PDA

View Full Version : is breeding cone size important ?

ss16534
01-14-2011, 09:34 AM
hi ,
i was just wondering is height of breeding cone important or discus lay eggs what ever cone we put in ? i have put 5 inch pot in it thanks

Altum Nut
01-14-2011, 10:27 AM
I really don't think size matters. "NO COMMENTS FROM WOMEN PLEASE" HA-HA-HA
Discus will spawn on just about anything...from tank glass panes, heaters, filter lift tubes, rocks, plant leaves etc.
My personal preference is Barbs special cones because they work and add some stylish decor.

...Ralph

ss16534
01-14-2011, 11:13 AM
thanks Ralph

William Palumbo
01-14-2011, 11:18 AM
I generally like to give them something that they can "run" up, without coming out of the water. In other words something in proportion to their body size. But as Ralph said, size is not that important. I've had them lay on the back of a thermometer, only inches in height!...Bill

gwrace
02-08-2011, 02:12 PM
I've been using these plastic pasta containers I purchased from Amazon. I fill them with brown gravel and the discuss love them. I could not locate any of these in my local dollar stores. They come three to a package. They are about 11 inches tall.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00354XMKS/ref=oss_product

Keith Perkins
02-08-2011, 06:20 PM
I prefer tapered wine bottles. They don't work any better, but the preparation is a lot more fun.

Disgirl
02-08-2011, 06:32 PM
I really don't think size matters. "NO COMMENTS FROM WOMEN PLEASE" HA-HA-HA
Discus will spawn on just about anything...from tank glass panes, heaters, filter lift tubes, rocks, plant leaves etc.
My personal preference is Barbs special cones because they work and add some stylish decor.

...Ralph
Thanks Ralph! Just now saw this thread. I also remember that some have had their discus lay eggs on a piece of beefheart mix. Now that is something I would like to see!
Barb

MostlyDiscus
02-08-2011, 07:51 PM
1/2 to 1 inch pvc pipe around 8 inches in height depending on the tank size. Silicone a base on the bottom. Really cool to see the wigglers against a white backround. Great for up close photos. Ed

Eddie
02-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Its not the size of the cone that matters, its how you use it. LOL :) I am actually just kidding myself but its wishful thinking.

Laborator
02-10-2011, 04:02 PM
i agree i use PVC pipes as well.

hedut
02-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Well bascilly just like other said. But while I was in Singapore for few months I saw like two type cone one like around 6" and others around 10" and others thing that I found that they use clay (a floor material) make kinda triangel ;)