PDA

View Full Version : Need Help On A Water Storage Unit and Pump

samcatj
01-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Hello -

If anyone has an opinion on a good, strong, heavy duty garbage can to be used as a water storage unit I would appreciate hearing about it. I am thinking about purchasing a 55 gallon Brute plastic garbage can but was wondering what other people are using and if they are happy with their current system.

Also, any information on a good, powerful pump to move the water from the storage unit to the aquariums would be helpful.

Thanking you in advance for your response. Happy New Year to all.

Samcatj

Jhhnn
01-02-2011, 11:24 PM
Brute trashcans are widely used and apparently fine for the purpose. I use 55gal recycled blue plastic drums, but you need to be careful of the source and the previous contents. I use submersible Danner 9.5 mag drive pumps, but I need to lift water from the cellar up to my tanks. I'd suggest you call Ken at Kensfish, explain your setup, let him advise you. he carries a variety of pumps likely suitable to your purposes. I like the submersibles because I never take them out of the barrel. It's smart to cover the barrel, and to insulate it with rigid foam on the bottom and reflectix or a water heater insulating jacket cut to fit. Saves money on heating the water in the long run.

Eddie
01-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Distance and height for the water to travel would be something good for others to know, to advise on a pump.

discussmith
01-03-2011, 10:34 PM
I can't recommend any particular garbage can, as I was fortunate enough to aquire some 55 gal. plastic drums which would be the best if available. Sump pumps are designed to do exactly what we need and I use the all plastic variety. They are inexpensive and readily available at most lumber or farm stores. I have a mag 2400 that I was using but I found it to be an unneeded power and expense as these other pumps are under $50 and pump hard and fast enough.

Jhhnn
01-05-2011, 10:10 AM
I can't recommend any particular garbage can, as I was fortunate enough to aquire some 55 gal. plastic drums which would be the best if available. Sump pumps are designed to do exactly what we need and I use the all plastic variety. They are inexpensive and readily available at most lumber or farm stores. I have a mag 2400 that I was using but I found it to be an unneeded power and expense as these other pumps are under $50 and pump hard and fast enough.

Yeh- a mag 2400 is entirely too much pump unless you're filling an enormous aquarium at high head and long distance. It's a pump for outdoor water features...

DiscusOnly
01-05-2011, 10:38 AM
I use the brute container for my RO water. Very sturdy and well worth the money. Sure you can find some used food graded 55gal barrels but I just can't trust them.

foreese
01-05-2011, 11:47 AM
I only had a single 55 gallon drum and it was taking three days to change all of my tanks so I purchased a 200 gallon tank from Plastic-Mart http://www.plastic-mart.com/class.php?cat=109 and a Corallife 580-p from Dr. Foster. Plumbed it to the house supply and added ball valves to control the flow. Furthermore, I left my 55 gallon drum up and it now has RO only that I mix 75/25 when I pump it to different tanks. Now I can change 10 tanks ~315 gallons between 50 and 80% and maintenance in a couple hours twice a week and three juvenile tanks at 80% twice a day in 15 minutes.