons Greetings
Laurence

Altum Nut
12-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Hey Lawrence,

I'm not sure your question was answered.
I would really be concerned about toxins from glue if you don't allow for the proper curing time.
When your joint is glued, it forms a bubble like area inside pipe which will take longer to cure. Allow for an open end so air can circulate. I would not take a chance and make connection before bed-time and it should be ready to go in the morning.
Just my 2 cents buddy,

...Ralph

luckyfind
12-22-2010, 09:18 PM
Point taken Ralph. That is just what I did. I did my last wc for today,cut and dried the joints,glued together and will wait till morning before using.

flyman767
12-23-2010, 05:10 PM
AS OTHERS HAVE SAID...PVC GLUE IS PERFECTLY SAFE AS LONG AS YOU HAVE MADE SURE THE GLUE IS FULLY CURED. HOWEVER, ANOTHER IMPORTANT STEP IS TO MAKE SURE YOU FLUSH THE PIPE(S) WITH PLENTY OF FRESH CLEAN WATER UNTIL THE 'SMELL' OF THE GLUE IS NO LONGER PRESENT.

Darrell Ward
12-24-2010, 03:20 AM
For future reference, you can use "Rain or Shine" PVC solvent in the can with the light blue label without waiting for it to cure. We just call it "blue glue" around here. You can get it at Lowe's and other hardware outlets. It's blue, and super quick setting. Very handy when you need to change some PVC pipe fittings around in a hurry. We've used it for many years on aquarium plumbing with zero problems, so no worries.