PDA

View Full Version : I want any help and advice!

aceeagle7
01-07-2011, 01:53 AM
I just got 2 discus a snow white male and dirty pigeon blood female. My tank parameters are as follows:
ph: 7.5
gh: 120 ppm
kh: 60 ppm
nitrates: 10 ppm
nitrites:0 ppm
ammonia: 0 ppm
I know my tanks parameters are off for discus but they are thriving and i wanna know why. both eat out of my hand readily. please help me understand why they are doing so good in this kind of water.
I am also ordering peat to help with the parameters.

William Palumbo
01-07-2011, 02:10 AM
What parameters are off? If worried about the hardness and ph...Don't...Keep them in clean stable water. If are doing so well, why would you even think about changing things? That's where the problems arise. Leave it alone...Bill

ericatdallas
01-07-2011, 09:25 AM
I just got 2 discus a snow white male and dirty pigeon blood female. My tank parameters are as follows:
I know my tanks parameters are off for discus but they are thriving and i wanna know why. both eat out of my hand readily. please help me understand why they are doing so good in this kind of water.

My water is a lot harder than yours and hence a lot more "off"...

domesticated discus are a lot more tolerant of hard water especially if you get it from a local breeder. The one I got mine from says some of his breed in local tap (very hard). I was hesitant of buying discus because I didn't want to buy RO filters. Then I did a quick search (incl this site) and found out that 'perfect' water parameters are based in truth but mostly in the realm of myth with domesticated discus.

If you're talking about PH, I think mine hovers between 7-8 and my discus are thriving. I know a couple of other hobbyists in the area with the same water and theirs are thriving too...

As a fellow 'n00b' I would recommend you didn't try to mess with the water chemistry too much especially since your discus are doing well as you said.

The only time you want more controlled water parameters is when you're breeding and even then, like stated above, there are exceptions to the rule.

PAR23
01-07-2011, 10:45 AM
If its not broken, don't fix it. As stated by Bill, stability is the key. Don't worry so much about achieving a "specific" number or parameter. I would however add more discus if space allows as they like to be in numbers.

Chad Hughes
01-07-2011, 12:23 PM
I keep hundreds of discus in water exactly like yours. My Ph is in the 8's. As mentioned above, stable parameters are better than trying to meet some soft, acidic standards.

aceeagle7
01-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Thanks alot you guys. I am going to get at least 2 more before its over with this site is very helpful. and i wont change a thing :)

jimg
01-07-2011, 07:06 PM
If its not broken, don't fix it. As stated by Bill, stability is the key. Don't worry so much about achieving a "specific" number or parameter. I would however add more discus if space allows as they like to be in numbers.

DITTO!

aceeagle7
01-08-2011, 01:57 AM
I also have another question my friend who lives a couple of miles away just got into discus to and his water is exactly the same as mine but one of his discus came from the supplier with a red sore he fixed it completely then about a week or two later after it healed it in the middle of where the sore used to be a small what looked to be pimple formed and now its a hole thats not getting better or worse idk if its HITH or some secondary infection from the previous red sore working its way out please help so i can tell him what he needs to do.

PAR23
01-08-2011, 12:37 PM
I also have another question my friend who lives a couple of miles away just got into discus to and his water is exactly the same as mine but one of his discus came from the supplier with a red sore he fixed it completely then about a week or two later after it healed it in the middle of where the sore used to be a small what looked to be pimple formed and now its a hole thats not getting better or worse idk if its HITH or some secondary infection from the previous red sore working its way out please help so i can tell him what he needs to do.

Have your buddy post in the disease section but first answer the disease questionnaire which will help members here to give you better recommendations.