PDA

View Full Version : forced pairing

dpete9
01-07-2011, 02:09 PM
Hi everyone.
I have three pairs of discus. one pair spawns regularly and it's now time to separate the male from the female as they are fighting over the fry. I have another pair that seems to have lost interest in each other. I was thinking about moving the male from the fry and putting him in a tank with the female from the pair (or vice versa)that lost interest in each other. Are there any good suggestions to help this go smoothly?

Pete

kaceyo
01-07-2011, 05:16 PM
It usually goes better to put the more aggressive one into the other ones tank. Less territorial issues that way.

wendy9722
01-07-2011, 07:03 PM
I thought about doing that myself. I wonder if it really works.

dpete9
01-09-2011, 04:53 PM
well I just did it today. I have the seasoned female with the non breeding male. so far there is zero aggression just swimming with each other. :love:

kaceyo
01-09-2011, 06:16 PM
well I just did it today. I have the seasoned female with the non breeding male. so far there is zero aggression just swimming with each other. :love:

That's a good start. Now it's all up to them. IME it won't be long before she starts cleaning dancing and drawing him into the pre-spawning preparations.

wendy9722
01-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Well, I have 2 pairs and the one pair does nothing since I've had them. So since the other pair has just laid eggs yesterday. Plus he likes to eat them I'm going to separate him from the eggs and mom and see what happens on that end. Hopefully he will get her enticed to spawn. If the separation of the other pair with the eggs dont get results I'm not sure what I'm going to do to achieve my goal. I guess keep trying.

oh and what do you think of the results of a lss and a bss would be like? any good?