PDA

View Full Version : Starting My setup

kuskus78
12-24-2010, 04:00 PM
I'm setting up a 120gal acrylic tank, 60"Lx18"Dx24"T. I have good ideas on where I'm heading with everything but the lights. Can't decide on what to do and every time i start leaning one way someone turns me in a different direction. What do you think is the best based on:
Bringing the colors out of the Discus, Plants, Natural Looking, Bright but not so much they get a tan.

Please give as much info and explanation as possible. Thanks John

Also do you run a UV sterilizer?

jimg
12-24-2010, 05:15 PM
IMO uv is a waste of money in an aquarium people use them trying to band aid a problem which rarely works.Their place is outdoors in a sunlight pond with algae.
I Like and use t5 tek light 4-54w. I have two of them. one I use 2 spectra lux 6500k and 2 aqua medic plant grow bulbs which I like the best for med to high light plants and discus color, on the the other I have 4 aqua medic plant grow. I switched to all low light plants and just use 2 of the 4 bulbs which works,looks fine. The best imo for fish color is the regular t8? colormax. i have mostly anubias but if you look in my albums I will put a pic (day or 2) of a medium light plant tank with using only 2 of the 4 bulbs also. once the plants were established I stopped ferts and used only 2 bulbs