PDA

View Full Version : looking for help on sexing discus

indica09
01-03-2011, 03:11 PM
I have no idea how to sex discus. I know that they have to be older. Can I get a couple tips?

Also I took a picture and if anyone can tell what this one is I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

vss
01-03-2011, 03:21 PM
It looks like a male to me, judging from the tip at the end of the dorsal fin. later a trailer might be developed there. when you see this trait, 95%+ chance it's gonna be a male. females with trailer are very rarely seen.

there is no 100% rule for sexing discus until you see their tubes. there are a few general rule of thumb, like for red/brown based discus, females tend to show redder color; for blue turqoise, male is more solid than female in general; when in breeding mood, the females show darker and broader black halo around the dosal and anal fins. In a pair, the male usually has more aggressive eye sights, and usually swim to the front of the female as you get close to the breeding tank, etc.

-Xiaofei :)

indica09
01-03-2011, 03:40 PM
I have had many different types of cichlids and have observed that typically the males when fighting go mouth to mouth. Would people here say that is true for discus as well?

hironobu
01-03-2011, 05:23 PM
I would say male too because of what xiaofei said and the bump on the forehand.

Eddie
01-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Bumps on foreheads, shapes of fins...are all very inaccurate methods for sexing discus. I have females, all with trailers, purely related to water and diet. I do however think its a male, using Andrew Soh's method of the shape of the vent area, where the breeding tube is located. It's been accurate for me about 80-90% of the time.

moik
01-03-2011, 07:06 PM
please explain Adrews method for sexing discus???
Bumps on foreheads, shapes of fins...are all very inaccurate methods for sexing discus. I have females, all with trailers, purely related to water and diet. I do however think its a male, using Andrew Soh's method of the shape of the vent area, where the breeding tube is located. It's been accurate for me about 80-90% of the time.

Eddie
01-03-2011, 07:15 PM

Can't, you have to get his book. ;)

DiscusKev
01-03-2011, 08:52 PM

wah, you don't have his book, thought you did.

Can't, you have to get his book. ;)

Lol, nice one. Though, it's 'hidden' somewhere on SD (meaning, it was discussed before).