PDA

View Full Version : Egg white in discus recipe? High in protein, low in fat, why not?

ericatdallas
01-05-2011, 06:36 PM
I'm looking through BH recipes and -most- call for you to discard the whites. Why? Is it because of sodium content? I would think you would want to 1) use the whole egg or 2) use the white.

The main reason I ask is because I have recipes that call to discard egg whites. It would be ideal to be able to bake something and rather than waste all that egg white, to put it in the discus BH recipe instead.

I don't want to do it at the cost of hurting the discus though.

-Eric

Skip
01-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Eric.. if you are trying this for first time.. keep it simple.. for the first batch (i also made eddies seafood mix, this like it too).. my best batch so far is BH/Shrimp/flake/pellet.. i still have some left.. so i have worked on adding more to it.. but for the times.. make a small batch to get your fish to eat it.. then try the other stuff.. to start off ..

ps.. i haven't really seen recipes that call for eggs : / so i do not have input for you sorry..

Eddie
01-05-2011, 07:06 PM
I dont use eggs at all, no need.

William Palumbo
01-05-2011, 07:59 PM
I'm not sure why, but my early mixes I would put eggs in it...also raw liver...Bill

hedut
01-05-2011, 08:18 PM
also raw liver...Bill[/QUOTE]

so do we have to boiled? I use raw and blend them???

William Palumbo
01-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Yes, raw egg and raw liver. The liver in the mix seemed to work well, but was messy, and I HATED the smell od it raw...Bill

jimg
01-05-2011, 08:42 PM
I use egg yolks and I boil the calves liver for 2-3 minutes

ericatdallas
01-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Eric.. if you are trying this for first time.. keep it simple.. for the first batch (i also made eddies seafood mix, this like it too).. my best batch so far is BH/Shrimp/flake/pellet.. i still have some left.. so i have worked on adding more to it.. but for the times.. make a small batch to get your fish to eat it.. then try the other stuff.. to start off ..

ps.. i haven't really seen recipes that call for eggs : / so i do not have input for you sorry..

No, this will be my second batch. I threw in an egg yolk as one recipe called for... I figured what the heck, it's nutritious but while I was doing it, I wondered why no egg whites.

My wife wants me to make creme caramel, which discards all the whites. I've always hated doing it, but I have no other purpose for them. I figured, if it doesn't harm the fish, why not? I don't want to put -all- of it, but I figured 2-3 would be good.

I looked up the nutrition content
http://www.fitsugar.com/Egg-White-Vs-Egg-Yolk-Which-Better-364527

and it seems egg white has good protein but lacks some of the nutritional content (which is offset by the multivitamin I throw in).

wgtaylor
01-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Whole egg is a great source of calcium which is limited in most other foods. Great for baby growouts. Some scramble the eggs then blend in with the mix.
Bill

Eddie
01-05-2011, 10:10 PM
I just add a calcium citrate supplement per Andrew Soh's recommendation.

vss
01-06-2011, 01:30 AM
I tried whole egg before and did not have any problem. actually I think the egg white holds the mix pretty well like Jelly.

-Xiaofei :)

CliffsDiscus
01-06-2011, 06:24 PM
I used the powder egg white as a binder, plus the egg white is 99 % protein.

Cliff

ericatdallas
01-06-2011, 07:58 PM
I used the powder egg white as a binder, plus the egg white is 99 % protein.

Cliff

Yeah, I don't have a problem using that... except this was meant to get rid of excess egg white rather than go to waste :)

...but good to know. That means other people have had success with using egg white so I'll probably use some and freeze some next time I make creme brulee.

seanyuki
01-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Hey eddie.....how much calcium citrate to be added the food receipe........getting old and cannot recall....1 gm to 1000 gms b/h ?