PDA

View Full Version : Planning on Getting Some Discus, what supplier(s) to use?

seguragr
01-10-2011, 05:45 PM
I am planning to get some Discus, though the actual purchase will be about a month out. I am trying to do some research to make sure that I buy from a reputable dealer so that I know I will be getting healthy, happy fish.

Any recommendations on who to use? I went through the sponsor section on here, but it seems like virtually all of the sponsors are no longer in business.

Eddie
01-10-2011, 06:00 PM
I am planning to get some Discus, though the actual purchase will be about a month out. I am trying to do some research to make sure that I buy from a reputable dealer so that I know I will be getting healthy, happy fish.

Any recommendations on who to use? I went through the sponsor section on here, but it seems like virtually all of the sponsors are no longer in business.

LOL, I don't know which sponsors you were looking at but I assure you, they are in business. Where are you located?

DonMD
01-10-2011, 06:12 PM
There are several sponsors here on Simply that have exquisite fish, and who are reliable, economical (compared to LFS), and responsive. Hans, Kenny, many others. Do some research.

Jhhnn
01-10-2011, 09:47 PM
There are several sponsors here on Simply that have exquisite fish, and who are reliable, economical (compared to LFS), and responsive. Hans, Kenny, many others. Do some research.

I couldn't agree more. I only have experience with Kenny Cheung, who's top shelf in my world. Not all sponsors appear in the dropdown, so click on "Simply Discus Sponsors" to bring up a full list.

It doesn't get any better than Simply sponsors...

seguragr
01-11-2011, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the responses. I'll take a look around some more. Maybe it was just that short list on the main forum page.

Have any of you used somethingphishy.com? I really like the look of their fire dragon discus and their red turquoise discus.

@Eddie - Located in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

I wish there was a breeder somewhere close, but I haven't found anything yet.

Second Hand Pat
01-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Do a search for somethingphishy. These is a thread dedicated to it, some good, mostly bad. Link below.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?41161-somethingsphishy-feedback&highlight=somethingphishy

Skip
01-11-2011, 03:37 PM
segur.. those pics are not even of his actual fish.. and he won't give pics.. or a tour.. you need to look more closely.. at the sponsor section.. they sell, actual discus and/or supplies.. for discus..

ericatdallas
01-11-2011, 03:47 PM
I almost bought from somethingphishy.com too but did a quick search and found A LOT OF angry customers online. Not just from this site, but others as well.

ericatdallas
01-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Oh, if you're cheap like me, why don't you search on Craigslist or your local fish club. That's how I got my current fish, from a local hobbyist (that's a member here). I had to drive about an hour and half, but it was worth it.

I used to live in ABQ. I miss those Golden Pride burritos...

Jhhnn
01-11-2011, 09:01 PM
I almost bought from somethingphishy.com too but did a quick search and found A LOT OF angry customers online. Not just from this site, but others as well.

Rainforest Farms International has the same reputation- just say no.

I got lucky when I found this forum and when I started doing business with Kenny Cheung. I really mean that. Several of our other sponsors have well earned stellar reputations as well. Other vendors may have flashier web presence, but our long time sponsors are among the best in the business at sending us what we want- vibrant, healthy discus.

ericatdallas
01-11-2011, 11:00 PM
I have never used him, I've meant to go a few times, but Mike Beals (Central Ohio Discus has a great local reputation too). He's a sponsor on this forum. Whenever I ask people around here (Ohio) where they got their discus, he's one of the top answers and most people speak highly of him. He also sells on Aquabid... another place you could consider going to get your fish...

danny2013
01-12-2011, 12:30 AM
I would highly advise you to only order from sponsors here. That way you will get great customer service. You also dont have to worry if the fish really are the fish in the pictures. I myself have had bad experience with something phishy when i asked them a question about there stock and they banned me. Hope that helps, Dan

thepup
01-14-2011, 02:15 PM
I would look for a local breeder first, they will be raised using the same water supply you will be using. Just my opinion though.

seguragr
06-10-2011, 12:58 PM
I looked everywhere for a local breeder and couldn't find one (though I'm hoping that can be me someday), but I did find a hobbyist here in town who orders from breeders and sells discus.

I bought my first two discus from him and they seem to be good. They are nice and healthy and they eat well (though one of them refuses to eat BH flake).

It seems to be a pretty good arrangement for now because he doesn't sell his fish until they have gotten acclimated to his tanks for a few weeks. That way I can see the fish and looks for good shape and color before I buy anything.

The problem is that he doesn't order from lots of different breeders so he can't get some strains that I want. I really want a white scorpion. (off topic but does anyone know who breeds them?).

Thanks for all your help and comments.

Skip
06-10-2011, 01:17 PM
mike beals has some white butter flys. .not much difference

kenny is in CA. .that is pretty close you to.. as sponsors go..

mmorris
06-12-2011, 08:19 AM
If you want a white scorpion, keep looking. Someone will have one at some point. Always get pics of the fish you are buying, or the tank of fish they will be picked from.