PDA

View Full Version : FINNEX Titanium Heater?

vss
12-31-2010, 10:09 AM
I've had enough with Marineland:angry:, and need a new heater for my 55 gallon. found the FINNEX titanium heater w/ external controller on Ken's website, and it sounds pretty good to me. does anybody have experience with this heater and is it a reliable one? Or is there any other good brands to recommend? Thanks a lot!!

-Xiaofei :)

mlov1022
12-31-2010, 10:29 AM
I had 2 of them, both of them stopped performing. The controllers stuck on, heating the tank to 91. Switched to Jagers and all has been good for about 1yr now.

PAR23
12-31-2010, 10:34 AM
Call Ken. He and I were discussing another topic when he mentioned his experiences with heater performances in passing. Just can't recall what he had recommended. I do remember that he was starting to see some issues with the Jagers ever since production moved out of Germany. Just call him, very nice person to speak to.

William Palumbo
12-31-2010, 10:40 AM
The last order of heaters I got from Ken, were some cheaper VIA-AQUAS...Which I had bought more of them. I had to conquer the fear of spending less for a heater, but I'm glad I did...Bill

PAR23
12-31-2010, 10:47 AM
The last order of heaters I got from Ken, were some cheaper VIA-AQUAS...Which I had bought more of them. I had to conquer the fear of spending less for a heater, but I'm glad I did...Bill

I think it was the Via-Aquas he had recommended to me during our conversation. Scary how it has become trial and error for some of the equiments we use to keep fish which at times may cost mucho $$$$$$$$$.....

William Palumbo
12-31-2010, 10:56 AM
True Peter, it is scary. But because I needed more than most hobbyist, $$$ is always a deciding factor. But so far knock on wood not a single problem for about a year now. Some brands crap out in 3 months or less...Bill

hedut
12-31-2010, 11:05 AM
Thanks guys, this good thread I just looking to buy couple heater, marineland that I bought not even could get more than 86:( and now winter could only 83 in my 20 gln even though it was 200 watt

vss
12-31-2010, 11:12 AM
Thanks buddies for the inputs.The one I have in my water aging tank is also a VIA AQUA just because it's cheap. it's been working quite well in the past year. I'd have been confident enough to use it in my discus tank if they double its price lol. Good to know it's been recommended by Ken as well and is working well elsewhere. I'll order a couple of this for sure.

-Xiaofei:)

PAR23
12-31-2010, 11:15 AM
Thanks guys, this good thread I just looking to buy couple heater, marineland that I bought not even could get more than 86:( and now winter could only 83 in my 20 gln even though it was 200 watt

Yeah.....My Marineland...lasted 4 months:mad:...awaiting for my replacement but don't plan on using it....Only as backup/emergency.

I had it in my adult tank......Fish I paid thousands for. Fortunately I had 2 heaters in there.

vss
12-31-2010, 11:21 AM
Yeah.....My Marineland...lasted 4 months:mad:...awaiting for my replacement but don't plan on using it....Only as backup/emergency.

I had it in my adult tank......Fish I paid thousands for. Fortunately I had 2 heaters in there.

that's exactly my experience with my first marineland...the 2nd one I had led to +-6 F fluctuation over the day, and the 3rd one was functional with temperature control, but has electrical leakage...every time I dipped my finger into the tank, I can feel the electric current, and it hurts.

PAR23
12-31-2010, 11:42 AM
that's exactly my experience with my first marineland...the 2nd one I had led to +-6 F fluctuation over the day, and the 3rd one was functional with temperature control, but has electrical leakage...every time I dipped my finger into the tank, I can feel the electric current, and it hurts.

That will "charge" you up.....:D

Ardan
12-31-2010, 11:47 AM
I have had fairly good luck with the stealth heaters. I think 2 stuck on when lightning hit and caused a massive power surge. They have them at petsmart (link at the top of page). I also have some via aquas which have held up well (only one has failed so far out of 3or 4?). I also have some Won Pro Heat I think 2 of 5 have failed over some yrs of use off and on. (lightning)
On my discus tanks I have been backing them up with a heater controller from Jehmco, kind of expensive, but so are big discus.
The heater controller will not do anything if the heater cuts out, but protects against the heater sticking on.
I also have some old glass tube supreme heaters, those really were good, but hard to adjust precisely.
hth
Ardan

mlov1022
12-31-2010, 12:24 PM
These look interesting, anyone try these: http://www.kensfish.com/finnexdigitalglassheaters.html

nc0gnet0
12-31-2010, 01:59 PM
I have two of the finnex 500 watt titanium heaters. They work, but I can't personally recomend them as there controllers are far from accurate and still have alot of fluctuation. I do also have one of thier titanium probes, which are made to run off of a external controller.

I have posted this many times before, but I can't say enough good things about the digital controllers I have been getting of of ebay for under 30 bucks shipped. I have 7 of them and would stack them up against any of the controllers priced 3x as much.

Now if your looking for a decent titanium controller that won't break the bank (and this rules jagers out, pity they don't make a titanium) I have been having real good luck with these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=280598717794&si=i1WBbkAqskHeqhDNZupRHuVWknY%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT Pretty darn accurate with an external controller. However, I must warn you I have only owned the longest 6 months so I can't speak for longevity.

If your curious about the digital controller it is here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-Digital-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-99-C-a0-/270683233954?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f05fa5ea2 There is however some wiring you will need to do with this unit, but if you can rewire a lamp, you can wire this thing.

Jhhnn
12-31-2010, 02:26 PM
I've been using jagers set to 88-90F plugged into the finnex hc-0800 controllers set to a lower temp for over a year with no failures at all. The dial calibration on the finnex isn't perfect, but compensating is a snap... Theoretically, I have backup overheat control.

The finnex have a long sturdy 3-prong cord and dongle to accept any heater, but the temp probe lead is only ~1M long, limiting placement...

nc0gnet0
12-31-2010, 02:36 PM
When I speak of the finnex controllers, I should clarify that I am talking about the finnex analog external controllers that come attached to thier titanium heaters, and not the stand alone controller like the hc-0800, of which I have no expieriance.

vss
12-31-2010, 02:50 PM
Thanks guys again for all the great information. :)I have no experience with external temp controller before and don't know how they work. here's a very basic question: If I have a couple of heaters with max possible temp setting of 86 F (not enough for some treatments), by wiring them to an external temp controller, will they be able to go beyond 86 F or not? Thanks.

Xiaofei :)

nc0gnet0
12-31-2010, 03:04 PM
If I have a couple of heaters with max possible temp setting of 86 F (not enough for some treatments), by wiring them to an external temp controller, will they be able to go beyond 86 F or not? Thanks.

No. However if your willing to risk damaging your heater, some of them can be manipulated to go higher by removing the temperature dial and then replacing it a bit off of its original position. You have to be careful not to force the worm screw within the heater beyond its stop point and this will take a carefull "feel". Try at your own risk.

Ardan
12-31-2010, 04:08 PM
http://kensfish.com/stealthheaters.html
Kensfish really has some good prices on these and I have had good luck with them.

Ardan

Nismo
12-31-2010, 04:14 PM
I've had my via aquas titanium heaters with the external controls for 6 months now. The temperature readings seem pretty good.

I have my hydor heater thats stuck in the on position in my aging water tank.

Jhhnn
12-31-2010, 06:47 PM
When I speak of the finnex controllers, I should clarify that I am talking about the finnex analog external controllers that come attached to thier titanium heaters, and not the stand alone controller like the hc-0800, of which I have no expieriance.

I think it's probably the same controller. Are the titanium heaters wired directly into the controllers, or is there a plug, like with the hc-0800?

nc0gnet0
12-31-2010, 09:34 PM
They are wired directly and the two cannot be seperated. The heaters I speak of look like this:
http://www.saltwateraquariumadvice.com/afawcs0149028/CATID=78/ID=314/SID=146418043/Finnex-500-watt-Titanium-Heater-System-for-100-120-gallon-tanks.html

Once again this is not a recomendation, as I find these to have to much temperature drift, although the heating element itself is fine, I would only use them with another controller, unless =/- 4 degrees is acceptable to the application.

roundfishross
12-31-2010, 11:01 PM

plus 1 these are all I have been running for over a year I bought over 40 of them and so far none have quit:D

roundfishross
12-31-2010, 11:10 PM
if you want rock solid go witha process technology 1000watt titanium emersion heator with a johnson controlls thermostat. I have been running one of these off a marineland commercial tank from walmart they are unstoppable. you can let this heater get warm then unplug it and cool it off completly under running ice cold water then set it down on the counter and it will have enough residual heat emmiting from the epoxy fill inside that it will make water sizzle when it comes into contact with it. this is only if you let it get too hot!! they are industrial grade and truly the last heater you will ever buy. just dont forgett the check book!!!!

roundfishross
12-31-2010, 11:26 PM
a few pics this thing will heat 500 gal it is serious!!

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz326/roundfishross/cd945b5f.jpg
http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz326/roundfishross/350f0096.jpg
http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz326/roundfishross/c13091fc.jpg
http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz326/roundfishross/68421e27.jpg

Dkarc@Aol.com
01-01-2011, 12:38 AM
Cant go wrong with a Process Tech heater!

-Ryan

hedut
01-01-2011, 02:18 AM
http://kensfish.com/stealthheaters.html
Kensfish really has some good prices on these and I have had good luck with them.

Ardan

I use that beside jager last time when I start and few tank buy 5 only 3 that accurate 2 set so many time but just won't work even I did ask for replacement:(

Jhhnn
01-01-2011, 10:03 AM
No. However if your willing to risk damaging your heater, some of them can be manipulated to go higher by removing the temperature dial and then replacing it a bit off of its original position. You have to be careful not to force the worm screw within the heater beyond its stop point and this will take a carefull "feel". Try at your own risk.

One of the advantages of the Jagers is that once calibrated they can be set as high as 93F. I suspect that they can go even higher if calibrated with an offset of a few degrees, where, say, the actual temp is 2 degrees higher than the indicated across the full range.

As you say, at your own risk.

nc0gnet0
01-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Roundfishross

I know that UV Sterilizer :)

nc0gnet0
01-01-2011, 12:51 PM
The titanium Catalina heaters I linked to earlier go to 93 degrees as well. I know there are alot of jager fans here, but my clumsy hands still prefer the titaniums. They have a way slimer profile and are much smaller than the jagers.