PDA

View Full Version : chlore dioxide

plecocicho
01-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Hello, since new year my local muncipal water company is starting to disinfect tap water with chlore dioxide, clo2. This gas reacts immediatelly with organic compounds (and bacteria) and end products are chlorite and chlorid. Do you have nay experience with that kind of disinfection in your town/country and how could be this two compounds rendered so they could not harm my discus.

Chad Hughes
01-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Chlorine dioxide is actually a bit better than chlorine IMHO.

Chlorine dioxide does not affect cell walls, while chlorine tends to react with organic matter by attacking cell walls and creating toxic and carcinogenic byproducts. Chlorine Dioxide disassembles organic compounds rendering them harmless, which is why it is safe to use around living things.

Chlorine Dioxide is a natural anti-inflammatory, along with the disinfecting properties, making it useful for wound treatment. The anti-microbial efficacy of chlorine dioxide against bacteria, fungi, viruses and protozoa has been repeatedly demonstrated and documented. It has a low toxicity.

I would continue the use of a water conditioner such as prime.

Best wishes!

Hogman
01-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Usually, not in all circumstances, chlorine dioxide is used during the winter months at surface water treatment plants. Thats when we use it at the water plant i operate. Chlorine gas is still used in conjuction with a chlorine dioxide generator. Chlorite is the by-product, depending on your state, must be maintained below 1 ppm or 1 mg/l. So, even if your water supplier switches back and forth between chlorine dioxide and straight chlorine, this will not affect what you use, and or dosages to remove chlorine. Hope that helps.

Chad Hughes
01-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Great info! ;)