PDA

View Full Version : Question on some crosses

William Palumbo
01-08-2011, 03:04 AM
Since I was having a hard time crossing my Altum SS's(Asian) with each other, I decided to cross them with "seasoned" breeders. Stendkers to be exact. I have the following spawns as of now:

AltumSS(M)xFlachen(F)
AltumSS(F)xBlue SS(German)(M)
AltumSS(F)xRed Scribblet(M)

Any ideas on what they will throw? The Altums by nature are a big, high bodied fish. I have a batch now of the first two crosses that are a bit larger than quarter size. The AltumSSxRed Scribblet, just went FS tonight. I can see out of the Flachen cross, which ones are SS's and which ones are not. I guess what I am wondering, would I get any high-bodied Red Scribblets and/or Flachens? Just wondering how dominant that Altum gene would be. Any ideas? Thanks...Bill

vss
01-08-2011, 04:33 AM
i've no experience but i guess it's not very dominant...or else we would easily see altum flora/SS similar to yours in size and shape somewhere else lately. it might improve the shape in general by such a cross though...I guess yours are the very best generation of altums, and of course they are really lucky to be raised by you. For the few cases of inbreeding altum floras that I've seen online, the offsprings are nice, but might not be as high body and large as yours.

Good luck!
Xiaofei :)

p.s. having a tankful of altum floras/SS like yours is always my dream :)

William Palumbo
01-08-2011, 10:22 AM
Thanks Xiaofei for the compliments! The quality of the AltumSS's I got from Mike were great, and that just makes raising them that much more easier. I guess we'll have to see how they turn out. Just not a lot of space for growing that many up...Bill

moik
01-08-2011, 12:17 PM
I think no matter what your crosses are ,the fry are going to be great..All pretty much blue based fish..Some fish are 9 bar with ohters 14 bar should make an intresting cross no matter what..I always enjoyed making a cross pair to see what all comes out of a batch of fry..ecspecially the odd ball ones you never expect..

wgtaylor
01-08-2011, 04:10 PM
Perfect blend of Asian and German cooked up by a master American Chef.
Those have to be some good crosses Bill. Great opportunity for someone to get healthy homegrown discus.:):)
Bill

Jason K.
01-08-2011, 04:34 PM
hey bill, with all those pairs you got going down there it's no wonder you have no free tank space for growing some out... but I'd be more than happy to help and grow some myself... love the altumss monster fish for sure!

vss
01-08-2011, 05:57 PM
Oh sorry I didn't see you are crossing the altums with Stendkers! crossing two very distinct giant blood lines, sounds like there is going to be some chemical reactions lol... would definitely like to pick some up as they reach 3'', if they haven't been sold out at that time :)

-Xiaofei :)

William Palumbo
01-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Well at least I'm glad for some positive reassurance that they should be nice. Which is good enough for me! Thanks everyone. I agree, it's always fun to watch and see what a crosses turns out to look like. Jay and Xiaofei...get them while they last!...LOL...Wish I had the space to raise them all to 3"+ but that is a LOT of space and food! I am planning on keeping a handful for myself, but that's about all...Bill..P.S. I think after the parents raise this second batch, I'll place the Altums SS back together. Hopefully they will know what to do now.

Jennie
01-08-2011, 07:28 PM
I thing the altum SS and Blue SS would def. look awsome

roclement
01-08-2011, 07:44 PM
That is one of my goals, aome asian fish bred with Stenkers, then F1 back with parents and see what happens...now I need more tank space...

Rodrigo

William Palumbo
01-08-2011, 11:35 PM
LOL Rod...ALWAYS more tanks! I'm with you Jennie. Hoping for some offspring with the higher body, and a more striated or solid type of pattern, unlike the fine-line of the parent. We shall see!...Bill

Eddie
01-10-2011, 08:18 AM
I think they will be producing LOVE, all three crosses will be exceptional! Keep us posted on the babies.

All the best,

eddie

Jennie
01-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Love those high body looks! Hope you keep a few. Would love to see how they develop
LOL Rod...ALWAYS more tanks! I'm with you Jennie. Hoping for some offspring with the higher body, and a more striated or solid type of pattern, unlike the fine-line of the parent. We shall see!...Bill

Justice
01-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Love those high body looks! Hope you keep a few. Would love to see how they developX2

jball1125
01-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Those crosses sound exiting!

You should start a time line thread Bill. Would love to see those babies as they grow.

William Palumbo
03-28-2011, 11:41 PM
Here's a quick update on these crosses. This is a 75g of Discus I am keeping for myself for now. It's a mix of all the above crosses, so their ages are not uniform, hence the size difference. The first pic is blurry, but shows the average shape of the fish best. Besides the AltumSS's in there...the Flachen cross are going to be really sweet. Their body shape is where I was hoping it would be...Bill

kent1963
03-29-2011, 12:00 AM
Looking good Bill. Whats the average size? Nice mix of patterns in there.

William Palumbo
03-29-2011, 12:11 AM
Thanks Kent...I would say 3+inches...a few bigger...Bill

John_Nicholson
03-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Look great BIll.

-john

William Palumbo
03-29-2011, 01:58 PM
Thanks John...Bill

Larry Bugg
03-29-2011, 02:39 PM
Very nice indeed. Gonna be fun to see them a few months from now.

Condor
03-31-2011, 12:35 PM
Awesome Bill those are turning out sweet!!!! Good Job.

Adrian

hedut
03-31-2011, 08:58 PM
WOW, miss this. They so beautiful Bill, keep us up date ;)

William Palumbo
03-31-2011, 09:27 PM
Thanks everyone. I am actually changing water on them now...Again!,,,I will post some more pics in a few days. I removed the Red Scribblets, so now everything in there is a Altum cross of some kind or other...Bill

Eddie
03-31-2011, 09:53 PM
Awesome Bill! Love the shape! Can't wait to see them in full colors.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Jennie
04-01-2011, 06:18 AM
wow Bill, I see a couple I really like!

ockyra215
04-01-2011, 10:38 AM
I missed this thread.Bill would love to raise a batch of these out are you shipping!!