PDA

View Full Version : Mutant Planet

scottthomas
01-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Anyone watch this show on the Science Channel? I love these wildlife HD type programs. The previews to this episode look great. Lots of African Rift Lake Cichlids in action. Also looks like the episode has to do with at monkeys too. ~Not as interested in that :(

Science Channel
Jan 18,
10:00 pm
60 min(s)
Mutant Planet
Africa's Rift Valley Lakes
http://science.discovery.com/tv/mutant-planet/

Rod
01-13-2011, 03:58 AM
Looks like a fascinating show Scott, i hope it comes to Australia.

Have you read 'The Cichlid Fishes' by the late George Barlow? He was an evolutionary biologist and professor emeritus at the University of California in Berkeley. What a great read, and especially the information about the african rift lakes and the cichlids in them, is extraordinary. Definately worth a look if you like this subject.

scottthomas
01-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Looks like a fascinating show Scott, i hope it comes to Australia.

Have you read 'The Cichlid Fishes' by the late George Barlow? He was an evolutionary biologist and professor emeritus at the University of California in Berkeley. What a great read, and especially the information about the african rift lakes and the cichlids in them, is extraordinary. Definately worth a look if you like this subject.

No, I have not read that book. I will look for it since you have given it such a nice review. I have kept many African species over the years and I find them fascinating.

Thanks Rod

Bill63SG
01-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Anyone watch this show on the Science Channel? I love these wildlife HD type programs. The previews to this episode look great. Lots of African Rift Lake Cichlids in action. Also looks like the episode has to do with at monkeys too. ~Not as interested in that :(

Science Channel
Jan 18,
10:00 pm
60 min(s)
Mutant Planet
Africa's Rift Valley Lakes
http://science.discovery.com/tv/mutant-planet/

Thanks Scott.Kept Aficans for around 10 years until I switched to Discus.Checked to see if my provider carried the channel,and it does,set the dvr.Bill.

Joker43
01-13-2011, 08:29 PM
I have 4 tanks now with Tanganyikan cichlids in them and I get fry all the time. I can't wait til I get to say I have discus fry.

Bill63SG
01-20-2011, 01:24 AM
Well,I just watched it of the dvr,and it was quite enjoyable,but with William Shatner narrating it,seemed to loose credibility for me.Perfect example for me is we watched Life narrated by Oprah and we couldn't seem to stop making fun of it.I got the dvd from the bbc with David Attenborugh narrating,and it is like a different show,even with the same script.IMO.

scottthomas
01-21-2011, 07:16 PM
I agree, It was pretty good but the narration was lame. Still, after all these years I learned some new things about these fish. I had never seen the Peacock Imitator fish, or the one that plays dead or the one that folds itself beside a rock and waits in ambush. BTW are you a fellow guitar player Bill? Just guessing because of your avatar.

Bill63SG
01-22-2011, 05:38 PM
I agree, It was pretty good but the narration was lame. Still, after all these years I learned some new things about these fish. I had never seen the Peacock Imitator fish, or the one that plays dead or the one that folds itself beside a rock and waits in ambush. BTW are you a fellow guitar player Bill? Just guessing because of your avatar.Yes I am.Along with my wife letting turn a section of our basement into a "fish area",she let me take over the computer room and hang all my guitars out.Hadn't touched many for years,and with them out,been grabbing on a daily basis.Thats my first "real" guitar.Got it for $350 with a a case used about 30yrs ago.

scottthomas
01-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Sounds like we have some things in common. My basement is also fishhouse and our dining room is the jam headquarters; with all of my guitar and keyboard equipment. I have a couple friends that get together and we play a lot of Pink Floyd 's music. and some other stuff too of course. But A lot of Floyd.