View Full Version : hard local water...what should I do?

vss
12-29-2010, 07:45 AM
I just received my local water report, and the water seems to get worse and worse...now the hardness is 400+ ppm on average, and can go beyond 600 ppm sometimes. I'm about to start keeping discus again, and this kind of hardness makes me a little upset. Do you think R/O units would be needed to raise the discus well? At this point I have no plan for breeding. Thanks.

-Xiaofei :)

William Palumbo
12-29-2010, 10:05 AM
I would say for raising Discus you should be fine. Get the RO when you start to breed...you'll need it for sure then...Bill

vss
12-31-2010, 10:09 AM
Good to hear Bill. Thanks!

scottthomas
12-31-2010, 06:48 PM
Did you move or did your water change that much? I remeber you had grown the best discus I have ever seen. I wish I could have bought that RGD from you.

Eddie
01-01-2011, 02:15 AM
Did you move or did your water change that much? I remeber you had grown the best discus I have ever seen. I wish I could have bought that RGD from you.

I agree, roll with what you got, your water is more than perfect! In fact, I wish I had your water.

vss
01-01-2011, 03:02 AM
Thanks Scott and Eddie. :) The water parameter changes with time, and this year there is about 100 ppm increase in hardness compared with last year. It's already very hard previously. I had to clean the water stain on the tank wall using a razor blade once a week in order to keep the fish visible in the tank:( sounds rediculous but no kidding. Not sure if the hardness contributes to the color and growth or not, but it did take quite a while for the new fish to fully settle in. Now as I don't need the RO, I'll save it for a couple of new fish then :D

Jason K.
01-01-2011, 11:02 AM
and i thought i had hard water at 200 ppm+, as long as it's stable your golden...