PDA

View Full Version : Discus from my LFS.

Discus_1
12-21-2010, 11:57 PM
Sooo, i went to the LFS to pick up a plec. and they still have 1 discus left, and its actually not that bad. nice shape , 3" or so, but it bars are attached at the top with some of them . shouldn't that be culled? , it was a very nice little blue turq though :)

truc_tuyen
12-22-2010, 12:12 AM
run away as fast as you can

Second Hand Pat
12-22-2010, 12:15 AM
There is a whole thread on broken bars with differing opinions on culling.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?84330-Broken-Bars&highlight=broken+bars

Discus_1
12-22-2010, 12:20 AM
LOL , run away ? Why D:? And thanks for the thread i ll check it out :)

Altum Nut
12-22-2010, 08:41 AM
What do you mean???????
Here is a pic of a Blue Turk. http://www.aquariumhobbyist.com/discus/strains/pages/blueturquoise.html

...Ralph

Discus_1
12-22-2010, 01:23 PM
Thats a nice pic. =) this guy had pretty nice color to for just a little guy. . But he's pretty pricey . there asking $50 for him . 3" But im thinking he'd be a good beginner discus for me , even my parents liked him ALOT. LOL

PAR23
12-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Thats a nice pic. =) this guy had pretty nice color to for just a little guy. . But he's pretty pricey . there asking $50 for him . 3" But im thinking he'd be a good beginner discus for me , even my parents liked him ALOT. LOL

I use to think that the "top breeders and sellers" sold their stock at a higer price.......The truth is, with much higher quality discus they are often sold much cheaper than what you'll find at your LFS. My LFS was selling oval shaped BSS 4" for $98....Now that's pricey..

inmisawa
12-22-2010, 04:16 PM
I bet you could find competative pricing from a breeder, but if you like it I would try to talk the LFS down to $40. The worst that could happen is they'll say no.

Discus_1
12-22-2010, 08:56 PM
What would i say to lower the price though?

And there are no breeder that ive found around my area so far. that i could get ahold of.

hironobu
12-22-2010, 09:11 PM
Canada is not really discus friendly... even in BC and Ontario which has the two largest aquarists population good discus are still hard to come by. We import mostly second and third tier quality stuff. Unless you buy straight from South America.

p.s. we do have some nice asian stock thanks to the Asian connections but as far as wilds are concerned we're definitely left out in the cold. :(

What would i say to lower the price though?

And there are no breeder that ive found around my area so far. that i could get ahold of.

Discus_1
12-22-2010, 09:13 PM
Would you be able to ship to medicine hat alberta ? if you can , p.m. me the strains .

hironobu
12-22-2010, 09:30 PM
Sorry I'm just a local breeder. Check out Dale Jordan from Winnipeg at http://dalejordanhatcheries.ca/ or April Ross from Vancouver at http://www.aprilsaquarium.com/ Good luck and happy shopping.

Discus_1
12-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Oh ok xD ive talked to them both im pretty sure, but thanks :) (y)

Discus_1
12-22-2010, 10:24 PM
And how would i be able to try to lower the price of that discus at my LFS ?

Jennie
12-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Hey Garret, I doubt you will be able to. The store owner is in business to make money , not break even.. and as you know discus do better in groups, so one discus won't thrive as well, unless of course you've talked your parents into getting you a few more to accompany the single one???

inmisawa
12-22-2010, 11:28 PM
Well that's a pessimistic way to look at it. I always ask for a discount or if there is a discount available on the high end items I buy. I don't always get them but once in a while I do and I get a great deal. For example, when I was looking for a new watch I negotiated the price with the sales manager and I was able to get her to knock off $250. Depending on the shop, I'm sometimes able to get them to knock off a few dollars here and there for some cheaper things as well.

A smart shop owner/manager looks at some deals as the potential for future business, so they're a little more willing to work with you early on. If it was me, I'd talk to a manager or supervisor and tell them you're getting into discus and you'd like to buy the one they have to start off with. Then I'd explain how much you really admire the fish but that $50 is more than you can afford and then see if they would be willing to come down to whatever you can afford. Keep in mind they're not going to knock something like $25 off. The worst case scenario, they'll just say they can't do it and all you've lost is a few minutes of your time. Whatever you decide, I wish you luck!

Discus_1
12-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Yup they said i could get a group of discus . Ive talked to the manager before and hes pretty nice. and i would probably only be able to get one right now. but i do know hes ordering some soon , because thats the only one left.

Altum Nut
12-23-2010, 12:52 PM
Remember, the only advise I can offer is...this may be a one time shot with your parents.
Make sure your LFS has the new shipment settled in and quarantined. Ask to have them fed in front of you so you can see for yourself how active they are.
I know the excitement you must feel but you may not have a second chance with your parents.

Good luck,
...Ralph

Discus_1
12-23-2010, 01:53 PM
yeah , thats what i was thinking too , . I dont think they quarantined. Usually he acclimates them and then throws em in with the severums. I will definitly ask him to feed them though. i was going to be quarantining them in my 27g and maybe let them grow out in there for abit also. would that be alirght for 3"?

Jennie
12-23-2010, 03:37 PM
If your parents said yes to discus, then get them from April! THEN you know they are healthy, quarantined and acclimated!~

lpiasente
12-23-2010, 04:01 PM
The discus in your avtar is stunning. Do you have a better pic? I want to see it :)

Discus_1
12-23-2010, 05:16 PM
i wish i had one too, but i just ogt it off of google. sorry D:

And i have bugged them about geting from april. my dad doesnt really mind the idea. my mom doesn't believe me that they ship fish though xD LOL

Jennie
12-23-2010, 07:38 PM
I've all my fish shipped... no worries tell her.(unless package lost) which is rare I believe

Discus_1
12-24-2010, 12:59 AM
eah , I just dont think she trust people that sell things online either, because i dont think she's ever boughten anything offline, but ill try to talk with her and see what happens:)

April
12-24-2010, 06:08 PM
I have
A
Big
Sale right now but believe
All will be gone by end of next week. If not and I have some left I can give you a great deal . But of course there's shipping imvolved. The other option is tell me the name if your petshop and I contact them for selling wholesale to them for discus and other fish.

Another person you can check out is don gross I'm red deer. He breeds . He has good stock

Discus_1
12-24-2010, 08:31 PM
Thanks April ! The LFS in medicine hat i usually go to is called "Animal world". Heres the link to there website http://www.animal-world.ca/ . the manager will need tips on how to quaratine them also , if you contact them for me, THANKYOU APRIL YOUR THE BEST!