PDA

View Full Version : Prime

Palue
01-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Anyone here use Prime??

I bought a bottle of this stuff as I was told it was great stuff to use when starting a tank and when you do water changes as well.

What I have found is that when I do my water changes and after the water has been circulating for a while there seems to be a look in the water like when you pour a glass of water out of the tap that is warm sort of hazy looking.

When I add the Prime to water changes I use a very little bit. I have noticed my 3 bristlenose plecos at the top of the tank lately by the outflow, my Discus guy is not himself but looks just fine. So I did a water change today and did not any any Prime just to see how they react and to see if the water looks better too.

Anyone else have this issue??

noobF1
01-10-2011, 10:36 PM
Not a pro but just finish my water change about 20mins ago. The hazey looky thing when you poor the prime is NORMAL. As for my discus they all stay in the corner when i do my water change but after 15-30mins later back to normal and active again. Hope this help.

Palue
01-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Okay, but is it normal for this hazy look to stay there all the time?? It never goes away. Since I did the water change the bristlenose are back on the bottom of the tank on their piece of mopani. My Discus was staying at the top of the tank since I started using this stuff too. I am wondering if I had a build up of it in the tank.

dadecountyalan
01-10-2011, 10:57 PM
i never have a hazy look on my tank. and i do water changes every other day. and prime is the best.

NickB
01-10-2011, 11:58 PM
I found that the higher the water temp is the more of a hazy look you get when you add to the tank. Thats just what i have noticed when doing water changes because i was a little worried at first about that.

twocat
01-11-2011, 06:51 AM
Is the hazy look air bubbles?

Arjunpun
01-11-2011, 07:00 AM
i use prime and havent had any problem.if u running good filter the white stuff from warm water should go away after few minutes.i use little extra prime.

goodoo
01-11-2011, 07:22 AM
Its probably all the crap being stirred up within the tank.

Melissa
01-11-2011, 08:26 AM
It could be bubbles. If you do not age your water and you change water straight from the tap, there are lots of dissolved gases in tap water that can make the water look cloudy for a while. The cloudiness should go away after a while if it is the micro-bubbles thing. When you age water, it gives it a chance to breathe and 'gas off' those little bubbles...

It could also be a bacterial bloom... Is the tank cycled? I'm not sure if you said so or not.

I've used prime for a long time, and I've never had issues with it making water hazy.
When you say you did a water change and did NOT add any Prime, did you use any other dechlorinating product? Straight tap water can contain pretty nasty stuff that could kill your fish if you don't use a water conditioner like Prime or SAFE or Amquel +....

Elite Aquaria
01-11-2011, 08:42 AM
I personally do not use Prime any longer but when I used it I felt it was a great product. These days I sell ClorAm-X on my website so this is what I use. For me it is a cheaper option.

Jhhnn
01-11-2011, 09:23 AM
I've used prime since coming back to discus keeping in april of 2009, and haven't experienced any problems. I do age, aerate and heat water for 24 hrs or so after adding prime to the aging barrels. I've considered other products, but I trust prime, understand how much works with my water, and the price of the large jugs from Kensfish is reasonable.

It's important to use enough to neutralize the chlorine and/ or chloramines in your tap water w/o using way too much. Some basic math and a dosing syringe from the drugstore can help.

Tapwater contains dissolved gasses, often more so in the winter. When heated and depressurized, microbubbles form, which can be dangerous to your fish. That could be what's creating the whitish color in your water. Splashing or spraying make up water into your tank will help reduce microbubbles. Some hobbyists simply must age their water to get good results.

David Rose
01-11-2011, 09:51 AM
Seachem Prime and Seachenm SAFE are both excellent products and I carry them in my IGO PRO online store. SAFE is the powered form of PRIME and much more economical to use than any other product that I'm aware of.

That said, if you are using Prime while cycling or at start up this is most likely a side effect that will clear up once your tank has fully cycled. What are you water parameters?

Eddie
01-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Prime is great but Safe is more cost effective. I've been working on the same container of safe for AGES now. $30 and you have years worth of the stuff. I change ALOT of water so trust me, you won't have to buy a new container for a few years!

twocat
01-11-2011, 10:01 PM
I can not seem to find safe on the internet. Can someone tell me where I can buy some?

NickB
01-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Amazon sell Safe. I Just seen it today on there.

PAR23
01-11-2011, 10:26 PM
I can not seem to find safe on the internet. Can someone tell me where I can buy some?

Look at post # 12. IGO PRO.

David Rose
01-11-2011, 10:57 PM
Yes, yours truly.... IGO PRO (http://www.igopro-online.com)