PDA

View Full Version : The Hand Cream Thread?

SNap0283
12-22-2010, 07:34 PM
So winter is upon us and the dry weather is here, while i lathered up in moisturizer after a hot shower it crossed my mind, how good is that for my fish?

Do any of you worry about the creams and lotions you use maybe even hours before you clean your tanks? How well do you worry about washing them off your hands before they go into your tank, even for something as quick as feeding the fish? Just curious what everyone else does and if its even something to worry about.

Anyone?

ZX10R
12-22-2010, 07:47 PM
I don't take any chances I wash my hands anytime they will be coming in contact with my tanks. I had a few problems and lost a fish a few months back from what I believe to be cross contamination between tanks. It had nothing to do with hand lotion but it scared me enough I wash my hands like crazy now. Which is good but between that and the weather it has caused my hands to get really dry so I am using hand lotion a lot more then normal.

Oh and I know you beat my team but I have to do it DA BEARS!!!!!

Second Hand Pat
12-22-2010, 07:53 PM
Me too, wash my hands every time before placing them into the water. This also includes anything that goes into the water. Also wash between tanks. No exceptions.

William Palumbo
12-22-2010, 07:55 PM
That's OK, Da Bears redeemed themselves last Monday...But seriously...what's more important, dry skin, or healthy Discus? Moisturizers and lotions? Man up!...That could be money spent on BeefHeart and Prime!...LOL...Seriously, I would be cautious and maybe wear rubber/nitrile gloves just in case...Bill

Jennie
12-22-2010, 08:05 PM
Da Bears, Da Bulls.:)
I don't take any chances I wash my hands anytime they will be coming in contact with my tanks. I had a few problems and lost a fish a few months back from what I believe to be cross contamination between tanks. It had nothing to do with hand lotion but it scared me enough I wash my hands like crazy now. Which is good but between that and the weather it has caused my hands to get really dry so I am using hand lotion a lot more then normal.

Oh and I know you beat my team but I have to do it DA BEARS!!!!!

nc0gnet0
12-22-2010, 08:28 PM
You mean the 9-5 bears ;)

LizStreithorst
12-22-2010, 08:29 PM
I never use the stuff. I guess I have good skin,but then I live in the south where it doesn't get dreadfully cold. If I used it I would be careful to wash well before I stuck my hands into the tank. These chemicals are not something that fish should be exposed to.

Dave B
12-22-2010, 10:06 PM
I'm with Bill - might as well ask if I wear makeup!

Kidding... but I've never put too much thought into it. Recently I reached far enough into my tank that afterwards I realized I might've gotten some deodorant in there. Nothing bad came of it. I'll be conscious of it going forward, of course, but it gives me a bit of confidence that I don't have to be 100% perfect.

Jennie
12-23-2010, 08:12 AM
Best practice is to wash hands always, make it a habit..if that fails, just use sticky notes like Bill does...right Bill? :P

nc0gnet0
12-23-2010, 08:45 AM
Spray bottle with hydrogen peroxide, paper towels, call it good.

William Palumbo
12-23-2010, 11:44 AM
LOL Jen...I'm running out of sticky notes...most times forget to make them or too lazy too! Good tip on the Peroxide tho. I might have to try that...Bill

fishorama
12-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Geez, I'd rather have dry skin than dead fish but I'm not quite to the "no deoderant" depth tank, lol. If I've recently used any lotion etc I do a surgical-type scrub that kinda defeats the purpose...I shower first if want to "product up" later, a rare occurance for me...but I use deodorant...something new to worry about, lol...Bug spray---forgedaboutit!!!

Darrell Ward
12-25-2010, 03:07 PM
I'd say you would have to be using some pretty toxic stuff on your hands to be able to put enough chemicals in your tank to harm the fish from just sticking your hands inside. Think about it. The tiny, tiny amount of substance that may transfer from your hands to the tank water is going to be diluted by 50, 150, or how ever many gals. that are in the tank. It's not like you are putting ounces of the stuff in it. I agree it's probably a good idea to wash your hands before and after playing in the tank, but primarily because of bacteria, and not so much from tiny remnants of lotion or whatever that may come off.

Eddie
12-25-2010, 04:48 PM
I'd say you would have to be using some pretty toxic stuff on your hands to be able to put enough chemicals in your tank to harm the fish from just sticking your hands inside. Think about it. The tiny, tiny amount of substance that may transfer from your hands to the tank water is going to be diluted by 50, 150, or how ever many gals. that are in the tank. It's not like you are putting ounces of the stuff in it. I agree it's probably a good idea to wash your hands before and after playing in the tank, but primarily because of bacteria, and not so much from tiny remnants of lotion or whatever that may come off.

I dont know Darrell, over the years I've seen plenty of posts of peoples fish dying just from someone not washing their hands after applying a hand moisturizer. Also from people not rinsing their hands enough after washing with soap. :antlers:

Darrell Ward
12-25-2010, 07:51 PM
Heck, I usually wash my hands after working in the tanks honestly, a habit started over 40 years ago when all I raised was guppies. I never had a problem with it. I don't have dry skin, so I don't generally use lotions, or hand creams either in all fairness. I've seen people wear rubber gloves up to the shoulders when working in tanks. I think maybe sometimes people jump to conclusions as to why a fish dies, and become paranoid about certain things, especially when it comes to discus. I have no idea what other people put on their hands, so their mileage may vary.:antlers: I'm just saying I don't see a need based on my experience to be paranoid about it. However, it's still a good idea, especially after working in a tank, or when switching between tanks. I've heard a few people have caught bacterial infections from fish tanks. Nasty!

wendy9722
12-26-2010, 03:56 PM
I always wash my hands from any kind of contact with anything. Especially with having young kids around and having dry skin. After touching shopping carts, door knobs, toilet handles, etc. Its best to wash, wash, wash!!!! I don't want germs or chemicals in my tanks of any sort. If its just to grab something quick get those extended handy gripper things with suction cups on the ends that they offer for old people :) or shorter armed people. Put in grabber on ebay and you will know what I am talking about. I'm getting one so I don't get bit again!!!
Happy Holidays Everyone!!!!

Darrell Ward
12-26-2010, 05:02 PM
I always wash my hands from any kind of contact with anything. Especially with having young kids around and having dry skin. After touching shopping carts, door knobs, toilet handles, etc. Its best to wash, wash, wash!!!! I don't want germs or chemicals in my tanks of any sort. If its just to grab something quick get those extended handy gripper things with suction cups on the ends that they offer for old people :) or shorter armed people. Put in grabber on ebay and you will know what I am talking about. I'm getting one so I don't get bit again!!!
Happy Holidays Everyone!!!!

Yeah, I have a couple of those grippers I use on my 30" deep tanks. On the stand, these tanks are a little over 6' tall, so these come in handy.