PDA

View Full Version : gravel vs sand, pros and cons

agrainger
01-04-2011, 08:15 PM
About to start my first discus tank.
have been told by some use sand
and others use gravel

what are the pros and cons to each.
don't want a bare bottom but want to keep best quality with lowest maint as possible.

always used a python to drain and vac tanks with prev tanks, wouldn't it suck up the sand?

Frankr409
01-04-2011, 08:23 PM
Others will say sand because of compaction that will keep detritus on the top. Others will suggest gravel as it will not develop anaerobic pockets possibly belching sulphur dioxide into your tank and harming your fish.

discuspaul
01-04-2011, 09:03 PM
IMO the pros of sand outweigh the cons.
(Use a relatively thin layer to avoid the anaerobic pockets).
Easy to clean up off the top layer of the sand (maybe not with a python, however), does a great job with plants, is user-friendly on any bottom dwellers, and really sets off the colors of the fish & plants - natural looking.

agrainger
01-04-2011, 09:09 PM
[QUOTE=discuspaul;714442Easy to clean up off the top layer of the sand (maybe not with a python, however)[/QUOTE]

ok, then how do you clean it without sucking up the sand?

Frankr409
01-04-2011, 09:14 PM
ok, then how do you clean it without sucking up the sand?. Been there done that...you will mitigate it somewhat by using a heavier sand, pool sand was suggested by some.

Jennie
01-04-2011, 10:26 PM
Pool sand is heavier and I do use a python to clean mine with. It works fine by skimming the debris from the top..

Len
01-04-2011, 10:31 PM
I also have pool filter sand in one of my tanks and use a python to clean it. As Discuslover65 said, just skim the top to clean it and you won't suck up much, if any. Also churn it around with your hand once in a while and you will keep the top of it looking brighter and avoid any dead pockets.

discuspaul
01-04-2011, 11:14 PM
All good advice above. I just use a narrow neck/angled vac for the first 2-3 go-rounds by hand, and it works like a charm, picking up all the waste, without taking up any sand.

jimg
01-04-2011, 11:21 PM
bb is still the best imo. sand and gravel can both still harbor and become breeding grounds for nasties just the same

Eddie
01-04-2011, 11:54 PM
bb is still the best imo. sand and gravel can both still harbor and become breeding grounds for nasties just the same

+1, I would never use gravel, ever. If anything, a very thin layer of sand, very easy to clean if you have a steady hand. ;)

DiscusFreakaZoid
01-05-2011, 12:17 AM
yes if u do sand must do a very thin layer. i have sand in mine and its very easy to skim the top off with a siphon and sometimes ill get sand sucked up in the bucket but its not the end of the world. just put the sand back. i use a marineland siphon, the one u jerk up n down and its not that strong doesnt suck too hard. can also do half n half. heres my tank if u want an idea. I luv a simplistic decorated tank that is eye pleasing as well as gives discus a hiding place .

Skip
01-05-2011, 12:55 AM
bare bottom is the way to go.. for reals.. just spray paint the outside of the tank on the back and bottom.. :)) soo much easier to clean.. you will be much happier and your fish even more happy : )) i started out with gravel but got rid of it after about a week :) been much happier ever since :)

Jennie
01-05-2011, 01:12 AM
I can see the ease of BB but honestly pool filter sand is a breeze for sub adult/adult tanks

fishorama
01-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Pool sand is tops! I may never use gravel, ever, again. BB is even easier...

Melissa
01-06-2011, 07:11 AM
I use play sand from home depot. It's like 4 bucks for 50 freakin pounds so if I suck up a little sand... It's not a big deal lol :-P