PDA

View Full Version : How would you light this tank?

puntific
01-11-2011, 11:40 PM
I've got a 100 gal corner tank that is 3 feet long along each of the back walls, 10 inches long coming away from the wall and then about 4 feet across the front. I want to have a planted tank and I don't mind running CO2 ect. How would you light it best?

Here's a pic of the footprint of my tank.

Thanks,

puntific

well... the pick will come after I post a few more times I guess.

puntific
01-12-2011, 12:05 AM
Well, I got myself up to 10. Hopefully I wasn't too obnoxious. Anyway. Here's the picture of the tank footprint. Thanks in advance!

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss221/puntific/floorplan003.jpg

Second Hand Pat
01-12-2011, 12:17 AM
How deep is the tank and what types of plants do you want? Also do you have a layout in mind. I could see a 48 in across the front or two 24 in along the wall sides.

puntific
01-12-2011, 12:22 AM
I've currently got this tank set up as a reef tank and it has a 36 inch VHO in the front (parrallel to the right bottom side), a 24 inch vho across the back (again, parrallel to the front.) In addition, it's got 2x250 and also a 175 MH in there. I'm guessing those are gonna go... running the VHOs are a double workhorse 8 ballast.

Thanks

puntific

ps. Pat: It's 24 inches. I would like to keep a wide var. of plants (read: I have no idea.) I will be running CO2 and ferts I think, though I wouldn't mind having a lower maintanence tank. I am already equiped with a CO2 tank. I also don't have much of an idea yet on how I will scape it. Rocks and some driftwood and some plants. That about covers it right? And white sand...

puntific
01-12-2011, 12:25 AM
I could fit a 24 along each back wall and the 36 across the front. Would that be enough light? I was also thinking of some moonlights for longer enjoyment without lenthening the photoperiod.

Second Hand Pat
01-12-2011, 12:33 AM
I think the MH is an overkill but you could elevate it over the tank if you wanted to keep it. Are you doing planted, CO2 and discus? Do you have experience with any or all? If not I would go low light, no CO2 and adult discus. There is lots of learning curves and takes practical experience to figure it all out.

puntific
01-12-2011, 12:35 AM
Well, I'm pretty sure the MHs are going out the window. My plan is to get a good handle on the planted tank first and then add discus. I also have a 30 gal tall tank that I might keep BB and raise some juvies after the planted tank is pretty stable. Woud you still suggest starting low light, no co2?

ps. No experience with Discus or planted tank, but 10 years reefing and 4 years africans before that.

Second Hand Pat
01-12-2011, 12:49 AM
I have a 75 reef and believe it or not, a discus tank is more work. The tank and water must be kept very clean. Honestly I just got my first discus and I'm learning too. I would definitely suggest low light and no CO2. You might even consider BB and growing plants on DW. If you are going to raise juvies definitely BB for them. Do some research on this forum and ask lots of questions. BTW, welcome to simply and the folks here are very helpful and supportive.

puntific
01-12-2011, 12:51 AM
What's DW?

Darrell Ward
01-12-2011, 01:28 AM
If it's a plant tank, I would hang one of the MH lamps in a good reflector over the tank, adjust the height for coverage, and call it a day. Using just one, and hanging it, it should not be too much. Easy way to light an odd shaped tank. Job done!
It's not really a good idea however, to put juvie discus in a planted tank, or put discus in one's first planted tank either. Too many things can go wrong, too easily.

underwaterforest
01-12-2011, 04:27 AM
On my 36 gallon corner planted tank I have a 4x 24 watt t5 fixture up front and in the back where it tapers down I have a 50 watt CF single. It has very good overall coverage, the tank in my avatar is lit with that setup.

I have thought of making my 92 gallon discus corner tank into a planted but I probably wouldn't go crazy with high light plants and could get away with lower light output and do a 36" 4x39 watt t5 up front and a 50-100+ watt CF in the back. MH are a more elegant solution but I already have the T5s.

Good luck, mixing a matching light is the best way to go on a corner tank if you choose not to do a single point source like a MH.

Second Hand Pat
01-12-2011, 10:56 AM
What's DW?

Driftwood.

puntific
01-12-2011, 12:51 PM
OK, here's the thing. My furniture hood will not allow me to raise the lights. They will be 8-10 inches above the tank. If I position my 175 MH in the center, it won't light the sides. I could put one 24 inch T5 along each of the back and a 36 across the front. Alternately, I could just remove teh 39 and position the MH slightly further forward. Would this be too much light for planted Discus? Would floating plants help and/or would they burn under the MH?

Thanks,

puntific

Darrell Ward
01-12-2011, 05:46 PM
I'd get rid of the "furniture hood". What good is a pretty hood if it compromises what you what for the tank?

puntific
01-12-2011, 05:53 PM
It's not clear to me that it will compromise what is in the tank... anyway, I have a wife, so compromises are all part of the teritory...

Darrell Ward
01-12-2011, 06:13 PM
My point was, without the hood, you could raise a MH above the tank as much as you need to light the tank, and not put too much light in for your plants at the same time.

waj8
01-12-2011, 11:16 PM
I like Darrell's idea. The nicest setups I have seen have suspended light fixtures. If the tank were mine, I would go LED and make my own fixture.

MKD
01-16-2011, 10:51 AM
Well, I'm pretty sure the MHs are going out the window. My plan is to get a good handle on the planted tank first and then add discus. I also have a 30 gal tall tank that I might keep BB and raise some juvies after the planted tank is pretty stable. Woud you still suggest starting low light, no co2?

ps. No experience with Discus or planted tank, but 10 years reefing and 4 years africans before that.

i wanted planted discus tank too, but after read/question here and there, i end up low light planted tank (it's still plant and green, 'cause i only want to add some plants to my tank and CO2 tank sitting in garage). Anyway i point is high tech plants and discus require lot of works and headache to keep all in balance. I am still working on my tank to balance lighting, fertilize and algae balance. In regard to juvies discus, it depends how many you're going to get, but 30G is not enough space for them to grow IMO. When you're done, can you post some pics? good luck

Bill63SG
01-16-2011, 02:36 PM
It's not clear to me that it will compromise what is in the tank... anyway, I have a wife, so compromises are all part of the teritory...The perfect compromse leaves neither party satisfied.

puntific
01-16-2011, 02:54 PM
Bill, I think you have the truth of it if you insert the word "completely" into the correct spot...